[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ >TL;DR Help me learn Synths 101 I'm going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: minimoog.jpg (82KB, 600x465px) Image search: [Google]
minimoog.jpg
82KB, 600x465px
Hey /diy/

>TL;DR Help me learn Synths 101

I'm going to be starting up a synthesizer project this upcoming semester (hopefully more than one) and am looking for the best references to learn about synth design, development, and construction.

As a physics major I already know a lot of the basics of electronics and circuits, but that's mostly stuff like V = IR and what not. I don't know how any of that applies to actually generating sounds like a synth does.

My university apparently has a collection of Bob Moog's notes and drawings that I will hopefully be able to look at, though many of the parts might be outdated.

Hopefully this is enough info to get my point across, so please /diy/, teach me about synthesizers.
>>
>>930061
You basically need to learn about RLC circuits and how the charging/discharge changes waveforms. Frequency modulation can be easily done using a 555.
>>
You might like this series of articles: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

It's older, but the fundamentals don't change.
>>
>>930079
>http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

This looks super helpful, will definitely spend some time looking through these articles

>>930072
I've been introduced to RLC circuits through E&M and Diff Eq, but am clueless on the practical application of them in synths (i.e. how the charging/discharging changes waveforms).

Care to give a brief explanation?
>>
musicfromouterspace.com is a good source.
I'm working on building a modular myself.
almost done with the sequencer >>930070

knowing only "the basics" means looking at original moog schematics won't do you much good.

hackaday's "logic noise" series could be a good introduction to wave synthesis by inverters with RC feedback.
some of the classic lo-fi circuits, like the atari punk console is an easy place to start.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.