[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Angle Grinder Injury Help!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: eye.png (362KB, 576x364px) Image search: [Google]
eye.png
362KB, 576x364px
Hi Guys

Earlier today whilst using my Grinder i got hit in the eye by a piece of metal that got past my standard eye pro, now it seems i have nothing in my eye. (i can feel no sharp pains, or foreign objects) but my eye is quite sore do you think i should still go to hopsital?

pic semi related
>>
>>936428
Call an ophthalmologist and ask if they are equipped to deal with said injury. If they are not go drive yourself to an ER

Also post pics it might not be that bad
>>
yes, go just to make sure! i got something like this once an didnt Went and it infected and i need to have suregery to remove the part, because the normal way (they use a Little grinder/dremel thing) didnt fix it...
>>
>>936430
just called A&E and they told me to go down just in case :/

looks like im spending the night queuing, ill post a picute in a sec but theres nothing to see, just got a sore eye brb
>>
File: Picture 47.jpg (308KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 47.jpg
308KB, 1920x1080px
>>936433
>>
File: Picture 46.jpg (285KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 46.jpg
285KB, 1920x1080px
>>936436
>>
I don't see anything
>>
File: Picture 35.jpg (423KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 35.jpg
423KB, 1920x1080px
>>936437
also this is my cat
>>
>>936438
yeah thats why i dont wanna go, theres a walk in health centre near me so im gonna head there first, im not in any pain and i think my eye would hurt and be watering if something was wrong
>>
>>936436
>>936437
Yeah you probably have a microscopic metal splinter. Ophthalmologist will probably just rinse your eye out.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go to a doctor but you can take a garden hose and turn it up to full blast and flush your eye for a minute it will probably get rid of it.
>>
>>936440
Trauma can cause retinal detachment (complete blindness) days later that can be prevented by a doctor.

You could have a scratch in your cornea or sclera. They are difficult to see without fluorescein and a blue light.

Don't go to an ER, call local ophthalmologists until you find one that can see you today. If you don't have insurance or whatever, make a sob story about it and how you're really scared for your eye. Lots of doctors do pro bono work and will work out payment plans.

They're much more pissed off at people that bail on the bills completely and with no notice. If you're forthright that you're going to have payment issues they are good at working shit out.

It's a very simple procedure to check, but you can't do it yourself.
>>
I think you'll be fine. Any foreign crap will flush out naturally. Any microscopic splinters will rust away in a couple days.
If it gets worse, go to a doctor, otherwise don't worry about it.

source: I worked in a steel fab shop for years.
>>
>>936449
This guy knows. Don't bother with an ER. Most eye clinics will get you in quick for an emergency.

I lost most of my vision in my right eye because I waited too long before going in for an eye accident.
>>
I was welding and i forgot to put down my hood when I made a tack, I got something embedded in my left cornea and I can see a small irritating speck right by the center of my vision. this happened two years ago. Im considering putting a strong magnet up to my eye to try to pull it out, but I am kind of scared to try. any experience with this?
>>
>>936495
You probably can't get a magnet strong enough. Your body will have started breaking it down (the ring around it is it starting to migrate away)

It would be excruciating and you won't have any eye bandages to promote clean healing. Again, go to a pro. Don't fuck around with your eyes.

Your eyeballs have terrible circulation and healing capability because the blood vessels have to be thin enough for you to see through.
>>
First time posting!! same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. the scratching would drive you mad. Go to the hospital. they will put a dye in the eye(yellow-drops). once they have located the steel they will get you to rest your chin on a chinstrap and shine a light in your eye(i think it's the same device they use for eye tests), then carefully tease out the steel with a needle.(while unsettling, it is not painful as they will have numbed your eye beforehand). The sooner you get it out the less damage you'll do to your eye. hope this helps
>>
>>936507
This. It's your eye.

I wear safety glasses AND a clear face shield when grinding/brushing/etc, even with Dremel tools which throw shit quite nicely!
>>
>>936507
>now it seems i have nothing in my eye. (i can feel no sharp pains, or foreign objects) but my eye is quite sore
>>
If it is magnetic just buy a strong magnet and pull that bitch out!
>>
>>936428
see an ophthalmologist. eye deflation is no joke. emergency room now.
>>
>>936507
My brother had safety glasses and a face shield on
Was grinding, and got metal in his eye.

The doctor ended up using a dremel like tool to grind the metal out of his eye, then he had to use medicated eye drops and wear an eye patch for a few weeks.

He is perfectly fine now, but it could cause serious eye problems to ignore it.

There is bacteria that can cause a person to go blind if they was their contacts with tap water instead of distilled water. Dont let metal sit in your fucking eyes
>>
>>936428
Same happened to me years ago and the metal was actually smaller.
Got it removed at the hospital, took like 4 minutes and painless. Or leave it in and get an infection and loose your eye sight.
>>
holy shit

op dont listen to these faggots telling you to do it yourself

just go to the doctor this could either be nothing or it could be really serious shit
>>
>>936428
>hopsital

buyfag

take a wet paper towel and roll it into a joint looking thing. use that to touch it and try to get it out. when i was a mechanic i used to get things in my eyes ion a daily basis.

just last week, while turning on the lathe, a hot aluminum chip went under my safety glasses and burnt my eyelids and maybe eye.

unrelated, how do you know if something has been in your eye too long?
>>
Go see an eye doctor, till then find the strongest magnet you got and put it righ up to the affcted area and don't blink.
>>
going to an ER would be a waste of a lot of money, and they will just refer you to an ophthalmologist anyway.

looks like a minor bur to the cornea, but if it heals incorrectly the scar tissue could deform the lens in your eyeball, kind of like lasik or radial keratotomy, for better or for worse affecting your vision.
go see an ophthalmologist and get it checked out. they will probably give you some antibiotic eye ointment to help it heal and prevent it from getting infected which could be really bad.
p.s. i've done far worse things, and it healed completely, but do take eye protection more seriously in the future.
>>
If you work in a trade, dont ever fuck around with things involving your hands or eyes

Go to a doctor and check it out
>>
>>936428
In our metal shop we have a high power neodymium magnet for this exact reason. All you gotta do is hold it up to your eye and they come right out.
>>
>>936428
Schedule an appointment with an ophthalmologist.

I had a almost hair-thin metal splinter bounce off my cheek, my eyepro, and straight into the white of my eye. It was sticking out far enough for me to pull it out.

I did and gave no fucks, but in retrospect I probably should have gotten checked out after.
>>
File: tito.jpg (23KB, 473x350px) Image search: [Google]
tito.jpg
23KB, 473x350px
>>936428
>do you think i should still go to hopsital?

Why not err on the side of caution and go? It's free if you live in a half decent country.
>>
>>936439
10/10
>>
>>936748
fuck that shit, if it rotates while coming out, it would be like ripping out a broad tipped arrowhead
>>
FWIW, same shit happened to me. Eye was stupid sore for a few days. It was like a muscle soreness almost. Went away and I've got no problems now.
>>
Stop being a pussy and just rub a strong magnet over your eye.
Problem solved.
>>
>>936428
should have worn a full face shield. i never trust safety glasses alone. see a doctor asap
>>
>>936436
>>936437
ElectroBOOM?
>>
>>936428
Yeah, see an ophthalmologist (not optometrist). especially with metal particals, the rust can really just mess up your eye. I had a similar thing, but fortunately it just stuck into my eye and was washed out by rinsing. I still felt it so went in. did not penetrate, yay, ache went away after a week.
but yeah, anything that can rust can have weird chemical reactions and will do damage continuously, not just if it's bouncing around on your retina.
>>
I had a very small particle catch my eye. Hurt like a bitch and I could just barely see it. Took me about 30 mins to find it but I persisted because it hurt like fuck but I had to be within inches of the mirror to see it.

Go get it sorted man. If it isn't there then you're ok. If it is there you could end up saving an eye.
>>
Op go to an eye doc.

In the future. Always use a full face shield when grinding or metal working.
>>
>>936428
>you think i should still go to hopsital?

Yes.

Most likely just an abrasion on the surface fucking with you. However, I know someone that lost an eye because the same type of mishap and his was just bothering him and kept getting worse, turns out there was a piece still in there. But, he didn't go early and instead manned up for too long and lost an eye over he fear and ego about doctors.

Just go.

>>937240
This. I actually wear a second small pair over eye goggle under face shields due to pieces bouncing around and coming in at odd angles. I've had shit bounce in sideways and hit me in the face before I started wearing goggles too.
>>
>>937240
I find an old-school pair of lab goggles over my regular goggles to be more comfortable for all-day wear than a full face shield, since it's lighter and doesn't fog up when you breathe.

If I still worked on a construction site and needed a hard hat, I'd wear the face shield, but lab goggles are so much lighter than a face shield.
>>
>>936428
could be scratched eye that will go away if the foreign material was washed out. i worked in a machine shop and got a chunk of aluminium in my eye. i washed it out immediately but it felt like something was stuck in there for like five days but it went away. but always go to the doctor for those precious eyeballs
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.