[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help. The only thing that seems obviously fucked up is the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Need help. The only thing that seems obviously fucked up is the melted black plastic on the coil.
This is the circuit board from a Black and Decker BNA17 minifridge.
My girlfriend said it just stopped working one day and I want to see if I can fix it.
>>
Fix/replace the coil then
I have no expertise on fridges, so I cant suggest anything
>>
>>931526
Inductors / transformers don't just burn out by themselves. They do burn our but something else is the cause, like a short somewhere.
Also it's a pretty day picture and form here the coil looks like it might not be damaged just china glued (the black stuff the use for smd chips)
Anyhow before you replace it check the rest of the board for shorts.
>>
>>931532
I don't have any experience working on circuitry, but I don't see any other spots on the board that look blown. Any help is appreciated, I'm combing over it for blown components right now
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Here's another picture, hopefully a little better
>>
>>931534
I can't really see much of the board on your picture. the caps I can see seem fine, it has a fuse that should of burnt out before any components tho, dose it seem fine?
It could have overheated externally but that would have blown the caps first.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>931539
>>
>>931541
Can you upload a picture of the underside too so we can see the solder joint?
>>
>>931538
yeah the black stuff is china glue that's not the problem. The inductor's fine.
post a pick of the other part of the board
>>
>>931542
Joints*
>>
>>931541
Hmm well that bottom capacitors looks bulgy on the pick, check if it really is blown (if it's top is popping outwards) apart for that board seems fine.
To troubleshoot it, if you have a multimeter, rig it up and turn it on. Read the amps it drains and work out if its draining more that if should. If it is you have a short.
Maybe your problem isn't electronics?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hope this is good
>>
>>931550
Yeah it's the caps. Someone was messing with them already too
>>
>>931552
Do I need to replace or resolder the capacitors?
>>
File: 1453072928742.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1453072928742.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>931550
I've highlighted a few areas of interest that could have cracked solder joints.
>>
>>931556
Awesome, thank you so much. So should I start by clearing the site and resolder?
>>
File: glue.png (547KB, 546x537px) Image search: [Google]
glue.png
547KB, 546x537px
>>931526
Is this just glue or is there a chunk of the diode missing?
>>
>>931554
I'd replace it, since resoldering won't make them leak any less. and they are dirt cheap.
I assume that those are starter capacitors for the motor on the compressor and that's why it wont start. so might want to look in to some lubrication on the compressor.
Is the bottom capacitors top convex a bit?
>>
>>931558
it's might be damaged by a high voltage surge or might just have gotten chipped in manufacture. Check it's conductivity. If it works like a diode your fine
>>
>>931558
I think it's just a bit of glue, not 100% though
>>
>>931557
Just retouch them with some fresh solder, 60/40 sn pb is the preferred type of solder if you have some.

Careful not to get any mess on the mains side of the PCB as high voltage can gradually track across stuff like flux residue.
>>
>>931526
I love how the first responses are invariably capacitor / solder joints / lifted traces instead of blown fuse or breaker on the outlet you have it plugged in to.

Don't waste your time with any of the suggestions here until you check all the fuses, breakers, wires, and plugs. It's like replacing the head gasket in a car that's out of gas.
>>
>>931560
I think it is a bit convex, yeah.
>>
>>931569
can you post a side pick of it?
>>
>>931565
Do I try to get rid of the solder on the site before retouching it or just dab more on the site?
>>
>>931566
this
check the fuse, and don't just look at it, use an ohmmeter
>>931556
looks like the output wires, the two transistors and two (protection?) diodes circled. outputs look fine, they just didn't clean the flux off (probably soldered by hand instead of wave soldering.) transistors look pretty shitty but could be fine.
>>
Isn't this a Peltier fridge?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>931570
How's this?
>>
>>931571
Just add a dab more, the old stuff can stay there. Just make sure you let the joint get hot enough for the new solder to flow well and make a good joint. Chinese solder is crap.

But like >>931566 said have you checked the obvious first like fuses and making sure there is voltage at the outlet?
>>
>>931579
The one on the left looks like it could be going bad, the puffed out top is an indicator of this.
>>
>>931575
This one says Black and Decker, could they be distributed by others under different names?
>>
>>931581
I've tried their outlets that were working for sure, and by fuse do you mean a fuse on the Circuit Board? I haven't taken a meter to it but it doesn't look blown
>>
>>931582
I'll go ahead and replace it to be sure, thanks
>>
>>931579
yeah swap them both out and your set to go.
Left ones about to let out the magic pop of doom.
>>
>>931585
Ok then.

>and by fuse do you mean a fuse on the Circuit Board?
Yeah check that too. I forgot that its just us brits who have fuses in our plugs.

Do you have a multimeter? If so you could carefully check for output voltages whilst its plugged in, place the board on something non conductive and don't touch any of the heatsinks as they could be live at some 170vdc if in 120v land.
>>
Thank you guys for the help, I'll try the stuff y'all suggested and comeback if I fuck up, it didn't work, or I died
>>
File: peltier01.jpg (137KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
peltier01.jpg
137KB, 800x600px
>>931583
Does it have something like pic related or a black pumpkin like the house ones?
>>
>>931591
Make sure you short out those big capacitors before going anywhere near them, they can hold a nasty charge even after being unplugged.

Trust me a couple hundred volts at a few hundred micro farads really hurts, a lot.
>>
File: Capacitor.jpg (496KB, 781x1864px) Image search: [Google]
Capacitor.jpg
496KB, 781x1864px
>>931605
Dad always said getting electrocuted was a part of growing up
>>
>>931610
kek
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.