So I have this spool of 12 ga pure copper, very high quality speaker wire that I purchased more than a decade ago, back when copper was pretty cheap.
Can I use two pairs of these wires, encase them in some sort of sheathing, and terminate them with a plug and socket myself? The only thing holding me back are possible code violations and how insurance might react if there's a fire somewhere in the house. Though I'm sure that if I were to make this, it would be as perfectly safe as any other extension cord you can buy. I just want to stay by the book, just in case there's a retarded rule against using this sort of insulation in this speaker wire as an a/c mains cable or something.
>how insurance might react
Don't worry anon, because you'll be dead.
Have you ever felt old speaker wire after it's been sitting on the floor of a living room for a decade? I wouldn't trust that shit.
Depending on your carrier, you'll likely be covered as most policies cover general stupidity.
Enjoy it going on your claims history that a homeowner generally makes poor decisions like using speaker wire instead of wire designed to carry 120volts.
>your permanent record!
Yeah thats what it is, and its how actuaries set rates to insure your historically dumb ass.
Then, if you ever sold the place you'd have to upgrade it to code if it were installed to the house.
tl;dr don't be a dumbass, use speaker wire for speakers, and extension cords for extensions.
>Can't tell if troll
No, it is designed for low voltage applications. It has no ground and unsafe insulation. It is against code. Plus if it is quality speaker wire, it's worth more than what proper NM wire would cost. Just buy some proper wire if you need it. Don't ever skimp with electricity.
Yes, I'd trust it for low current applications.
But should you? No.
>I've nigger rigged a battery to a cut battery cable with some speaker wire. But the cable was glowing red. Got me home though.
you could make an extension lead out of it, who is going to stop you? i wouldn't put it in your walls or anything or leave it unattended at any time.
the only real difference is that the insulation wont be rater or approved for mains voltage so it could be dangerous or hazardous under some strange fault condition or something that probably won't happen ever. i doubt it would be thin enough to give you a shock under normal conditions.
another point is you don't know what the insulation is made out of, current generates heat and a 12ga cable running at maximum capacity will produce some amount of heat, you have no idea how this will affect the insulation.
finally as high grade audio cable (meaning it looks shiny) its probably worth a lot more than bog standard mains flex. depending on where you but it of course.
I have seen doorbell wire powering a fridge freezer. nobody died but that doesn't mean it was a good idea.
OP it should be able to handle about 14 amps
Having said that unless you want to power your stove or heating elements off it you should be fine since most fuses in your home are 8 amps (not the stove and boiler ones they are 16)
I'm from Europe so this could all be wrong for your DC powered household.
The insulation should be fine, if it's decent quality 20 years ago it should be wrapped in a thick layer of silicone. Witch is better than most extension cords the Chinese will sell you. I wouldn't put it in to walls tho, as it may have a pretty big voltage by the time it hits the outlet.
>tfw I drove 200+ miles in someone else's car with out a battery at all
We couldn't even use the radio or turn signals/brake lights or everything would start to shut down. We had to use hand signals to turn and gearing to slow down for a stop. Fun times.