[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm getting an amazon shopping list flushed out with a few

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

I'm getting an amazon shopping list flushed out with a few things I want, but I'm not sure what i should do about the last item, paracord.

I want something sturdy, that can hold my body weight, is flexible, and won't make noise when attached to something like chain does and more importantly is small. So I came to the conclusion that paracord is what i'm looking for.

I only really need about 25 feet of it for everything I want, but I figure ill buy 10$ worth whether its 50 or 100 feet as I'm sure at some point in the future I will have a need for something sturdy again.

Now, the reason I'm here, anyone have experience with paracord? I would like to get something cheap, as I doubt 550lbs will ever be needed, but I know there are knock off vendors due to paracord being a fun craft material, they don't so much care about its ability to hold weight just the colors it is, so I'm also considering getting it in 700~lbs variety. Its never going to be used, or at least intended to be used in a life and death scenario but at the same time, falling on my face because a cord snapped due it it being a shit design is also something I don't want to do either.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
Yeah paracord is a very sturdy and pratcical cord,
And is very effective in my line of... work.

Depend on the diameter of the one you'd want.
>>
>>933564
A single paracord not actually rated for human safety. You will shock load it to 1500 pounds easily and break it and fall to your death. Get climbing rope if you're climbing. It's a commodity and prices down as far as it can go.

Paracord is also too thin to grab.
>>
>>933591
Don't worry, like I said, not using it for life and death, what I want it for is something sturdier than twine that's able to hold weight.

the two things I want it for are this

1) hold a rotary tool by the I beam in the basement so I i get the least amount of twist in the flex cable.
and
2) using it to hold onto and exercise with my own body weight. think of how a gymnast rings, but instead of suspending my whole body, I use them as close to the ground as I can in the push up position.

I figure that 550 or 700lbs paracord would be able to do this, may not be the best material for it, but able to do it none the less.

if I ever went climbing I would be making damn sure any rope I use would cut me in two from inertia force before it would snap.
>>
>>933564
>>933610
This:
>>933591

You want to:
>hold a rotary tool by the I beam in the basement so I i get the least amount of twist in the flex cable
>using it to hold onto and exercise with my own body weight. think of how a gymnast rings, but instead of suspending my whole body, I use them as close to the ground as I can in the push up position.

First off - how heavy is the rotary tool? Keep in mind you'll be tugging and twirling the rope as you use the tool, and the tool will be sending out resonating frequencies through the rope as you use it - so you need to calculate a safe working load, not just tensile strength.

Secondly, despite the fact that you're not using the rope for life-safety you will still hurt yourself trying to support your weight with paracord. You need to be less than 110 pounds in order to safely and reliably support your weight with paracord. And as >>933591 mentioned paracord is too thin for the human hand to grasp and support weight - the cord just slips through your clenched fist.

I would go with 6mm-8mm kevlar cord since you can grasp it fine and it's tensile strength is factors above paracord, plus it has the added benefit of being heat and abrasion resistant - perfect for your rotary tool and I beam anchor idea.
>>
>>933564
>flushed out
From where?
>>
File: twisted nylon rope.jpg (626KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
twisted nylon rope.jpg
626KB, 1000x750px
Why don't you just go to Walmart and get some 3/8" nylon rope in the boating/fishing section?

Paracord has way too much stretch for a lot of applications.
>>
>>933782
anchor line is designed to have a fuckload of stretch.
>>
>>933564
Parameme stretches like shit. Use polypropylene or braided nylon instead.
>>
>>933591

That OP. If you want to go small, you can get away with some 6mm accessory cord. It will last a while and work well for the mentioned application.
>>
>>933610
>2) using it to hold onto and exercise with my own body weight. think of how a gymnast rings, but instead of suspending my whole body, I use them as close to the ground as I can in the push up position.
You're gonna bust your teeth out. 550lbs is nothing to any amount of shock load. Get some rated webbing for that.
>>
I use amsteel for all of my needs.

Low stretch. Average 550lb paracord is about 5/32.

5/32 Amsteel is min rated at 3600lbs

You can also get it in multiple colors if that is your thing.

It's made of Dyneema, other companies make their own version which will be similarly rated.
>>
Amsteel is wonderful and can take impressive loads in offroad vehicle recovery. Heed any splicing instructions.

Enjoy your burglary career.
>>
>>933584
>>
>>934818
Got some from a friend who is a rigger. They use it to lift several ton equipment.

I don't know anything about the splicing requirements, I would just suggest avoiding it.
>>
File: photo 2.jpg (892KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
photo 2.jpg
892KB, 900x506px
>>933564
>>
>>933564
why are you hanging yourself?
>>
>>933968
yyeeepp. generally working load is 3x rated load, for doing something like lifting a box on a pulley, which is a fairly smooth pull. dynamic loading for people, safety rating is 10x at least, because yeah people move and jerk a lot more. You MIGHT not break paracord if you can do every motion completely smoothly without any jerking or swinging. Basically, don't.

Get strapping. It's annoying to work with compared to cord, but nylon strapping rated for 3klbs is pretty cheap. it can get down to $0.50/f if you look for somewhere selling precut.

probably the cheapest is to go to the junkyard and cut seatbelt material. depending on how you haggle, could be down to $1 or so ea (because no one buys seatbelts from a junkyard), and they're probably a good 10 feet ea? you would have to go and cut yourself though.
As a bonus, for the dremel, you could probably take out the whole mechanism and have a ratcheting hold down from the retractor if you fiddle with it some.
>>
Sorry this response is late.

>>933877
both of those terms shit back rope that isn't even as strong as the 550lb paracord.

>>933782
that turns into about 30$ for a lengh that isnt/barely usable for my applications.

>>935329
got any links to where i can buy straps? no real junkyard anywhere close to make it cost effective.

as for the dremel, i want to do quick work while its in the body, and when i know im going to be spending time, the flex shaft.

>>933924
got a link to that as searching brings up a plethora of results some of which are paracord.

>>934204
from what i can tell, 40$ barely gets me a useable lengh for my applications.

>>935310
not offing myself, just want something better than twine, and strong enough to do some exercise with indoors.
>>
>>936323
http://www.strapworks.com/
amazon.com
ebay.com

just make sure it's nylon and not polypropylene (poly is much weaker) and breaking strength is in the 2000lb+ range. remember, working load for people should be about 1/10th breaking strength at most.

The only downside is there's only a few knots that work well for strapping due to shape of it.
>>
>>936323
Guess you missed my response
>>933627
>>
>>936323
>from what i can tell, 40$ barely gets me a useable lengh for my applications.

If you're looking for something that is stronger that 550 paracord you can get the 7/64" amsteel.

There is a guy on ebay selling it for $12.39/ 25 ft section including shipping. So you can get 75ft for under $40.
>>
>>936362
for strapworks, i think what im looking for is webbing correct? i think the cheapest i can get there is little over 80$ for the lengh i would need.

>>936413
yea, when i was going through this a second time for the responses, i did miss it but i did read it.

the rotary tool is less than 2lbs, i don't have a scale that works with low enough numbers to tell me its exact weight.

as for the safe work load, i want to say that in a worst case scenario, the tool would break before the paracord would.

as for the holding onto it, i was thinking of either making a monkey fist to grab onto on each end, or if i can get the programs to work, print out a handle and attach a washer to the ends of the paracord, kind of like a jumprope

as for the kevlar cord, 30feet comes to 16$ and that is half the thickness you mentioned, and the thickness that came up on a quick amazon search.

>>936426
will look into that.
how strong is 7/64?
>>
>>937047
>will look into that.
>how strong is 7/64?

Avg Strength: 1600lbs Min strength 1400lbs
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.