[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I bought this Gerber folding knife (Scout) and I loved it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 4936.jpg (19KB, 740x376px) Image search: [Google]
4936.jpg
19KB, 740x376px
So I bought this Gerber folding knife (Scout) and I loved it but I hate how it looks. The huge BG initials and the signature I can live with, but the orange plastic looks awful in my opinion. What could I use to coat the plastic with? I'm looking for a grey/black coat that wouldn't wear off so easily and sustain some abuse.
>>
Dye that penetrates the plastic, probably.
It's the BG and signature I couldn't accept...
>>
>>928764
I could probably remove the BG with some acetone, but I think the signature is laser engraved.
>>
File: WP_20160111_19_39_54_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160111_19_39_54_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3072x1728px
Mine cost $9.

Why don't you just get one that isn't ugly to begin with?
>>
>>928768
Mine was really cheap too, I bought it because the reviews looked very good.
>>
>>928768
>Why don't you just get one that isn't ugly to begin with?

Because, while Gerber makes pretty low tier knives out of mystery steel, its still far superior to that piece of garbage.
>>
Since they aren't expensive I wouldn't really consider changing the looks to be worth the effort. A gallon of acetone cost more than a new knife.
>>
My brother got one of those.

The salesman cut himself closing it and a few weeks later so did I.

I don't know why because I have never cut myself closing a knife, but if you get it watch out for that. Very sharp from the factory too.

If the price is right I wouldn't worry about how it looks, unless you are one of those fags that shows off knives with your "bros"
>>
>>928772
It's a knife, if you use them regularly their going to get dull and you're going to need to get new ones sometimes. I would just use the orange one until it sucks, then get a nicer looking one. Or get a nicer looking one, then use that one until it sucks, then use the orange one
>>
>>928777
Do you really stop using your knifes because they "get dull"? There's something out there called sharpening, and if you take good care of your blade, you'll never need to replace it.
>>
>>928779
If this were true a 6 cent razor blade would be all I need for my job. Knifes can only be sharpened so much before they suck.
>>
>>928779
When you buy a Smith and Wesson (or any other Frost Cutlery tier knife from the gas station) they come dull and are close to impossible to resharpen. The nasty working edge you can get on them just get dull immediately when you use them.

Ive owned a smith and wesson knife like that and the linerlock failed, and the hinge pin broke.
When you are stuck with a dull knife, you are forced to use it harder. Too bad they cant stand up to the use.
Makes them dangerous to use.

>>928782
>Knifes can only be sharpened so much before they suck.

Because you obviously buy 9$ knives.
>>
>>928779

>you'll never need to replace it

We go through 2.5' long cutlasses every 6 months.

It depends on the level of usage.
>>
>>928784
Well, in that case it's because the knife loses material upon every sharpening, you dont throw them out because they "start to suck" like >>928777 said.
>>
>>928785
They start to suck after you sharpen them enough
>>
>>928774
I agree that knives are tools and don't need to be pretty, that's why i got it in the first place. But it certainly woudn't hurt to paint it black.
>>
>>928788
You're probably doing it wrong then.
>>
>>928785

Right. For some reason I thought when he said "they start to suck" that he meant that you run out of enough blade to make them useful.
>>
>>928788
This only is true for garbage knives, and for tards who cant sharpen correctly.
Old timers used to sharpen a single Case knife for 40 years till the blade is nothing but a nub.

You buy a cheap "tactical" looking knife that wont hold a real edge, you have to use something like a diamond stone which removes a ton of material when you struggle to sharpen it. Especially how stupid and thick most of those blades are.

Buy something with actual edge retention and you wont have this problem.
>>
Plasti-dip it.
>>
>>928794
Diamond stones are usually the finest grit stone and so remove very little material. You wouldn't generally start sharpening a dull knife on a diamond stone, it's more for finishing.
>>
>>928902
>>928794
Actually, there are a lot of grits of diamond stones, some of them are finer and some are courser.
>>
>>928902
Wut
Diamond sharpeners are very very aggressive in terms of sharpeners.

Sure you can get "fine" diamond sharpeners but they are still more aggressive than most ceramic or natural stones.

When you are doing a full edge reprofile, diamond is popular for the initial rough working edges because of how quickly it can eat shoulders and raise a burr.

Its also got a real cool sounding name, so people buy really strong (and cheap) ones and that can ruin their 9$ knives.
Very quickly can get to a point where it would take hours to repair the damage by hand.

>>928910
While true, none of them are going to be used to hone your edges unless you are looking for an obtuse working edge.
>>
>>928783
The harder a knife is to sharpen, the harder is usually is to blunted, and vice versa, e.g. carbon steel vs stainless.

And check you out taking the piss out of somebody for buying a 9 dollar knife when you admittedly buy Smith & Wesson shite.

Also, a steel blade is not an infinite resource.....they wear with sharpening, meaning that sooner or later the knife will need replacing.
>>
File: Benchmade.jpg (79KB, 960x632px) Image search: [Google]
Benchmade.jpg
79KB, 960x632px
>>929242
>The harder a knife is to sharpen, the harder is usually is to blunted

Absolutely, if we are talking about a quality steel like S30v, which most importantly has been heat treated properly.
It can be a nightmare to sharpen, but once it has a real edge it will hold that edge.

But on the other side of the spectrum, there is cheap low quality garbage steel on a Frost Cutlery that has a very poor heat treat.
Its literally impossible to get a nice edge because the steel is of such poor quality.
You can get a rough and weak toothy edge using a diamond stone, and then people are somehow surprised a cut on cardboard dulls it again.

There is a reason those knives are in blister packs in gas stations and tractor supply stores for $9.

>And check you out taking the piss out of somebody for buying a 9 dollar knife

You got me, I actually have no problems with cheap knives as long as they are ok quality. I have a few Enlans, Sanremnus, Byrds.
Its up to you to decide if paying 10$ to a product that has had several middle men, retail packaging, retail store shelf space, or imported directly from china who lied to customs to save on shipping.
There is a large profit margin for both, one will have much better raw materials.

>Also, a steel blade is not an infinite resource.....they wear with sharpening, meaning that sooner or later the knife will need replacing.

While this is technically true, in reality it just doesnt happen.
Look at pic related, do you know how insanely long it would take to actually get a modern blade down to this size under typical resharpening and reprofiling?

Talking years of daily abuse, or one day with a retard and belt sander.

Just because some cant figure out how to reprofile and cut a new edge doesnt mean that knives permanently "wear out" every 6-8 months. Of course low quality blades will never take an edge so that point is moot, they arent worth owning. You dont see people throwing out Spydercos after the factory edge is dead.
>>
the color is retarded, but i believe it is meant to make the knife easier to find in a disaster/survival situation. I would consider letting it be the kind of knife it is and getting another to suit your taste.
>>
>>929423

>those guys with olive and camo knives that can't find them even though "it was right there"
>>
>>929423
>implying
>>
>>928794
I own a 50yr old case knife. It was my father's pocket knife - I carry and use it daily. Sharpen as needed.
>>
>>929753
That's pretty neato. Assuming you're not an online liar.
>>
>>929785
What sounds fake about that guys post?

I have a few of my grandfathers pocket knives, I dont carry them all that often though.
>>
>>929423
> Your knife being anywhere other than in your hand or in its sheath.
> Ever.
>>
>>929808
This. I guess these bright colors help you find the knife in case you drop it on leaves or dirt, but you kinda need a mental problem to send your knife flying while using it.
>>
>>929800
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.