[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I come to you with a vocabulary question and a terrible illustration.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: spring-thing.png (12KB, 886x485px) Image search: [Google]
spring-thing.png
12KB, 886x485px
I come to you with a vocabulary question and a terrible illustration.

I am looking for something much like a pogo stick, but a great deal shorter, perhaps four to eight inches. You could also consider it a shock absorber, but I thought those were hydraulic. It would need fasteners on each end, plus some mechanism to keep it together.

They'd come with a variety of spring constants so I could Hooke's Law out how far it would move under a given force.

Does this thing exist, and if so, what is it called?
>>
I guess that'd just be called a spring. A spring and a shock absorber are two fundamentally different things. A spring reacts with a force proportional to how it is compressed or tensed. A shock absorber reacts with a force proportional to the speed with wich its end is displaced.

Why do you need to encase the spring in these cylinders?
Depending on the forces involved you could use pvc pipe or perhaps get a telescopic fork from a crashed motorcycle. When bent the fork tubes are basically scrap metal, but they're usually bent within the top 6 inches or so. If you cut out a section where the two pipes have a sliding joint you'd have what you want and it would bear great radial loads too.
>>
>>928244
Encasing the spring in the cylinders ensures motion parallel to the spring's axis.

I figure someone just had these sorts of things already made but I guess not.
>>
>>928261
Toilet paper roll holder
>>
>>928274
Yeah, do they have some more industrial versions of these, without hydraulics?
>>
>>928219
A shock absorber is a combination of a spring and a dashpot, you could get one with an external spring and drill a hole in the dashpot to drain the oil.

What are you trying to do with it? You can get pneumatic cylinders with springs in them which are very similar to what you are looking for.
>>
>>928261
Wouldn't it be easier to have a separate structure constrain whatever motion to that one axis and the spring do the spring part? That way you could just buy some rods and sliders like they use to build homemade CNC mills.

If you absolutely have to, maybe look into gas springs (think cars and cupboards)? AFAIK they're not built to bear any significant radial load, but we still have no idea what you're building.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.