[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to attempt to construct a self-powered desk fan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (14KB, 241x295px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 241x295px
I'm going to attempt to construct a self-powered desk fan using a v gate magnet motor.

Tell me why I'm an idiot before I waste my time pretty pls?

I know I could probably do better with solar power, but it's fucking magnets man.
>>
>>931972
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_thermodynamics
>Have fun with that Nobel prize money
>>
>>931972
>self powered

what is this bullshit?
>>
>>931989
https://youtube.com/watch?v=bssBAb6EzM4
>>
File: image.gif (46KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
46KB, 150x150px
>>
>>931972
Why are weapons banned but not this?
Does it come under shitposting?
>>
>>931980
/thread
>>
>>931990
its not self powered you dipshit! its powered by the magnes which will slowly lose its power over time!

you are just using the energy that was required to magnetize that shit
>>
>>932048
It's a faked video.
>>
Jesus tap dancing Christ, you stupid mouth breathers. OP isn't making an overunity device or a perpetual motion device. He wants to make a magnet motor. Something that runs off the magnetic fields alone. Yes, it can work and does work. They last a long time, but are very low torque. No they do not last forever.

>>932048
That's what self-powered means. You laptop is self-powered for x amount of time because of the battery. Once the battery runs out, or in this case the magnets, it is no longer self-powered.

But, these things take a LONG LONG time to run down. "Neodymium magnets will likely lose less than1% of their flux density over 100 years." You're more likely to have the magnet break down due to physical wear and corrosion than from losing its flux within your lifetime.

>>931972
Yes, it can work. How much air flow do you want? You'd need a rather large one to move very much air at all. Magnets are not very cheap at those large sizes. A small one will only result in a very low amount of air volume being moved. Like a very gentle breeze if you use large fan blades or a tiny faster flow if you use small fan blade and higher gearing.

The one in the video >>931990 and >>931995 would be sufficient to move enough air for you to feel on your face from a few feet away. I say go for it. It'll be fun.
>>
>>932065
I'd be ecstatic if I could make it blow even a very light breeze, but ideally I would like it to move a significant amount of air, enough to cool me at least a little in the aussie summer.

I think though I'll just try to make one that just works to begin with, then I'll experiment with it when I know how to make it work.

It'll be an awesome desk ornament as well.
>>
I can never understand the hostility towards stuff like this. Yes the chance of success are slim but why not try it. At least try it. Don't tell me we learned all there is to nature in the last 200 years. Who knows what can be found. Go for it OP
>>
>>932076
Well that isn't going to happen. A very light breeze will be all that it could manage. You'll also need several of them together, all turned at a different angle to every other one. That will make them smoother. However, the part that makes the magnet to and from the v-gate is where most of the torque will be used up. So, a method to make that as frictionless/weightless as possible is needed.

Any super low torque device could be made from them though, like a neat clock for instance. It's best home/office use will be as a desk ornament and conversation starter. Perhaps a Stirling Engine fan would be better? It can use any temperature difference between heat/cold and the open air to run. The larger the temperature difference the faster they move. You could power it using ice, since you wouldn't want to use heat to power it. The temp difference between the ice and ambient air is normally be enough to make one run. Pic related.

>>932101
>I can never understand the hostility towards stuff like this.

The people who upload the videos and play with this stuff, those that get the most results in google/youtube are the ones who tout words like "free energy", "overunity", and "perpetual motion". It is quite frustrating when you are searching for this stuff and all you find is a bunch of retarded shit from people that shouldn't have graduated high school.
>>
>>932101
>Yes the chance of success are slim but why not try it
because the chances are not slim, they're 0
>>
>>932216
how you know
>>
>>932253
In this house, Lisa, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!
>>
File: Newtons_cradle.gif (302KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Newtons_cradle.gif
302KB, 480x360px
>>932101
>>932216
>>932253
>>932263
I don't get it. What does this shit have to do with the OP? It is just a magnet motor. They are not even remotely new technology. They work, but there's next to nothing you can really do with them that can't be done 10 other ways more efficiently. You can even get 3D printer files for making them from online and make your own. They are basically just a science toy. They are no more useful than a Newton's cradle.
>>
File: 6b8c2a5b1b8c5d2d6d1dab4d.jpg (48KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
6b8c2a5b1b8c5d2d6d1dab4d.jpg
48KB, 400x400px
>>932271
The desk toys you're thinking of are almost always battery powered:
http://alexnld.com/product/22mm-metal-magnetic-balance-balls-balance-kinetic-orbital-desk-decoration-toy/
> Battery: 4 x AA battery (not include)

Some of them work similar to Newton's cradle. They keep moving for several minutes because there's very little friction (energy loss).

Neither of these are what OP is trying to make. There's a huge amount of energy loss from the bars hitting each other so it doesn't function like a Newton's Cradle, and he thinks it can be "self-powered" (not battery powered). It's going to get a couple rotations with a good spin then stops unless there's trickery like a hidden electromagnet switching off and on. There is no arrangement of permanent magnets that will make a wheel like this work. It would spin LONGER if he ditched the mechanical system moving magnets around and just made a wheel that spins on low friction bearings.
>>
>>931990
Wouldn't it be faster without hitting the ring above?
>>
>>932342
>flipping out this hard

Dude, calm down.

>"self-powered" (not battery powered)

Battery powered is self-powered. Magnet powered is also self-powered. Self-powered means you don't plug it into a wall outlet. It doesn't mean it draws energy from the 5th dimension.

>The desk toys you're thinking of are almost always battery powered

What? I only mentioned Newton's cradle. The context was a comparison that both are just toys due to the fact there's not a whole lot you can do with them other than use them as an object lesson for learning physics.

> It would spin LONGER if he ditched the mechanical system moving magnets around and just made a wheel that spins on low friction bearings.

The OP device? No, there's a pretty major stall out at the point the magnet on top is lifted up. If it wasn't lifted up it wouldn't work at all. It'd just bounce back and forth reversing rotation. The "trickery" is moving the magnet that isn't attached to the wheel. Also, better ones are made with multiple sets of v-gates to reduce the stopping effects while giving them more force for turning. Like this one that use quad v-gates. I think his next step is to make a thing that moves a magnet so that it will allow for continuous spinning.

Try it yourself, these are simple to make.
>>
>>932342
OP here.
To clarify, what I meant by self powered is something that doesn't need to be plugged into the wall all the time for charging or require batteries in any way.

The magnets are part of the device as well, and will likely last longer than the other parts of the device, depending.

Perpetual motion is impossible, not only due to physics, but also due to wear and tear on moving parts. A v-gate magnet motor is about as close as you can get I think, assuming people aren't faking it to get youtube likes. I opted to use the term self-powered instead to be more technically accurate.
>>
equivalent electric powered fan will be 100x cheaper than those magnets
>>
>>932591
But how many fans do you see that are powered by magnets?

Sure, an electric fan is more practical, but it's not as awesome as having one you made yourself, powered by a quasi-perpetual-motion motor.
>>
File: magnets.jpg (129KB, 1000x751px) Image search: [Google]
magnets.jpg
129KB, 1000x751px
I'll just leave this here.
>>
Hey /diy/! How do I make this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2wG90QlZSU
>>
>>932597
Last time he said he had an actuator in the black part of the one in >>931995 then later said he had a string in his hand he was pulling. This guy keeps saying it is fake and coming up with all these ways to show it is fake. Yet, there are several others online who have working ones.

Which is really fucking weird if you ask me.

They are just not worth anything since there's no way to use them for anything productive since they barely have enough torque to keep themselves going for very long.
>>
>>932664
It is just an HHO torch. Those are easy to make. Making them well and not blowing yourself up or being hounded by crazy people might be more difficult.
>>
It is a well-known fact that Free Energy is real. Only phaggots and shills still deny it.

Check this, OP:

http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/
>>
>>932705
Yes, free energy is real, just look at solar power, no need for bullshit-don't-work-aynway devices from your link.
There's a difference between free energy and perpetual motion.
>>
File: 1319558188039.jpg (22KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1319558188039.jpg
22KB, 500x280px
>>932597
But where did the air come from?
>>
Crude oil is at or even bellow $30 a barrel, a barrel is 45 gallons.

After shipping, refining, shipping again gas is only $2 a gallon.

If you can t afford that learn to walk.
>>
>>932669
>Yet, there are several others online who have working ones.
>>
>>932794
They are just desk toys. Nothing more. It is like you are wanting the water rocket you got from Toys-R-Us to take you to the moon or something.
>>
>>932065
So, either those are just crazy powerful magnets (as in will rip your arm off), or I can't imagine that the translation of magnetic flux to another form of energy is enough to overcome the friction of the wheel. and that's assuming that flux density is actually energy, rather than a field arising from atoms that are in an arrangement.
Given how little power is required to MAKE magnets, I just don't see how the energy density is there.
it's the same thing as engines that try to harvest gravitational energy to make them run.
>>932564
basically as far as I can tell, these aren't motors, they're just toys. They don't 'generate' power, they just store a lot of inertia in the magnetic energy you have to overcome to start spinning it.
>>932597
I'm tempted to think that something like this is the root of every single one on youtube that goes faster. like the tennis ball door unlocker hoax there was a few years back.
>>
>>933102
>They don't 'generate' power, they just store a lot of inertia in the magnetic energy you have to overcome to start spinning it.

Of course. The same goes for all motors. You must continually feed them power to keep them going. Electric motors use electric, combustion motors use fuel, etc. Magnet motors use an outside source. The best you can hope for is a longer spin down by reducing friction. What you are seeing is a poorly designed magnetic bearing used as a flywheel.

There's just no use for these. Thus, "desktop toys" is the best label you can give them.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.