[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, mind helping me build some shelves for my desk setup?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20160121_212000~01.jpg (1MB, 2616x4689px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160121_212000~01.jpg
1MB, 2616x4689px
Hey /diy/, mind helping me build some shelves for my desk setup?

Dad was never around to teach me woodworking, and I'm needing to build two shelves with drawers for under my PC desk. The dimensions are too niche to find in an average store, and figured building one would be a nice alternative.

Pic related, the spaces between the desk parts are about 11 inches wide and about 27 inches tall.

What kind of wood should I invest in? Nails or screws? How to properly line up the drawer railings? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advanced.
>>
not an answer to OP but currently building a desk what's some good free software to mock it up with?
>>
>>933844
Blender is the best free and reliable modeling program. Just takes a bit to learn the basics.

t. /g/entooman.
>>
Bump.

Would sturdy poster board be effective? I figure gluing to sheets together and cutting it to the proper shape. Would probably be cheaper than wood too I suppose.
>>
Albeit relatively simple on paper you need a good fundamental knowledge of wood work before you dive in otherwise you're likely to make a mess and spend a lot of money trying to rectify it.

The cheapest material you could use is MDF. It would need some decoration and finishing but won't match the veneer on your currant desk.

Simple construction would be 4 sides, 2 with dados cut in to run along a hard wood runner you could fix to your desk.
>>
File: 11295439.jpg (17KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
11295439.jpg
17KB, 450x450px
You're building shelves or drawers? Shelves would be much easier, even pull out shelves. Building the drawer box would be the hardest part if you don't have tools.

What about shelves and something like these?
>>
>>935235

>building a box is hard

top kek
>>
>>935210
Incorrect. 3/8" sanded ply is cheaper if all you have nearby is a home depot or lowes.
Or melamine if you trawl through craigslist free section to butcher someones secondhand ikea shit.
>>
>>936269
>building a box
>if you don't have tools.
>>
>>936279
Who the fuck uses 3/8" plywood? If you've found ply cheaper than MDF it's either low grade or weaker than piss in the wind.
>>
>>936287
its not even going to be a foot wide and maybe two feet deep. 3/8" ply should be fine unless OP's gonna keep his bowling ball collection in there.
>>
>>936287
>MDF
Might as well just make it out of toxic waste.
>>
>>936289
I don't even know what you're doing.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.