[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I imagine you guys are a good source for this. I recently got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: box joint.jpg (7KB, 172x294px) Image search: [Google]
box joint.jpg
7KB, 172x294px
I imagine you guys are a good source for this.

I recently got a copy of the CorelDRAW 7 suite to generate graphics for a laser cutting machine.

I have some very light experience with parametric modeling software(solid-works, Pro-Engineer) but none with graphics software. I want to be able to draw shapes that fit together with box joints.

is there a function in CorelDRAW that makes this easier?
are there programs that can generate templates?

or will I just need to suck it up and experiment?
laser is an Epilog Laser 75 watt, Helix if that's important. all lines for cutting must be hairline thickness

also, any tips and tricks involving the use of CorelDRAW would be nice.
no, I cannot just get AutoCAD the department won't get it for me.
>>
>>932702
There's a function called extrude, which takes a 2D vector and adds a third dimension, essentially turning it into a prism of sorts.

It's still a 2D program though so the result will still be a 2D vector.

I can't see CorelDRAW being useful for generating 3D data for this machine. For some pretty technical drawings, yes...
>>
>>932702
There are object properties in coreldraw that let you set line lengths and angles (which shouldn't be needed if you turn on snap to angle).

The laser cutter just takes vector paths so just export those.

You'll have to figure out and plan all the measurements before hand though.
>>
>>932702
What kind of laser cutter can't work off of dxf or some other 2d format that you can export to from solidworks?
>>
>>932725
>I can't see CorelDRAW being useful for generating 3D data for this machine.
actually, when combined with the Helix machine it can do limited 3D (think Bas-Releif) but that takes a great deal of effort to do correctly and a lot of practice.

regardless it's not like I can do dovetail joints or anything, only straight simple joints. I'm just saying that I'd like to get a means of repeating the pattern that doesn't involve manually drawing it and then copy-pasting the exact number of fingers per side etc...

this pamphlet holder is an example, someone HAS done it, I'm just hoping there's a shortcut.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:769
>>
>>932734
I just realised the machine cuts in 2D. First I thought it was some kind of 3D milling machine for some reason.

So yeah I suppose any 2D program would be fine.
>>
you probably find, any mistakenly useful features previouslyincluded for doing what is basically 2D CAD work in Corel Draw have been ripped out and/or disabled to build CorelCAD. Which is all good, as thats 10 times the price.

Dont see the point in learning a program thats more or less guaranteed to be more or less useless for your needs - always gonna be a botchup. At least, Photoshop has other uses, and some basic 3D, and a sub aint so expensive, if legal must. But I still dont see why a basic CAD prog would be worse than either (Corel/PS) for this.
>>
>>932741
limited by budget and company requirements. I can't have a proper CAD program because I "don't actually need it"

>>932732
>solidworks
I don't have, nor can I have this program.
I can browse 4chan, but I can't have access to a company license for solidworks or AutoCAD

>>932735
it has a cutting depth of 3/8" layering things to make a thing is a project I don't have time for yet though...
>>
>>932702
i used coreldraw on a helix for a little while op, i can't remember the power but it was a desktop thing.

I only cut acrylic with it but it was not great for making 3d things with. at about 3mm it was ok, over that and the laser would be out of focus so the cut would not be perpendicular to the sheet and you would end up with a kind of bevelled edge on the bottom which made fitting parts together a pain in the asshole.

i mean i did a few mortice and tennon joints for small models but the cut itself can't be relied upon to make the shape, just pack it with glue and clamp it to something square until its set.

kind of ruined laser cutters for me, i always thought they were some crazy precise way of getting exactly what you told it you wanted but no there is still some trial and error.
>>
>>935810
I sort of thought I'd be filing the edges square anyway... suppose I undersized them slightly?

nobody's above a little file-work...
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.