[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is sheet metal a good trade to get in to?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: sq2rd.jpg (157KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
sq2rd.jpg
157KB, 500x375px
Is sheet metal a good trade to get in to?
>>
Selling sheet metal?
Making it?
Working with it?
Scrapping it?
Looking at your reflection in it and calling yourself pretty?
>>
>>930560

Fabrication and installation (mostly fabrication)
>>
>>930559
SMWIA is the tin whacker union very good job benefits, pension, can easily hit 100K a year
>>
Make well covers and automobile rocker panels in your spare time for extra income.
>>
I currently work in a light fabrication workshop with two other guys and I've gotta say it is fucking great.

At the end of last year we finished making a 2200mm x 1700mm toolbox for a ute with customized internal shelving, trays and lighting which we are now waiting on auto electrics to install central locking onto the door of the toolbox.

I've only been in the this trade for 7-8 months and I love it. If you enjoy working with your hands and seeing peoples faces light up when you finish a job for them then sheetmetal is the way to go.
>>
>>930559
If you don't like your fingers
>>
>>931971
You're a fuckup, we get it. Avoid power tools, they'll fucking kill a careless shit like you.
>>
>>931971
>>931974

To be fair on ...971, he's not far off the mark. Back when I was doing industrial maintenance in a sheet metal plant more than a few of the older boys were missing fingers, a lot of the heavy machinery used bites hard.
>>
File: IMAG0538.jpg (3MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0538.jpg
3MB, 3024x5376px
>>930561
Yes.
>>
>>930561
>>931984
Forget fabrication. Working in a shop becomes the worst after your 1000th side takeoff. Installation is decent after you stop cutting yourself constantly. Around here (Canada) there aren't enough people getting into sheet metal so jobs are easy to come by and pay well especially if you are fully licensed.
>>
>>931987
I don't fabricate. I install. Best of both worlds.
>>
File: 1248973891640.png (13KB, 416x500px) Image search: [Google]
1248973891640.png
13KB, 416x500px
>>930559
the machines will nibble you, you might think they're being playful but they're evil.
they'll use all the little bits to build a robot that steals your job.
>>
>>931987

They have fabrication licenses?

Don't you mean certifications?
>>
If you're remotely clumsy or lacking in hand-eye coordination then no.
>>
>>932171
This, I used to work in a plant as a guillotine operator and the only guys that had injuries were the ones that were on drugs in their spare time and needed coffe just to get to work in the morning.

All it takes is one bad day and you're short a couple of fingers
>>
If you do refrigeration, you can do large amounts of sheet metal.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.