[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steep roof on top of low pitch roof

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: 2016-01-10 21.47.12.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-10 21.47.12.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
I don't know if many housebuilding type people are one here much but I'd kinda like an opinion on something, do ya'll think a small A-frame second story would look good on a 4:12 roof? I was never happy with this roof pitch, and the damn place is too small already.
>>
Expensive way to get a small amount of shitty space.
>>
>>928283
But it's kinda the only way, all exterior walls have the (also expensive) siding up; an a-frame could be put directly on top of the existing roof so nothing would be wasted unlike if I tore off a wall of siding or a whole room.but all that being said I'm open to all ideas
>>
>>928286
It's not hard to remove siding remove plywood and build more on it
Especially if installed right you should be able to reuse alot of it
>>
>>928276
You'd be placing the weight of all that extra roof on a section of possibly unsupported roof. Are there some interior walls under those sections where the bottom of the "A" meets the current roof?
>>
Why don't you just build a shed?
>>
>Build a hipster tiny house
>realise it too small for all my skinny jeans, leather bound journals and beard trimming kits.
>>
>>928399
His house is a shed.

House prices are going to crash this year.
so anyone looking to build their tiny dream home, wait, save and just get on the property ladder instead.
>>
File: 1452481572749.jpg (667KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1452481572749.jpg
667KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: 20141230_173344.jpg (651KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20141230_173344.jpg
651KB, 2048x1152px
>>928337
Could I build it on top of trusses or would it have to be built up off the top wall plate?
>>
>>928435
That tree doesn't lean over the place as much as it looks like from this picture but I do plan to have it cut down.
>>
Take off the roof and build a second story on top of existing walls then put roof back on top of new walls.
>>
File: woodenhome.jpg (539KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
woodenhome.jpg
539KB, 1920x1080px
>>928585
Thats what I was thinking
>>
>>928435
The tree isn't leaning. The house is just on a slope and the camera is tilted to make the house look level.
>>
>>928517
No, don't build on top of the trusses. You need to have proper engineering and design to support all the added weight. Remember, the original roof is only built so it can carry whatever weight/force is applied to it, like a snow load for instance or hard wind. Building something like in the OP on top of that means all that added weight is added to the weight/forces that will already be hammering it. You also have to include the weight of whatever you will be filling that new space with.

So, no, you need to add proper supports for this. Don't half ass it or this time next year it may very well be coming down.
>>
>That feeling when you forgot to add any doors
>>
Are you going to have exterior stairs to get to the second floor, or have to take up more first floor room to have interior stairs?

Do you have any way to reliably carry the point load of the two A-frame walls all the way to solid footing without, again taking away first story area?

Are your trusses engineered to accommodate building bullshit on top of it? (Answer is no...already been said but just seconding that point)

Im with the add a second story on top of existing walls idea. You have metal roofing and scissor trusses so it wouldnt be impossible to save it all and reuse it to finish the roof again once the second story is build. Spend the money to build another floor system and four walls and not to rebuild the entire thing when your trusses collapse from dead load of your A-frame idea.
>>
File: 1452481572749.jpg (393KB, 1679x784px) Image search: [Google]
1452481572749.jpg
393KB, 1679x784px
>>928738
seeing that makes living in that shack considerable more appealing.
>>
>>929297
that pic is breaking my brain
>>
>>928276
Fuck that. It would look awful

Do a steeple instead, with a perimeter deck you can walk out on. It would look like a wizard hut and everyone would be afraid to fuck with you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steeple
>>
>>928435
Thanks for pointing out really well exactly what I was going to say.

Op, judging by the lean on that and a number of other nearby trees in your picture, I'd be way more worried about slope movement than whether you have enough space.
>>
File: Someday.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Someday.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
You'll get there someday OP
>>
OP, why not an A-frame style that extends to the eaves on the left, and the point where the roof changes pitch on the right?

Seems like you;d have an easier time roofing (water, valleys, flashing etc) and the wall on the left would be strong enough. You;d just have to make sure your wall on the right was strong enough- maybe sister up a few studs.

Alternatively, you could bury a shipping container out front...
>>
Guys, quit posting. OP has died long ago from either a mudslide or that tree falling on him.
RIP in piece.
>>
>>930419
This thread is freaking hilarious.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.