[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I work at a pawn shop, and we're having a 50% off tool sale

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (428KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
428KB, 1024x682px
I work at a pawn shop, and we're having a 50% off tool sale today. I have my pick of the litter before it officially kicks off.

What all should I invest in? So far, I have a jigsaw, a couple of sanders, and a sawzall. There is a drill press, band saw, and a big compressor, each under $50. What are some essential tools for furniture making? I've done some light stuff, but want to get into bigger and more intricate pieces.
>>
>>930914
what brand of bandsaw and drill press?
where is this sale?
>>
>>930914
Just be careful of used compressors, check the tank if you can.
>>
>>930914
You have told us exactly nothing. Its like saying "I work at a used car dealership and they having a 50% off sale. The have cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, what should I buy?"

If you buy a shit tool you will hate it and it will slow you down. You will have to fix mistakes that wouldn't happen otherwise. A shitty Taiwanese drill press, for example, will probably have bad runout, no power and a shitty chuck. If its a nicer machine it could be well worth getting. But if you don't tell us things like Make/Model/Country of Origin we cant tell you a fucking thing.

Sometimes its better to have no tool then a shitty tool. I'd rather use a good hand drill then a garbage drill press. I've rather have to scribe a line and cut a board by hand then use a shit table saw.
>>
I've had good luck with air nailers from pawn shops. I always asked to try them out first. Most often id find that they need a new driver. Which is fairly cheap to order unless its a hitachi brand.

Picked up all my senco finish nailers this way.
>>
>>930914
Look for a nice miter saw, and I see jobs it table saws at pawnshops too
>>
pick up a circular saw (skill-saw) and buy a new DeWalt blade for it.

SkillSaw is a brand to look for.
>>
>>930914
what kind of furniture? sawzall is mostly for demolition work, but is useful for cutting the heads off nails to disassemble pallets (if that's the way you're going).
Sander is necessary for furniture work, really. although you can get by with a plane and cabinet scraper.
Drill press is occasionally useful, but honestly bandsaw and tablesaw. compressors afaik are great for running nailers to put on trim, but furniture work doesn't really need a nailer.
>>
Are pawn shops a good place to buy literally anything? I have always avoided them out of hand becuase I'm not a nigger.

Maybe I was wrong and there are decent things to bought?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>931105

Op here

They're hit or miss. We have two different stores, one specializing in jewelry, and the other (mine) in tools, electronics, and other manufactured goods.

They're a great place to haggle and get a good deal (we regularly get Zale's and Kay's rings- and sell them based on gold and diamond weight, which usually ends up making the price 1/5 what it is at a jewelry store), but I recommend thoroughly testing each piece of merchandise before you buy.

I've got some pretty good deals in the past, just by merit of seeing something when it first comes out. Got a brand new Estwing hatchet for $10, Dremel 4000 with a whole case of attachments for $25, 46" TV for $200, PS4 for $250, new Lenovo Yoga for $300, etc.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.