[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Robot Wars is coming back! In honour of it, what would you make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 17

File: file.png (295KB, 465x464px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
295KB, 465x464px
Robot Wars is coming back!

In honour of it, what would you make if you had to make a fighting robot?
>>
>remote control that works with light instead of radio waves
>a jammer
>>
>>929569
You can't have anything that interferes with electronics, if I remember correctly. No flamethrowers either.
>>
>>929581
How about rocket launchers?
>>
>>929566
Battle bots was (and is still) far superior to robot wars.
>>
File: Barry...png (760KB, 1471x915px) Image search: [Google]
Barry...png
760KB, 1471x915px
>>929590
Get outta town.
>>
>>929590
How does being entirely wrong feel?
>>
>>929600
>>929591
>muh fire!
>muh pit!
>muh house bots!

It took RC combat and threw faggot WWF style garbage all over it.
Only children preferred Robot Wars to Battlebots.
>>
/diy/ is banding together right? For a robot idea?
You can do this guys
>>
>>929620
>WWF
>Bad
>>
File: LeLenny.png (33KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LeLenny.png
33KB, 1920x1080px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LQ_JEbsAHU
>>
>>929623
I would but I can't into engineering.

Used to love the show mind.
>>
>>929623
Were you not here last year when BattleBots came back?
We had weekly "gamethreads" where everyone watched the show, and throughout the week there was a lot of talk about the actual robots.
You could have even went to /sp/ or /tv/ and been in a fast gamethread.

One of the MIT robot crew came in and talked, and several high school robot makers were posting videos of their bots from years back, and there was a few people posting about designs and ideas. Went on for a good long time.

Battlebots season 2 has been picked up, so I assume its going to be the same. And this time people have notice so half of the bots arent going to be shit.

>>929628
Its not if you want to see Michael bay effects instead of actual RC combat. But hey, nobody actually liked seeing technical talk with the robot builders, we want to see DA HOUSE BOTS!
>>
I'd make a crawler tread tank which could get up after being turned over or flipped upside down
>>
>>929650
There are weight classes, aren't there?

I always wondered why you didn't jsut make your robot too heavy to flip.
>>
File: timberwolf.jpg (347KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
timberwolf.jpg
347KB, 1920x1200px
no contest
>>
File: battlebots.jpg (68KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
battlebots.jpg
68KB, 1280x720px
>>929653
110kg weight limit, there's a size limit too but I don't know how big it can be.

No electrical weapons (magnets/tasershit), no ballistics (muhguns), no chemical weapons (too messy/includeswater), no entanglement devices (nets/string). Flamethrowers are allowed in some competitions, Battlebots this yeah had them.
>>
File: rrobo.png (277KB, 572x478px) Image search: [Google]
rrobo.png
277KB, 572x478px
>>929653
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOipqkKB7fc
Aluminium is very lightweight put that on as an armor and then arm the thing with like a retractable blade or something (like a scorpion)
>>
The best one I ever saw was a steel cylinder about 2.5' wide by 2' tall. Based on the sounds it made it was probably 1/4" plate. Welded on the outside all around were flat sharapened plates parallel to the top. It would spin up to like 2000+ rpms then just had basic direction movements. Highest weight class at like 200lbs. Absolutely fucking annihilated anything and everything. There are some videos on YouTube of it but it would take some digging to find them.
>>
>>929706
studless is for fags
>>
stationary bot, with hammers or something on a turret on top
rises on a skirt or something
>>
>>929590
>>929620
This
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzraVXP-5KQ

It was always about the flywheels when I was a lad.
>>
>>930267
>water pressure pump
Robot wars didnt allow full body spinners did they?
>>
File: african engineering.png (3KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
african engineering.png
3KB, 640x480px
>>929706
>aluminium for armor
I don't think that's a good idea anon

Anyway, here's my 2 minute trackpad rendering of a fighting robot. Belt driven flywheel mounted to the underside of the chassis and protruding in front of the wheels.
>>
File: EFP.gif (450KB, 192x144px) Image search: [Google]
EFP.gif
450KB, 192x144px
EFPs
EFPs everywhere
>>
>>930350
You're not allowed to use explosives or projectiles, that's one of the most basic rules.
>>
EE that just started their senior year here.
Actually making one as a final project for a class.
I JUST got approved for it like 5 minutes ago.
My plan is to make a decent base model, and the weapons could be movable, to add and move as seen fit.

Only thing is, it needs to be for "more than fighting", at the end of the day. So i plan on putting a spotlight and a camera on it, just to say that is its "non-violent" use.

Other than that idea, I plan on working out a design tonight and over the next few days.

Shame the other guy planning on building one backed out. We were going to fight them.
>>
>>930549
Say it's supposed to smash through shit for rescuing disaster victims.
>>
>>930634
lol I said it was to smash through shit and take out fires, with a spotlight and camera and a loud speaker to help locate people.

I know it's against rules, but having a mounted cannon would be fun as shit.

I'm thinking tank chassis with wheels, large shield/plating on the front for ramming shit with some large solenoids that cause a huge ass spike to flip and pierce stuff, with a flame thrower under that.

Also maybe a outer shell for protection that can rapidly open up to knock things away at it's side, or help it flip over.

I'm pretty much picturing a robot rhinoceros beetle that shoots flames from it's mouth.

It would be really cool to have it somehow grab a robot with pincers and lift it up somehow on it's back "legs" or wheel/treads, like a real beetle.

This is all just my imagination talking though.
>>
>Good 'ole One-Two
High-speed arm that smashes the armor and grabs the enemy chassis from the hole, then lifts it and punches it from the underside with a pair of piston spikes

>Die Alteisen
Overhead swinging arm with a revolving spike at the end (think of a giant revolver with spikes instead of bullets), with enough weight and thrust it should fuck everyone up.

>The Dragonslayer
The longest and heaviest rectangular slab of metal allowed by the rules, linked to a motor that swings overhead or sideways.
>>
>>930549
Just throw some small forklift bits on there and make it move shit, like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-B0kjp4s4A
>>
>>930657
Fuck the tracks off, in every robot with them, they get damaged or fall of and you're stuck then. Except sir K, but they were way out of the weight class
>>
>>930125
The hypnodisc with the kinetic energy flywheel..?
>>
File: cu.png (1016KB, 1600x1062px) Image search: [Google]
cu.png
1016KB, 1600x1062px
A table sawblade which turns horizontally and wheels which can be moved inside so the thing has a grip on the floor with its rubber bottom.
>>
as a boringly practical person....

Wedge design, 2 wheels with differential control to allow turning, the nose of the bot touching the ground, to ensure it can get underneath the lowest targets. Large-ish wheels, 10mm or so bigger than the bot overall, so it can be driven flipped entirely upside down.

either an aluminium monocoque chassis, built from box sections and honeycomb, or carbon fibre, depending on what resources I have available, with electrics in a central survival cell with Evazote LD20 foam as a damping material - with duplexed carbon steel armour - outer casing of heat-treated 4mm 1060 spec carbon steel, Heat-treated to 46HrC (hard enough to take almost any impact, soft enough to not crack), inner of 2mm carbon HT'd to 42HRC, spaced with a bonded 2mm layer of neoprene. Individual panels would be affixed to the chassis by internal mountings set into the chassis on easily replaced deformable risers, designed to break, rather than transfer damage to the main chassis.

weapon, either a pneumatic flipper in the upper face of the wedge, to throw the targets up and out of the ring, of if insufficient force can be generated to make a flipper throw 150kg easily, then maybe think about a single spike trailed behind like a ray's tail to flick up and over, use speed, rather than mass, for more impact force
>>
>>929623
>shipping container on wheels powered by RasPi
>weapons are a Makita Drill and a Harbor Freight air compressor
>>
>>931074
>covered in pallets for aesthetics and additional protection
>>
File: shredder.gif (2MB, 315x235px) Image search: [Google]
shredder.gif
2MB, 315x235px
Maybe one of these things. Climb on top of the enemy, dig those teeth in and chew through the top of 'em.
>>
>>931074
>Harbor Freight air compressor
what does it do drop it on the other robot?
>>
>>931074
>power source is imitation crab combustion chamber
>>
>>931074

Lawnmower blade on the front with the words
>Yellowjacket Slaughter
>>
>>931127
It explodes when you least expect it, to throw the other team's balance off.
>>
>>931107
I can hear the goddamn music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibEdgQJEdTA
>>
File: gcanstourunderwet04_900.jpg (63KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
gcanstourunderwet04_900.jpg
63KB, 900x506px
>>930364
More like one of the most gay ass homo rules.

There needs to be a no holds barred part of the show where they shove some robots into an enclosed and submerged concrete room and teleoperate them with embedded cameras for total destruction with maximum safety.
>>
>>931150
Battle theme acquired.
>>
>>931107
I was thinking the same thing.

It can be from the side too.
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 980x664px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 980x664px
>>931107
How should I feel about this, /diy/?
>>
File: Firestorm.gif (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Firestorm.gif
16KB, 320x240px
>>931066
So basically... Firestorm
>>
>>931678
Wedges aren't game breaking anymore because the arena obstacles have gotten so bad right?
>>
Inverted mixing bowl with a vacuum cleaner to suck onto the floor, tread driven for traction, with as much weight as low and far from center as possible. Weapon is a single spike welded on top.
>>
I always thought the idea of robot wars was nice but the scale too limited

My ideal setup:
>arena is a square maybe 10km on a side in the middle of a desert somewhere
>radio geofencing and physical antitank defenses e.g. those hedgehog caltrop things around the perimiter
>weight classes 1, 5, 10, 20, maybe 50 tons
>none of these bullshit restrictions e.g. on ballistics, EMF weapons, jamming etc
>no individual competitor teams - companies only (people can still form a company to enter but this would allow existing military contractors to enter)
>bots have to be capable of running autonomously (since jamming is allowed)
>army units on standby in case any of the bots escape the arena
>drones flying overhead for camera
>leftover UXO becomes arena hazards for later seasons
>winners get publicity to sell their weapons systems to militaries or get bought out by an existing military contractor

but the risks are too great it would probably never happen
>>
I'd just equip it with one of those cow killing pneumatic guns that just use a steel rod so it isnt ballistic. Or some clamps to grab on the enemy and a skropion like hooked axe with both a circular and a backwards to rip off pieces.
>>
>>931107
That would work if the enemy was a tin can.
>>
>>932492
Yeah it would. The disks have little claws on them to grab stuff like that.
>>
>>932403
This is what Robot Wars should have been
>expansive tho
>>
If Craig Charles isn't presenting it it will be shite.
>>
>>932730
I'm pretty sure you mean Jeremy Clarkson.
>>
An armoured forkliftesque thing.
>>
>>929588
THAT'S NOT FAIR!!!
>>
>>932403
You just figured out how to invent the Bolo Tank...
>>
>>930694
>the dragonslayer
I didn't know you could bring in a jcb digger as a counterweight.
>>
>>929581
Would be sick to use a oxy torch. Or a giant electro magnet.
>>
>>932730
Agree
>>
>>929581
>No flamethrowers either.
what about a liquid nitrogen dispenser? I imagine you could seriously fuck some mechanisms with sub zero temperatures.
>>
File: 1371855157993s.jpg (2KB, 125x122px) Image search: [Google]
1371855157993s.jpg
2KB, 125x122px
>>929590
AGREED
>>
File: 1378496133425.png (138KB, 1495x409px) Image search: [Google]
1378496133425.png
138KB, 1495x409px
>>931138
kek
>>
>>929569
No ones going to mention how dumb this post is.
Like I know you meant ir blaster but still. No one should forget what radio waves are.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.