[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make an air filter using water as the filtration medium.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (639KB, 1329x1230px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
639KB, 1329x1230px
I want to make an air filter using water as the filtration medium. I was going to try making a small prototype before making something bigger, so I was thinking of using a 2 gallon bucket and some acrylic tubing. Would a cpu fan be powerful enough to push a column of air down through a tube through the center of the bucket and into the water? I was thinking of a 1-1.5 inch tube.
>>
>>927893
Also, what would be a good power supply for the fan? I have some spare phone chargers, but they either have too low voltage output, or too low/high amperage output. For a typical cpu fan that wants 0.5, 0.7, or 1.0 amps, how many amps would be too much to power it?
>>
>>927893
There is no way a cpu fan can do it.
>>
File: spiral.jpg (251KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
spiral.jpg
251KB, 600x600px
>>927893
the humidity will drastically increase in your room as water will act as a humidifier.
also a CPU fan will never be powerful enough, it has design flaws that makes it incompatible with pressure difference.
i'm not sure but maybe use pic related ?
you'll also need an air stone to make the bubbles smaller.
I'm thinking of making an electrostatic precipitator, maybe it would be a good alternative for you too.
>>
What about a small squirrel cage fan from a standard air filter, or a fan from the side by side window units? Both are about 6-7 inches in diameter.
>>
for test purposes, you can use a hand-held vacuum cleaner and an adapter made from duct tape.

as for power, two points: (1) you can put various phone chargers in series to increase voltage from 5 to 10 to 15 etc. (2) as for amperage rating, there is no such thing as too high. if you hook up a load that takes 0.1A at 5V, it doesnt matter if the supply can put out 10A, it'll still only take 0.1A coz it's the load that determines current.
>>
>>927895
find a powersupply with a rated current output GREATER than the current DRAW of the fan. The fan will only take the listed DRAW, not the maximum that the powersupply can OUTPUT.
>>
>>927893
No, you'll need something like a shopvac.
>>
This whole concept is stupid.

Bongs are filled with water and I still get high as fuck. Proof the concept doesn't work.
>>
>>927932
Regardless of your power supply that fan won't even break surface tension.
>>
What are you trying to filter out?
>>
>>927893
>I want to make an air filter using water as the filtration medium.
A-are you me?
>>
>>927893
Assuming you'd actually manage to make this work, you'd eventually make yourself violently ill, probably with some form of pneumonia, as you'd be depositing bacteria, mold and fungal spores, virii, and whatever else is alive in the air into the water, which would rapidly become a wonderful breeding ground for them; you might even contract legionella, which is not Amateur Night shit to get sick with. Give up and use a dry air filter instead.
>>
>>927977
>>928043
The end goal is to connect a larger version (5 gallon bucket-sized) in series with my dust separator that I used with my shop vac. It does great at separating sawdust, but not drywall dust or silica dust. I figured if I put a water filer after the separator, I might catch more of the fine dust. The water would be replaced probably once every 2-3 times of moderate or heavier use.
>>
>>928043
put a good uv lamp inside it.
they make them for pond filters
dont look at it though unless you like going blind
>>
>>927893
>I want to make an air filter using water as the filtration medium.
It's how Rainbow vacuum cleaners do it.
This works well for getting solid stuff out of the air, but it has a downside in that it puts a HUGE amount of humidity into the air as well. That tends to cause mold growth. So it is okay for something that will only get used occasionally, but it won't work for leaving it running all the time.

Do note: Rainbows have this oil you put in the water before beginning. The oil is scented but the main purpose of the oil is to allow the finer dust to stick to the surface of the water, which it normally will not do. You can do the same thing just by putting a drop or two of dishwashing detergent into the water of your home-made version.

Rainbows are nice but expensive. I have a little shop vac I modified to do this ages ago; it picks up huge amounts of stuff in the water even when the floors look clean. The only downside is that you must fill it with water before use, and empty it after and leave then the top off to let it dry out, or stinky mold grows in it. I use the 'wet' filter and a lot of junk sticks to that as well, but then, I built this thing quick and cheap at the time. And I've never re-done it, since it does pretty well as it is.

>Would a cpu fan be powerful enough to push a column of air down through a tube through the center of the bucket and into the water?
You don't need to bubble the air *through* the water; just blowing the column at the surface of the water will still get a lot of stuff (-if you add a couple drops of soap to the water). But,,,, cheapo shop vacs only cost like $30 tho.
>>
>>927954
Use a bong without water and tell me how that works for you.
>>
>>928132
Erm, that's a thing and it's called a "steamroller".
>>
>>927948
there exists a shopvac type machine that uses water as a filter
i dont remember the name tho
i didnt see water shooting out the side so it should be possible
>>
File: 1416246749874.jpg (826KB, 3186x3122px) Image search: [Google]
1416246749874.jpg
826KB, 3186x3122px
>>
>>928106
>It does great at separating sawdust, but not drywall dust or silica dust.
That's because those are very lightweight powders. They will collect in a paper filter if the porosity rating is low enough.
>>
>>929391
looks good desu
>>
>>929391
would this actually work?

what is it? 2 pieces of triangular cardboard taped to the top/bottom of the fan and then masking tape across the edges?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.