[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Clogged sink, need help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: KIMG0136.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0136.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Sink clogged, both sides have water backup in them. How do I fix this so I can do my dishes tonight? I have a shit load of dirty dishes. Any advice or expeience would be a great help. I was just going to grab a bucket, take shit apart and scrape it out with a wire hanger, but I think this job might require a little more finesse.

It doesnt even have to be a permanent fix, the sink has always been a problem. And it should be my lanlords problem.
>>
>>936001
sulfuric acid should clear that up
just pour some down both drains wait for it to drain then run cold water
>>
Plug one side, plunge the other.
Could be grease in the trap. If it's plastic, it'll come apart pretty easy. Be sure to clean the nuts, washer & end of the pipe before reassembling.
>>
File: KIMG0135.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0135.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>936009
Plunging just pumps water into the other side. The piping runs down into the basment and just flows off into a hole in the cast iron sewage pipes. This a 100yr old historic peice of shit apartment so everything in here is just janky as hell. Pic related
>>
call your landlord
>>
If the P-trap is clean then you need to have a rooter snake the line. Also your sink doesn't have a vent which could be an issue.
>>
>>936012
>Plug one side

ideally two people and two plungers.
if you are a champion skiier (either snow or men) you should be able to handle it yourself.

plunge both together, dont alternate.

if you cant rod the drains properly the only real fix is to undo all of the pipework and put a bucket under the drain hole. empty it outside when half full.
>>
>>936009
>>936016
I decided to try again. It actually did the trick. I had to put a brick over the plug so it wouldnt pop out and it took about 10 tries, but it worked this time. I should probably invest in some kind of drain cleaner for now and I will call my landlord in the morning. Thanks guys
>>
>>936012
You gotta plug the other side, which will be challenging. Any large bakeware or pot on one side full of water might be enough to keep the water from bubbling up when you plunge the other side.

Sulfuric acid is pretty good, but with iron you might be shooting yourself in the foot; you get gasses and corrode the pipes. Small snakes from Home Depot or Lowes can be pretty effective too.
>>
>>936001
1) Go to local hardware store. Ask for the most caustic drain cleaner they have
2) Pou rin sink and let sit
3) Feel superior when darin is clear
4) Hope the acid didn't hurt your copper pipes
5) Realize the acid isn't going to clear that clog
6) Have to snake that shit but caustic acid everywhere
7) Pou rbaking soda down the sink in order to neutralize it
8) Attempt to snake
9) Burn self
10) Be unsuccessful and get a roto rooter guy in for some dollars
>>
>>936023
run hot water to get rid of grease if someone poured that down it.
If you're water isn't that hot, boil a big pan, add a bit of soap & dump it in the sink
>>
>>936029
Not my sink, not my problem. My oven was broken when I first moved in, Landlord had to pay for a new igniter and forked out 150 dollars reluctantly. Then the matching SS fridge stopped being cold and Bitch Landlord said I had to pay to repair the fridge when it stopped working because she "doesnt have the funds" . It ruined all of the food I bought. I told her no, bought a new fridge and put it in my dining room and just left the broken one in the kitchen. I cant wait to tell her the sink is fucked and that its not up to code.
>>
>>936038
>Hey slumlord, your rental property sucks!
>I'm evicting you for someone who isn't as pissy

If you're better off financially then your landlord, you're just as retarded as they.
>>
>>936042
I get a deal. Its only $625 a month, water trash and gas included. Its a 2bed1bath 1,000 sq ft with all hardwood floors a renovated bathroom, 12ft ceilings and a walk in closet. I wish I wouldnt have to deal with everything being broken but for the most part, I got a good deal until I can save up to buy a house.
>>
>>936029
People have copper drain pipes? Shiiiiit
>>
>>936001
From a former hotel maintenance worker plug one side shop vac the other sometimes plunging will just send it to block another drain
>>
>>936057
This

Shop vac makes a little hickey that goes on the hose that forms a seal around the drain hole.

Sucks the clog up (if your shop vac has big enough balls)

But beware that is some of the most foul smelling water/sludge you'll ever smell in your life (unless you live in ohio) so make sure you *immediately* dump it on the landlord's car and clean your shop vac and let the pieces air dry separately.
>>
>>936058
Sometimes I forget im on 4chan and then posts like these bring me back to reality.
>>
>>936004
Won't work for shit unless the sinks empty so it can get to the clog decently undiluted. Otherwise he will have to use a lot and that will lead to pitting in his sink.

>>936029
Caustic generally refers to a base, not an acid. Most drain openers use sodium hydroxide (a base). Baking soda is also basic so it will not neutralize a base.

>>936038
Drains are your responsibility unless it is a plumbing issue. So if OP has grease clogging his p-trap or hair or some shit. He is responsible for it. Just like you're responsible for replacing bulbs in your dwelling.

Easiest thing you can do is either plug one side of the drain. (Protip plastic bag with a wet hand towel mashed in there while you hold it down) and plunge the other. That or go get some drain opener made for standing water and let that do it's work.
>>
>>936062
>Drains are your responsibility unless it is a plumbing issue.
so only 99% of the time it's the landlords problem.
>>
>>936063
If the issue is in your apartment, it's your problem.

Since the vast majority of clogs are within a couple of feet, it is the landlord's issue probably 25% of the time.

If you clog your toilet with shit and toilet paper, it's your problem.
If you clog your shower drain with hair, it's your problem.
If you clog your kitchen sink with grease, it's your problem.
If you clog your bathroom sink with a earring, it's your problem.

If your apartment building is all clogged because of something in the main drain line, it's their problem.
>>
>>936067
This is pretty legit. I've rented from various landlords & agencies, but they all had the same "if we find chicken grease in the trap, then you'll pay for the work" clause in the lease. The last lease I signed actually had an explicitly stated clause that said I was agreeing to NEVER put grease down the drain.

On the other hand, if you can move the clog into the main drain line, then it'll be impossible to tell which tenant caused the blockage. That said, it's not that hard to just unscrew the trap and clear the fucking pipes. Get your shit together, Monica.
>>
>>936047

Not installed anymore unless specifically requested.
Mostly ABS now.
>>
>>936080
Where do you live? It's all PVC here.
>>
>>936058
Thank goodness I live in Ohio... Gonna go use a straw to clean out all my drains, don't have a shop vac!
>>
>>936067
What if every single drain in the whole goddamn apartment was plugged from the moment you moved in?
>>
>>936030
>run hot water to get rid of grease if someone poured that down it.
>If you're water isn't that hot, boil a big pan, add a bit of soap & dump it in the sink
this is what I was going to say, sort of.
Even if you never dump actual grease down the drain, it can still build up grease residue from all the greasy stuff you washed in it.

what you should have done is this:
1) BEFORE the sink was clogged, when it began to run slow,
2) turn on the hot water only and let it run down the drain for ~1 minute, then-
3) pour about 1/4 to 1/2 of a bottle of dish washing soap down the drain, while the hot water is running.

the reason you run the hot water for a while first is to heat up the grease in the drain.
the soap doesn't work so well when it's cold, the soap will work a lot better if the grease is hot or at least warm.

I do not use caustic drain cleaners in the kitchen sink anymore, they make a mess and don't really work well. It is mainly effective for hair clogs in bathroom sinks really.
Hot water & soap, and then try a snake.
>>
>>936151
Then it would be a main line issue. See the last line of that post.
>>
If need dishes quickly you can wash them in a bucket of soapy water, then rinse in bathroom.

Did that during kitchen renovation.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.