[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make relatively level cuts with only a handsaw and no

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: contraptin.jpg (92KB, 1114x835px) Image search: [Google]
contraptin.jpg
92KB, 1114x835px
How do I make relatively level cuts with only a handsaw and no level? Wood is pine. I'm trying to make a cradle for a grow-light for winter veggies.
>>
puddles are always level
dip the legs in and cut on the wet line
>>
Cut all 4 in one bundle
>>
>>932737
Any tips for keeping the blade straight? Initially I had drawn some straight lines, but it didn't matter because the saw will curve ever so slightly.

I just don't want this damn cradle to wobble. It already cobbled together.
>>
File: fulton-sawhorse-brackets-3.jpg (24KB, 384x373px) Image search: [Google]
fulton-sawhorse-brackets-3.jpg
24KB, 384x373px
>>932722
First off, dont complicate things
Buy some cheap saw horse brackets. They are 5$ a pair at harbore freight, they are 8$ a pair at Lowes.

You just just 2x4 for the middle bar and legs.

When you have the brackets, you dont need to figure out a bunch of hard calculations. Just 4 of the same length legs.

Yes, you will be resting on the bottom corners of the legs but it will be fine everything will be squared still.

But I would suggest buying a speed square (for 2$ at harbore freight, like $5 at lowes)

You can measure out a mitered angle for the bottom of the feet (I think the brackets need like 15 degree angle).
Cut the bottom angles, then cut the square ends straight and even between the 4.

Easy to do with a hand saw, cheap, and its going to be relatively close to accurate (even with some bad cuts).
Way better solution than what you are doing OP.
>>
File: broccoli.jpg (30KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
broccoli.jpg
30KB, 420x420px
>>932744
maybe you shouldn't smoke so much winter vegetable before using the saw
>>
File: il_570xN.740543959_ss2n.jpg (62KB, 570x553px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.740543959_ss2n.jpg
62KB, 570x553px
>>932753
Look at how nice and sturdy they can be with the mitered feet.
>>
File: IMG_20160119_163845.jpg (232KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160119_163845.jpg
232KB, 1024x1024px
>>932722
Not possible, even with a cutting jig a hand saw tends to fuck up.

Try a different design that uses a single board as the feet. Like pictured but double sided.
>>
>>932758
No, actually, I am growing tomatoes. I figured that was the easiest thing I could indoors. It makes you look a hell of a lot more [spoiler]like a hipster[/spoiler] than flowers would.
>>
>>932753
Holy fuck that is exactly what I need! I wish I had consulted you guys before buying like 10$ of wood and doing shit cuts.
>>
>>932722
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJLSI3GUcbk There you go. roy underhill is the unofficial god of handtools.
Also, in pine, screws are always going to be wobbly, because they just dig into the pine. You want a dado or rabbet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=DtizUSUgUG4

also, a technique for leveling off legs to kill wobble (when legs are not all exactly the same length, common when an angle is slightly off etc.) is to put it on the ground, shim it level, and use a scrap piece of wood to scibe a line parallel to the floor at the same height on all four legs (above the shim, of course). Then cut to line, and sand high leg until level and stable. the saw will take care of most of it, meaning that you should only have to sand down like 1/32" or 1/16" on a leg or to to have it dead even. If you end up with one leg way too short, an old amish method is to glue in a hardwood dowel and do the same thing.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.