I'm tired of getting shocked when I touch my light switch and ground myself out. How can I prevent the shock? I have antistatic bags (grey), all sorts of electric components, and a soldering iron to work with. What can I do to not shock myself?
Lift your feet when you walk for a start. Avoid synthetic clothing, wear leather shoes etc. Friction = charge. Reduce friction, reduce charge. A room humidifier might work as well, its easier to build a charge in a dry environment than a not so dry one.
..there's nothing to build, unless you want to walk around your house with an 50 foot earth strap from your wrist to the nearest water tap. You sound like one of those muppets that uses an arduino to flash a LED. Stop overthinking it.
If the light switch itself is bad like if it's a plastic switch and you're getting shocked or burned from sparks the switch needs replacing.
Otherwise, this is most prevalent in winter when it is really cold outside like in the 20 F's or below. Get rid of the carpet if it's that bad.
Other than that toughen up and don't shock the pets on their nose or ears when you go to pet them.
So because I'm retarded I stuck a piece of foil to my wall and then put a 5k resistor and a wire connecting to ground on my lightswitch. It works! I touch the foil briefly, and then I can touch my light switch no problem. It looks like shit but this was just for fun.
Just wanted to throw this out there. I've been studying tribology recently, for esd tests at work, and interestingly, you build up a charge when two differing materials come in to contact *then separate*
The only reason that building a charge up is related to friction is because when you rub two materials together, there are a zillion instances where tiny parts of those materials were in contact, then seperate. It's like, pulling the materials apart is what draws the charge carriers to the surfaces of the materials, which is what results in charge buildup on the surfaces. Just wanted to share because it's kind of counterintuitive but interesting.
Also, when is someone from /diy/ going to invent and market carpets that are woven out of esd material and plugged in to a ground pin in the outlet? I would immediately buy a couple for my cats.
>piece of foil to my wall and then put a 5k resistor and a wire connecting to ground on my lightswitch.
Well alrighty then I think the retard is actually smart but faking it!
>you build up a charge when two differing materials come in to contact *then separate*
This brings to mind that I used to do something to minimize sparks in winter. I can't remember exactly what it was because it's been a few mild winters since. It was something like what was already mentioned of picking my feet up off of the carpet. Seems like I used to reduce the spark off of something before I pet the cats and touch switches or plumbing, I can't remember what I did now.
If I touch the pad on my cats paw, I will never zap him, no matter how much I pet him. The problem is holding his paw for that long.
I'm serious though. They already make ruberized esd mats that are area rug sized, why can't we just coat it with a a fabric that's been woven out of esd cloth, then plug the whole thing in to ground? I'd re - fabric my couch with it too and plug that in to ground. Seriously guyz, this is a whole market waiting to bloom!
>Also, when is someone from /diy/ going to invent and market carpets that are woven out of esd material and plugged in to a ground pin in the outlet? I would immediately buy a couple for my cats.
You're in luck!
>StaticSmart ESD Carpet tiles will absorb static electricity and will pass the charge from the surface through the conductive backing and adhesive to the flooring sub-system to ground.
I have never experienced this.
the fact that you are getting shocked from a light switch is alarming.
Modern light switches shouldn't be conductive on the part you touch, you might want to consider replacing it with a switch that wasn't either made in the 1930's, or wasn't bought from a Chinese eBay seller.
>You sound like one of those muppets that uses an arduino to flash a LED
I don't get understand the hate for this.. if you are suggesting he use a 555 timer to flash the led, or a comparator, then you better also be suggesting he makes it from scratch and doesn't use an IC.
Using an IC is just as much cheating as using a microcontroller.
>the fact that you are getting shocked from a light switch is alarming.
They are required to be grounded. That's the potential that shocks you. Probably not the switch itself, but on occasion the plate or the screws will conduct to ground. I'd be more alarmed if I knew I was charged and couldn't use the screws on a wall plate to discharge myself.