[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so i have found myself in the need of 7 small child sized looms.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 13045448_02_alt_l.jpg (238KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
13045448_02_alt_l.jpg
238KB, 1000x1000px
so i have found myself in the need of 7 small child sized looms. and wile looking online i found that the average price is around 110 -120 USD. for pic related style. for the production of scarves. around12-8 in by 6 ft. now that would take far to long to recoup the cost from that initial investment so i was thinking i would put my armature woodworking skills to the test. and wile i was searching the internet for plans i found myself flooded with how to use a loom or even loom documentaries without being able to find proper plans for one. so i was wondering if you guys knew of any way you could help me find any proper plans.
>>
File: tumblr_mowuzjljs61qclp3jo1_500.png (239KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mowuzjljs61qclp3jo1_500.png
239KB, 500x384px
>>936661
Sorry, I'm helpless, I just needed to post pic related.
>>
>>936661
I'm not really seeing the need for plans. Granted, I don't know that much about weaving, but from what I'm seeing, you could easily make something like in that picture with some dowels and small cuts of wood...what is it you're unsure of being able to make?
>>
>>936698
It is obviously an elementary school teacher.
>>
>>936699
Well, from needing seven, it's that, some kind of scout master, or someone looking to start a child labor factory, but still.

And OP, if I came off sounding dickish, I didn't mean to, I'm happy to do my best to give you some ideas on how to put something like this together. The biggest pain will be the comb thingie, but there are ways to do that not too terribly difficultly.
>>
>>936707
well yea all i need is a way to get around those two pieces but it seems like that is just what you need so....
>>
>>936707

I am ok with a school teacher using /diy/ to develop lesson plans. wish i went to his school if hes the same hotdog guy.
>>
>>936723

any ideas about how to make them i've seen them use strings with loops tied into them to hook alternating strands into. but the piece that pushes the thread into the others seems to need to be a comb.
>>
>>936661
http://www.pugpro.com/loom/Loom2.pdf
>>
>>936661
Two words.

peg loom.
>>
>>936730
two words cheapparents, fundraiser.
>>
>>936741
?? wut a peg loom is just a fucking shitton of dowels. a power drill with a drill bit of the dowel size, and a single 2x4...

also really stupid easy to use, and it can be fast. you can make a full sized blanket in about 12 hours of work.. not bad considering how damn simple it is..
>>
>>936661
There was a mexican guy on youtube that built one of these with wood and plastic zip ties

Build a frame to hold the two rollers for the warp threads. Some sort of ratcheting system, then a rectangular frame with a ton of zip ties running vertically with a gap between them and use a small punch to put a hole in the middle. Youll run the warp threads alteranatively through the holes and gap s between the ties. Then by moving the frame up or down you create your shed.
>>
>>936834
Holy shit. I found the video.
https://youtu.be/0rC4vQIXDrQ

Dude has a lot of cool videos on making stuff.

I used his beater bar design when I fixed up great grandma's loom for my aunt.
>>
File: Untitled.png (6KB, 291x596px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6KB, 291x596px
>>936723
Alrighty, so the drill thing is the best way, but it's a royal pain in the ass if you don't have a drill press (which I assume you don't), and even then, it's kinda overkill for what I assume these will be used for.

The easy way is make some spacers and glue that stuff together. (in the attached image the red bits are whatever you're using for spacers, the black "teeth" of the comb would be dowels, and the black rectangular bit would be like a piece of cheap trim you're using to hold it all together). The spacers can be a cut up dowel, small nuts, or really anything that's about the same size as the dowels and are all the same size as each other. You can use wood glue to hold it all together (be liberal as hell), or just hot glue the stuff in place, then put like three small screws through the assembly for a more permanent hold (wood glue should hold it well enough though). You'll sandwich the dowels and spacers between two pieces of trim.

Another way to go about it would be to make a jig by nailing some dowels to another piece of wood at the interval you'll want. hold this against the piece of backing trim, then install your teeth to the backing trim, and when they're in place, you move the jig...this'd probably be the fastest way. If I did this, I'd use hot glue to hold them in place, then fill with wood glue.
>>
k, drawing some plans up any idea on how many threads across i would need?

planing on some think fuzzy scarves.

also what type of thread yarn should i use
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.