[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sticky cable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: calisto800_cable.png (59KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
calisto800_cable.png
59KB, 500x324px
Hello. I have a translucid telephone cable that is sticky right now. Two years ago I cleaned it with isopropilic alcohol, but it's sticky again... There is a way to cure it from this syndrome?
>>
Stop letting your dozens of cats piss all over it.
>>
>>928512
I don't have cats. Appears that the translucid material is degrading... Like old rubber band...
>>
>>928511
unfortunately no, you got shitty pvc insulation
>>
>>928514
How about if I remove the transparent cover? There is a gray insulation inside it, with the wires inside.
>>
If it's sticky because it's dirty why not clean it again? I mean, people don't just clean their house once and then weeks later say, "why is my house dirty? I already cleaned it once." If it's sticky because it's bad rubber you're only real options are to deal with it or replace it. You could go through the hassle of stripping it and trying to put heat shrink tubing in it or something, but that hardly sounds worth it.
>>
>>928566
It was stored inside a cardboard box along with several other cables. None of the others got sticky, just this. So it's not dirt-caused.

>You could go through the hassle of stripping it and trying to put heat shrink tubing in it or something, but that hardly sounds worth it.
How about this? >>928520
>>
>>928520
Post pics. Are there two layers of insulation?
>>
File: The Sticky Telephone Cable.png (1014KB, 788x1020px) Image search: [Google]
The Sticky Telephone Cable.png
1014KB, 788x1020px
>>928580
There is the external transparent layer, than two gray rubber insultators, than two copper wires inside. Here, have one pic:
>>
>>928511
Here's how you fix this permanently:

* Throw it away
* Spend $2 and buy a nice shiny new one
* Repeat as necessary

/thread
>>
>>928606
This would destroy the natural environment! The 3Rs are: reduce, reuse and recycle. I'm wanting to know how to reduce the needing of new cables.
>>
>>928613
...then put alcohol on it every 2 years.
>>
>>928614
I don't know how much time it requires to get sticky again. I had not checked everyday, I checked after 2 years, it's possible that it gets sticky in 2 days! Also, can you tell me what do you think about this >>928520 , please?
>>
>>928619
That's a terrible idea.
>>
>>928624
Why?
>>
>>928632
You know what? Just fucking do it. You seem intent on it, and when someone answers your question you don't want to accept the answer
>>
Maybe the alcohol is what caused its degradation in the first place.
>>
>>928632
Time is money, it would take you longer/material cost to fix it than it would to work for x amount of minutes in order to pay for a new one that isn't fucked.
>>
>>928636
The question is how to prevent discarting it. The best answer I got was "use alcohol", which I already attempted. Discarting does not answers how to not discart.
>>
>>928639
You don't throw it away by putting it a box, forgetting about it. And buying a new cable. Sweet Jesus anon, you strike me as the kind of person who would try to waah and reuse toilet paper.
>>
>>928637
Not possible. The alcohol was used only after the cable got sticky. I do not know, however, which product the previous owners used to clean it.
>>
>>928640
I don't use toilet papers for years. It kills trees unnecessarily.
>>
>>928638
Nope, I'm paid US$1,04/hour. Buying a US$2 cable costs more than fixing the one I already have. It's fucking 2 hours!!!
>>
>>928642
If you're that concerned about the environment why are you using the electricity needed for that phone cable and for your computer that you're using to shit post.
>>
>>928649
My electricity is 100% renewable.
>>
>>928651
No it's not. If you can't afford a new telephone cable then you can't afford whatever you're about to claim to be using to power a computer.
>>
>>928655
It comes from government hydroplants. Quite common here.
>>
>>928641
Maybe some other chemical? Acetone wrecks some kinds of plastic.
>>
Sweet Jesus. The cable you have is made from a shitty plastic that is turning to gum over time, probably from exposure to air.

You can clean that mess off and wait for it to happen again or you can just buy a new cord. Not everything is feasible/economical to repair or reuse.

Speaking of which, what are you doing about all the isopropanol you're using and the gummed up rags/paper towels you end up with?
>>
>>928659
>The cable you have is made from a shitty plastic that is turning to gum over time, probably from exposure to air.
Or maybe the previous owners just used >>928658

>what are you doing about all the isopropanol you're using and the gummed up rags/paper towels you end up with?
I returned the rags to the owner of it, suggesting wash, but don't know what she reeally did. (I do not own rags.) Want that I ask she?
>>
Since I can now tell you are the jewest of any jew that has been, or ever will be.....

Yes you can strip off gummy cum covered wire and strip it down to the insulated wires. If the individual wires are not insulated then you will need trip cover them with something... And no you can't use dirt...

Have fun with your gummy individual wires OP.
>>
If it's a telephone data cable more than 2 years old the copper has probably all broken into little short strands anyway, which will be fucking with the data transmission.

Seriously, copper cables don't last forever, consumer grade shit breaks down faster than anything else (Supplier grade stuff lasts longer, sometimes decades, but it also gets renewed a lot because cunts keep thieving it). Seriously, shitty plastic breaking down aside, it's a shit cable, throw it away, save up a few weeks and buy a new one. If you're really concerned for the environment, strip the plastic off, save the copper for recycling, and put the plastic in the correct waste bin for wherever you live.

One of the biggest issues Internet providers run into when 'supporting' customers is the insistence on a certain brand of customer on using supermarket bought telephone extension cables so they can have the modem in a more convenient place. (Those cables are FINE for voice/analogue signals like 'phones btw, they DO serve a purpose, just not the one people invariably put them to)

And it works GREAT. For about 6 months. Then the copper degrades (because it's shit tier), and the internet goes to shit along with it, and some poor wanker in India is getting screamed at because Fatfuck McNeckbeard can't access /d/ anymore.
>>
>>928661
This has to be a joke. So if I understand, it's not even your cable, or if it is, it is a cable you acquired from someone else. You cleaned this cable with alcohol and some rags, then gave these rags back to the owner/previous owner of the cable and told them to wash them.

All for a phone cable.

And you suggest that someone cleaned it previously and messed it up? Pretty sure you're the only person worried about rejuvenating a standard phone cable. Yes it's a shame to go to waste, but what of the value of your time/any materials used in the recovery of that beat cable?
>>
>>928632
Because then you have individual fucking wires that were not meant to be taken out of their multiconductor jacket.
You notice any shielding on your fucking wires? Nope because the god damn twist is the shielding. If you remove the jacket without damaging the individual jackets (which will be a monumental task if its the type of wire im thinking of) , the fuckers will get untwisted. Your signal will goto shit.
The wires will probably be sticky too.
Then you have the whole issue of that jacket isn't made to withstand shit. It'll rip and strip at the slightest touch.

So then lets say you fucking plastidip the whole bastard.
You've just spent god knows how much time and money nigger rigging this shit instead of buying a new fucking $2 cable.
Oh but you saved the environment! Aside from the fact you are throwing away almost the exact same amount of trash and you've been driving around doing this shit.

Now I know this is a troll thread, you can't possibly be this fucking much of a yuropoor, but I can't help myself.
>>
>>928667
The individual wires's insulator does not appears to be gummy. I will proceed.
>>
>>928604
What's happening is that the chemicals that make the PVC soft is diffusing out of it. It has probably already made it into the internal insulation already. All you can do is replace the cable or cover the entire thing in heatshrink tubing. Eventually the heat shrink will soften up and become sticky as well. I advise you to get rid of the cable. The chemicals that are diffusing out can also fuck up other nearby plastics.
>>
>>928801
Hm... Do you know which chemicals are these? I'm interested in reading about them.
>>
>>928514
There is good PVC insulation, or PVC insulation is necessarily bad?
>>
>>928613
hoarder confirmed
>>
>>928814
Nope, I do not store useless things in enormous quantity, I just want to reuse useful thins I already have the maximum I can.
>>
File: Two wires I got.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Two wires I got.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
>>928798
Done, removed the transparent gummy insulator. Did the mistake to try to remove big patches, and this led to rupture. I lost 10cm. But overall, I got the wires. They do not appears to be gummy, just had some sticky material from the transparent layer over them; I removed with isopropilic alcohol. I plan to crimp and test.
>>
>>928821
Hoarder confirmed.
>>
>>928826

>>928818
>>
>>928658
I asked the daughter of the previous owners and she said they did not used acetone.
>>
>>928671
Citation needed on the process of "copper" breaking down with electrical signals.
>>
>>928837
No that just means you're too poor to officially hoard.
I guess that does only make you a future hoarder.
>>
>>928511
urethane rots away. i bet it smells bad too
u can keep cleaning it but it will continue to rot
throw that shit away
>>
File: Work done!.jpg (2MB, 3664x2748px) Image search: [Google]
Work done!.jpg
2MB, 3664x2748px
Sucess!
I tagged one of the wires with a "X" in the two ends (to know which is which, because they are of the same color), and then twisted them. Pasted them with paper adesive tape, to make sue they don't un-twist. Made several turns of this tape near the ends, so it acts like a cable rubber and gets the pressure from the crimping. Crimped, and it works perfectly! Ready for another 30~40 years of use!!!

I will continue to visit this thread, however, because I need to clarify some thing yet.
>>
This was one of the weirdest threads here in a while.

Nice troll OP, got quite a following with your interesting topic!
>>
>>929052
I'm not troll. I simply chose living with less.
>>
>>928671
>If it's a telephone data cable more than 2 years old the copper has probably all broken into little short strands anyway, which will be fucking with the data transmission.

This cable is going to be used for voice only. Anyways, the cable hasn't 2 years only, it haves 30~40 years of use. Like I said here: >>928890
>>
>>928688
It's not a joke. This cable was from my grandmother, than her daughter inherited it, and, because she doesn't have repairing habilities, she gave it to me - it was full of oxidation on the connectors, that's because it was inside a cardboard box instead of being used.

The rags are from my mother. I have nothing that can be turned into rags, except for a old ripped jeans pants, but I will turn it into shorts and store the cut fabric pieces to repair another pants I have. It's not needing repair right now, but it will need soon, as it was bought at the same year, 2007 if I remeber correctly.
>>
>>928511
ITT: Yuropoors at their best.

This thread has been the best in a while.
>>
>>929163
>implying I'm from first-world
Man, I inherited a 30~40 year old, gummy and oxidated 1~2 meters telephone cable from my grandmother, and needed to repair it because I'm too poor to buy a new one. I can't live in Europe! The cost of living there is many times higher than here!!
>>
>>928640
>you strike me as
I have not attacked you.
>>
>>928511
Buy better cables
>>
File: bleargh.gif (705KB, 176x169px) Image search: [Google]
bleargh.gif
705KB, 176x169px
>decaying pvc
>>
>>928703
>the fuckers will get untwisted

Nope, they were not twisted, they were flat. But don't worry, I twisted them, because I'm very smart: >>928890
>>
>>928703
>and you've been driving around doing this shit
Driving? I do not drive cars. I have only a bike.

>Now I know this is a troll thread, you can't possibly be this fucking much of a yuropoor, but I can't help myself.
It's not troll. And I'm not from Europe.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.