[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've got this magnetron here. Is the white ceramic part

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0218.jpg (415KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0218.jpg
415KB, 540x720px
I've got this magnetron here. Is the white ceramic part aluminum oxide or beryllium oxide?

I've tried google, but everything I find says beryllium, I have a hard time believing this though. Why would it be beryllium oxide when aluminum oxide would be cheaper?

Anyway, just looking for a second opinion.
>>
If it is beryllium I suggest you not directly touch it. BeO is pretty toxic, although you shouldn't have any problems unless some material is scraped off and you inhale the dust.
>>
what makes a magnetron dangerous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGZsGN8PzU4
>>
>>928062
It's quite toxic if you breath it in, don't shadier it. It's used because of its electrical and electro magnetic properties
>>
>>928062
Try spraying it with water.
>>
>>928085
why, what would that do?
>>
Is there anyway to tell the difference between BeO and AlO?
>>
>>928092
>>928062
The pink ones are beryllium. Still, if you crush, cut, or break an of these, don't breath the dust just to be safe. If you need to break it up, do so while it is wet. Like under a stream of water or even under a wet towel. This will cut down on dust. Do this outside while wearing a respirator.
>>
>>928081
*shatter
>>
>>928079
does that mean that grinded to powder and put together with explosive you got a dirty bomb for cheap?

I mean not radiactive but still youre fucked?
>>
>>928101

sure, if you can wait a decade for your enemy to get sick.
>>
>>928062
>Why would it be beryllium oxide when aluminum oxide would be cheaper?
Because it's much better material for that purpose. Also, the total cost of the feedthrough depends on many things, not just on raw material price.
>>
>>928101
The same thing can be done with tons of other household materials. Remember asbestos? Wrecking the human body is pretty easy.
>>
>>928101
Back when we carried Mk 28 hydrogen bombs on B52 bombers regularly, once and awhile there would be a crash with the bombs loaded onboard.

They never detonated, although some had their high explosives explode. The cores of the hydrogen bombs contained a sphere of beryllium to reflect neutrons back into the fissile material.

When the bombs would have a partial detonation of the HE, the beryllium core would shatter. Beryllium dust would be spread across a large area downwind, which would sit for years as an environmental toxin. Lots of USAF and SAC personnel, and even civilians unfortunate enough to be downwind or come close to contaminated areas, contracted Berylliosis later in life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_Palomares_B-52_crash
>>
File: berylium.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
berylium.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
Hi,

The ring is ceramic (ie AlO2, or something similar).
The berilium is inside. It looks like metal (it IS metal) it is neither white nor pink (but ceramic may be also pink), I have seen some at cern, used as beam pipe.
And yeah, it is fucking toxic if inhalated.
>>
>>928190
Very interesting to know, thanks anon.
>>
>>928115
Japan's been waiting for that to happen to murrica since the 40s and it finally happening
>>
File: g1megatron-flail.jpg (37KB, 469x320px) Image search: [Google]
g1megatron-flail.jpg
37KB, 469x320px
>>928062

this is a troll thread. thats not magnetron, its a old 80s style hard drive

pic related, THIS IS magnetron!
>>
>>928665
that's autismus prime you dumb fucking cunt.
>>
>>928096
German wiki says pink is not beryllium but whatever I wouldn't play the beriliumlotery
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.