[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Clogged Drain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: clogged drain.jpg (774KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
clogged drain.jpg
774KB, 2240x1344px
Any suggestions on fixing this shitty clogged shower drain?

- Due to the 3rd-world design of the drain, there is no screw(s) to take out for it to be removed. It's just like glued into the shower floor.

- I tried using a plunger on the drain. That made it much worse. Now the water doesn't drain at all.

- I tried some dish detergent to lubricate the filth. Nothing. (worked once for me on a clogged toilet)

- I tried some boiling water, baking soda, and vinegar. Nothing.

If I can't get to the pipes from the basement tomorrow, I'm just going to break/tear up the drain so that I can get to the filth/hair with a coat hanger. But I was hoping there were some other ideas before I start permanently destroying things.
>>
try using drain-o or caustic acid
>>
Stick your dick in it
>>
>>934903
the correct name is caustic soda
>>
>>934908
>>934910
Thanks. I put some on my grocery list, but we're pretty much snowed in at the moment.
>>
>>934903
- Modify plunger so it has a pipe instead of a handle
- seal well over drain, stand on it so it can't go anywhere
- blow.

Keep blowing until your problem is blown all the way downstream to a larger pipe.
>>
>>934903
>before I start permanently destroying things
Well it's going to happen whether you like it or not.
Some preventative maintenance is clearly in order--you've got to replace that drain.
>>
>>934903
>- I tried using a plunger on the drain. That made it much worse. Now the water doesn't drain at all.

This means that you have a hard clog that the plunging compacted. Probably near the top but it could be anywhere prior to the main line. You will have to mechanically remove it - don't expect chemicals to work.

That means snaking it, either from the top of the drain if you can make a hole big enough for the snake, or from the inspect port that was hopefully installed by a non-idiot plumber when the pipes were put in. Dismantling the pipes shouldn't be needed.

Drain snakes are 15 bucks at Harbor freight, or high quality ones can be rented on the cheap (if in US).
>>
You're probably going to have to snake.

BUT

Try more soap. Soap should always be the first step. You said you tried it, but might as well give it another shot.

Failing that bleach if you already have it on hand.

If neither of those does anything, use lye or a dedicated drain opener. One rated for standing water so it is more viscous.
>>
>>934903
Not to hijack OP's thread, but this may benefit him after he gets his drain unclogged. Is there a way to keep hair from getting into the drain in the first place? My wife, God love her, sheds like a Himalayan cat in March, and every drain in the house gets clogged, and I'm really tired of getting out the... zip stick?... every other month. Are there drains with mesh on them or something that can keep this from happening? Thanks in advance, and sorry OP, sort of.
>>
>>934903

Not sure how big the vents are there, but if they're fairly wide, you could unwind a coat hanger and make a hook at the end to see if you could fish anything out of the drain.

Hell, if you have some fishing line you could try attaching one end to a screw or bolt that's secured to a piece of wood or similar (something strong that you would use to pull the line back with), on the other end you could put a fish hook or something that might catch onto jammed up stuff in there easily. It'd be a million times easier without the drain cover in the way, but it might be possible.
>>
>>935045
I have seen mesh inserts for drains. Usually they go under the actual grill.
>>
>>935050
Thank you.
>>
>>934910
>correct name
>caustic soda
If you're going to be an autist go all the way and call it sodium hydroxide.
Don't pussy out halfway through.
>>
OP here.

I was able to fix it with Dran-o, thankfully. Thanks for the ideas, all.

>dat precious thread closure
>>
>>935234
caustic acid is a wrong name, the correct name is caustic soda, it seems you are the only one here being burthurt, go look up a dictionary
>>
>>935274

you should've bought a "snake" instead of drano.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cobra-25-Power-Auger-with-Grip/36883566

this is what i used to use when i was an apt building maintenance guy.

you don't pry off the shower drain. you unscrew the overflow plate, which is about 6 inches or so above the drain, and then feed the snake down through it.
>>
I know this is solved, but I have used a wet /dry vac to suck the clog out, works well, just seal around hose with a cloth. Make sure it's set up for wet application because all the water sitting above clog will be coming out
>>
>>935277
You are correct, I think he was pointing out that you were correcting that person just to sound like a know-it-all and that you should have just called it sodium hydroxide.
>>
Pour in baking soda
Pour in vinegar

Profit
>>
>>935448
>you don't pry off the shower drain. you unscrew the overflow plate

OP said shower drain. Overflow plates are commonly found in tubs.
>>
>>935045

Drain o or my grandmother has some dry powder shit that is basically a organic version of it that is much cheaper. The stuff isnt going to beat a clog but it keeps shit degrading enough that it doesn't stick.

She puts a scoop down once or twice a month just as maintenance.
>>
There is this bottle of tablets my dad uses. I cant remember the name, I hope this thread lasts til morning to tell you (working nights)but you take the guard off the drain, pour the amount you need in, and pour BOILING hot water in the drain, note be careful of the back bubbling and fumes.
>>
>>934903
land lord here.
OK, your problem is that you can't remove the existing drain because you fer damaging it? OK, what you I can suggest then is the two following things.

1) your drain may be blocked by human hair, that tends to accumulate and hang from drains. it also collects fats and sludge. To fox that I suggest making an auger out of a metal coat hanger wire. Fish it down the holes and with the gook or bend at the end of it pull out the crap blocking the pipe.

2) you may have block further down the pipe of fats and sludge. This is organics that need to be broken away. There are special drain cleaners that specialize in the breakdowns of these buid ups. (fuck that baking soda stupidity, it dont' work). You' need some industrial strenght shit for that stuff son.

3) last option. Buy some marine glue or epoxy putty (it's the white 2part stuff, good for watery environments) and rip that drain cover off. and fix it after you auger/snake the pipe (by the way buy an auger or snake)

BEST OF LUCK
>>
File: 1453811799291-472705162.jpg (133KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1453811799291-472705162.jpg
133KB, 1600x1200px
>>936235
same poster here: The name of the bottle is called "thrift" aodorless drain cleaner. it works on all types of piping, works in 60 seconds. On the negitive side, it has Sodium Hydroxide gas when activated. It's a large bottle, white with red lettering.
>>
are you sure that the grill itself doesnt rotate to unscrew? thats how most of them come off in my country (not a shithole though).
see if you can get two screw drivers, stick one on each side of the grill holes then counter clock wise rotate the whole grid and see if it moves.
also dont you have a drain box between the shower drain and the outside waste system? this box should be shared with some other waste water systems. you could start going there and see if you can unclog it the other way around.
>>
File: 021709440027lg[1].jpg (34KB, 276x276px) Image search: [Google]
021709440027lg[1].jpg
34KB, 276x276px
>>934903
Find a granulated drain cleaner with caustic soda and lye. It dissolves grease, hair, soap, and your skin.

Drain-o is fucking worthless. If the bottle doesn't have a huge warning on it that it'll literally fuck your face if you let it touch your skin it's useless.

Just be sure to ventilate the room, or close the door and turn on the fan for a while. The stink of victory is more toxic than taco night.

>pic related
>>
>>935045
That shit on the right. Don't know a proper word for it in english. Just put it under the grill and clean it when it's dirty enough, it's much easier to clean when it's dry.
Unless you live in some really retarded place that doesn't have removable grill, then I suggest moving out of a crack den.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.