[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you had to limit yourself to only two power tools, which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

File: 565262099.jpg (419KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
565262099.jpg
419KB, 3000x1688px
If you had to limit yourself to only two power tools, which tools would they be?
>>
A drill and a circular saw.

Those are basically all I used, + a tape measure+hammer+pencil to build 99% of a really noice shed.
>>
>>932393
Grinder and corded power drill.
>>
>>932393
Fuck. I'd have to go with two combo machines. A DeWalt radial arm saw and a Shopsmith probably. Not ideal machines and you have to re-zero them every time you switch up what you are doing but they can literally do everything. I can't think of a single operating in the shop they can't handle.

For around the house tasks I generally use hand tools because I fucking hate battery operated tools.
>>
>>932393
I have non-electric versions of everything I need. I rarely use electric tools.

Maybe a soldering iron and a rotary tool. Hakko and Foredom if I can pick brands.

>>932409
>For around the house tasks I generally use hand tools because I fucking hate battery operated tools.

They are great to get from trash, thrift, and cheap yard/garage sales. The batteries are toast, but the motors work great and are good for other projects or different power source.
>>
>Angle grinder
That is all
>>
Cordless drill and a bandsaw.
>>
>>932396
This.
>>
>>932393
Bench grinder and power hammer.
>>
>>932393
I only use two power tools in my knife work. My belt/disk sander combo and my drill press. So ill keep those. The rest can go to hell.
>>
Would personally go with an angle grinder and a corded power drill.

Just get a stand for those things and maybe setup the angle grinder for a makeshift table saw.
>>
Thickness planer and router. I can saw and drill by hand just fine.
>>
>>932393
DeWalt™ brand DeWalt™ 20v Impact Drill
DeWalt™ brand DeWalt™ 20v Reciprocating Saw
>>
>>932649
I'm pretty sure you actually meant to say simply:
DeWalt™ brand DeWalt™
DeWalt™ brand DeWalt™
>>
A lathe and a mill. I could probably build most of the tools I needed with those two things.
>>
>>932649
Those two tools, but only if they were Makita™ brand Makita™
>>
A 5 axis CNC machine and a Shopsmith.
>>
>>932393
My wormdrive skillsaw and my sawzall
>>
>>932393

hakko digital soldering iron, angle grinder
>>
>>932698
Those two tools but only if they were Ridgid™ brand Ridgid™

Real talk though, probably hammer drill and skill saw.
>>
if you don't say "drill and skil saw" then you probably never actually built anything before
>>
File: 1449197599326.jpg (41KB, 380x358px) Image search: [Google]
1449197599326.jpg
41KB, 380x358px
>this thread
>this many people calling circular saws "skilsaws"
>>
File: 1426381326812-0.jpg (2MB, 1500x2178px) Image search: [Google]
1426381326812-0.jpg
2MB, 1500x2178px
>>933003
It's a skillsaw. Get over it.
>>
>>933003
Meh, it's just dense faggots who don't realise how deeply they have programmed by big corps, like those dipshits that call tissues "a kleenex" and who call any rotary tools a dremel. Also, my sister, who calls any tablet an iPad.

Just be happy that you're not as blinded as they are and move on.
>>
>>932393
My hands
>>
>>933012
Blinded or evolving with the times?

I mean technically, you can call something a rotory tool and be right...to those who know. Or you can call it a dremel and be right...to those who don't.

Either name is right depending on who you're talking to. Judge who you're talking to and work with it.

Besides, who's to say they won't still be calling them "dremels" long after the corporation goes defunct.
>>
>>933450
>evolving with the times?

If you were to actually evolve with the times, you wouldnt be calling a circular saw a Skilsaw

Generic trademarks for things that dominate the market exist.

"Skilsaw" was king back in the day, hence why some places started calling it that generically.
They arent top tier anymore, even their wormdrives are beaten by other brands.
This has been the case for over 2 decades now.

Dremel is still the undisputed most popular rotary tool, hence the generic trademark.

I think its just simple southern folk, they call all sodas "Coke"
>>
File: gingerybooks.jpg (227KB, 490x555px) Image search: [Google]
gingerybooks.jpg
227KB, 490x555px
>>932674
>mill and lathe
this is the correct answer, with a mill and a lathe you can build practically ANYTHING! Pic related
>>
A milling machine and a lathe.

HANDHELD power tools? A six-inch (just right for the thin kerf cutting discs) angle grinder and any quality 1/2" corded drill.
>>
>>934800
Oh, and fuck all that Gingery shit. You are better off getting used industrial machine tools and using them to make accessories and tooling.
>>
>>933470
>mill and lathe
>practically anything

so you could put up some shelves with a mill right? just put it in front of the wall and angle the head 90 degrees?

no you can't build other tools because you are limited to two, not just if you started from two.

a cross slide isn't a power tool, you could have said a drill with sexy bearings that you can mount above a slide and use as a mill when you need to, or mount it horizontal over the same slide and boom, lathe.

tool 1, drill.
tool 2 is a jigsaw.

use your head moran.
>>
>>934806
I can run a flex shaft off my Bridgeport.

The idea of being "limited" contradicts tool use itself, for tools exist to breed. This has been the case from flint knapping forward through CNC machine tools.

If I were using handheld power tools I'd be making other tools too, which is why I included a six-inch angle grinder for flap disc, cutting disc, wire wheel, and other tasks. You can make a "Johnny Cash drill" by mounting a chuck to an angle grinder head. An old trick for which I don't care to built the adapter, but it ain't hard.
>>
>>934802
Well you are, but the question specifically and explicitly says you can't do that. You only get two tools, so if you want more, you're going to have to build them.

If you're going to completely ignore the problem statement, yoi might as well go for a replicator and a fusion reactor.
>>
>>932393
This thing?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FPvUn1bswxU
>>
>>932393
Radial arm saw and cordless drill.
>>
My Makita cordless grinder and drill
>>
File: 1283099071542.jpg (47KB, 298x293px) Image search: [Google]
1283099071542.jpg
47KB, 298x293px
>>933447
>>
>>933003
I call all my reciprocating saws sawzalls too.
>>
>>934806
>hurr put up a shelf with ur mill

Son. If we can't build other tools with our tools then what the fuck is the point of having the tools?

What a stupid question, why don't you ask me what car I'd keep but tear out the gas tank so I can't use the son of a bitch.
>>
>>934874
This is because you're a moron.
>>
>>934806
you child are the moran.

you dont even need power tools to put up a shelf.

mill and lathe. how i wish i had them....
>>
>>933012
Meh, it's the opposite imo. pisses off the big corps that their name has be taken and is no longer legally protected. kleenex instead of facial tissue, bandaid instead of adhesive bandage, coke instead of soda or pop, aspirin instead of acetylsalicylic acid, laundromat instead of coin operated laundry shop, escalator instead of moving staircase, touch-tone instead of dual-tone multi frequency telephone signalling, zipper instead of clasp locker or hookless fastener, shopvac instead of wet/dry vacuum cleaner.
Hell, dry ice, kerosene, dumpster, tons of common words started out as trademarks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generic_and_genericized_trademarks
Get over it, it's a natural extension of the language.
>>933003
So basically stfu.
Tldr the ones you might see at a job site: skillsaw, sawzall, crecent wrench, robertson screw, phillips screw (when used to refer to one of the half dozen other cross screw shapes), dremel, rotozip, channelocks, shopvac, allen wrench, dumpster, formica, pergo, fiberglas, kerosene, linoleum, maglight, nylon, plexiglas, lexan, styrofoam, refridgerator, scotch tape, sharpie, sheetrock, superglue, tarmac, thermos, torx (when off brand called a hexalobular socket) tyvek, velcro, vinyl, x-acto knife, stanely (utility knife), zipper.
>>
A big motor and a little motor.
e.g., an induction motor for your metal lathe, router, table saw, or mechanical power hammer (if they still even exist); then a dremel, drill, reciprocating saw, other handheld device.
>>
>>932393
Drill and soldering iron (if that counts as a power tool)

The thought is bumming me out though
>>
Bench grinder and drill press, I can do everything else for work by hand, but that grinder with its custom mdf buffing wheel is lifesaving
>>
>>932393
razor knife and shovel. then kill someone that has more and better tools with my knife and bury with my shovel
>>
>>932393
Welder for attaching things to other things
Plasma torch for unattaching things from other things.
>>
Lathe and mill FTW
>>
>>936333
These are literally the only two power tools I have. Hack-sawing everything sucks ass, but all it takes is more time and I'm broke as fuck.
>>
Chainsaw and splitter.
>>
A piranha ironworker, and a makita angle grinder. You can do a lot with those two
>>
>>937850
i like the way you think
>>
A mill and a lathe
>>
A nice table saw and a drill press.
>>
>>935296
Calling "Skilsaw" a generalized trademark, especially when you are implying its on the same level as "styrofoam".
It just shows you are a southern hick.
>>
>>938841
Not that guy, but I'm I'm Michigan and tons of people call them skilsaws. Literally every reciprocating saw is called a Sawzall too.
Control your autism.
>>
>>932396
this, or my lathe and mill
>>
>>932393
a drill and a can opener
>>
File: bitch nigga.jpg (38KB, 300x296px) Image search: [Google]
bitch nigga.jpg
38KB, 300x296px
>>938841
Almost every person I've dealt with calls them "Skilsaw."
>>
>>932393
Oscillating tool and a lithiumpowered 18V impact drill
>>
A grinder, but only because it would take forever to actually cut through metal with a hand tool. Everything else can be done with hand tools really.
>>
>>933012
Referring to tools by their classic brand name isn't corporate programming unless you are a fucking autist, because you also know their theory of operation and that the customary use of a brand name over decades (or much longer) is only that.

Autistrage is hilarious. For example "Dremel" is shorter than "small electric rotary grinder/tool" and conveys a specific layout of motor and spindle and shank size and tool set. "Foredom" is less known and may be interchanged with flex shaft die grinder, but common usage has been "flex shaft die grinder" for hanging motor flex shaft tools similar to traditional Foredom.

In the workplace the SHORTER terms are favored because brevity makes for more efficient communication while autism just flags you as a sperglord.

Excessive autism often results in co-workers giving you shit for being annoying and not taking you seriously. Go work at a shop then spergtastically correct everyone who doesn't use specific long engineering nomenclature for everything and see what happens.

"Skilsaw" is spread throughout the country. I'm an urbanite Yankee and the term was in use many years ago. Likewise "Sawzall" is a de-facto standard though "recip saw" (holy babby Jeebus, I abbreviated "reciprocating", Allah forgive me!) is widely understood. However there are other "recip saws" including hydraulic and pneumatic of varying styles and sizes. Ask for a "Sawzall" and you get that style. Ask for "Sawzall blades" and you get that specific blade tang style.
>>
Hand saw, bleach and some plastic bags.
>>
>>939092
Just because a majority agree doesn't make it correct.
>>
>>939178
Actually, that's exactly how language works. The majority rules.
>>
>>939125
My coworkers refer to a circular saw and a reciprocating saw collectively as a skilsaw.

>have you seen the skilsaw?
Yeahs its by the table saw
>no a skilsaw anon!
Wtf ? Thats a circular saw.

The amount of dicks I wanna punch grows exponentially.
>>
>>932393
drill and sander
>>
>>933447
Are those 220 amp? Cool robot hands!
>>
>>939125
>Go work at a shop then spergtastically correct everyone who doesn't use specific long engineering nomenclature for everything and see what happens.

The nomenclature between different shops and trades are going to vastly differ on the trade and the professionalism of the place.

Hand me dat dere SaaZaa!
>>
Table saw and router
>>
skill saw and a power drill. Simply getting shit done with these two.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.