[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ADSL filter tester

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

File: 7140.original.TD-S201A_0.jpg (38KB, 400x289px) Image search: [Google]
7140.original.TD-S201A_0.jpg
38KB, 400x289px
Hello. I would like to build an ADSL filter tester, so the result of the test is much more precise than simply disconnecting all ADSL filters in the place and hearing for modem noise in one of them. But I could not find projects in electronic sites...
>>
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/telecom/adsl_filter.html

Pretty sure my meter tests 172khz for loss for adsl2 dslam tests.

If youre a pro you should probably get a jdsu combination meter that can do all this. It will make everything better and your repeats will go to zero.

If you're just diying and playing around use an oscilloscope across a 600ohm resistor or something.
>>
>>927447
Appears that this text doesn't teaches how to build a filter tester, only explains what is a filter. Am I wrong?
>>
>>927447
>Voice calls operate between 300Hz and 3.4KHz, and include also DC power (0-72V DC at on-hook condition, typically 0-60 mA current and lower voltage at on-hook) and rign voltage (typically 40-80 V AC at 20-25 Hz freuquency).
Is this actual? I though this difference in ringing was eliminated with the telephones with internal ringing circuits. This is true worldwide?
>>
>>927433
>disconnecting all ADSL filters in the place

Seriously just install one at the point of entry that filters the entire house. Running multiple filters on each outlet is ghetto tier.
>>
>>927480
> I though this difference in ringing was eliminated with the telephones with internal ringing circuits.

dude, you cant just change a standard at will and have millions of people with old phones being forced to replace them. not to mention faxes, modems, answering machines, and security systems.
>>
>>927524
If I install this at the entrance, the modem will not have the possibility to connect.
>>
>>927433
you need some kind of function generator and some measurement device like an oscilloscope
or build something equivalent
look up passive filters in any electronics textbook to find out about orders, rolloffs and corner frequencies to understand how to test a filter
or a dedicated tester

>>927480
how do you think ringing works?
the ring signal has to be on the line
the ring circuit used to be a function of the demarcation equipment and you had to run a ring wire to each phone. new equipment has each their own detection circuit but the signal is still on the ab wire pair. what exactly do you mean?

>>927604
adsl modem should be as close to the entrance of the phoneline as possible anyway, consider moving your modem if possible. thats why your here isnt it? because your service is shitty? and you blame filters?
>>
>>927617
>the ring signal has to be on the line
It's obvious that a signal is needed, what i tried to mean was that the ringing signal isn't like any normal signal, the voltage is different, and it's AC instead of DC...
>>
>>927480
The high ring power is still available, even though most phones don't use it anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number
You seem to be thinking about the REN.

This says 5 is standard but I'm certain I've seen 7 or 11 for some big old systems like a SLC96

>>927604
You isolate one pair of wires or one cable that goes to the jack where you want the modem and put that on the 'data' end of the splitter, then put the rest of the house behind the filtered side.

You could also call the phone company and they'll come out and do it for you, and might do it for free, or for the cost of one jack since it's just rewiring an existing jack.
>>
>>927617
>thats why your here isnt it? because your service is shitty? and you blame filters?

Nope, my service is OK. But I have many filters that I tagged as "not working" in the older house, but found that the problem was moisture on the wires and consequently "oxidation" and then that they actually work fine in the new house. So I think a more precise method of testing would be better.
>>
>>928038
Take a good filter and jack and phone. Sit there. Change the filter to a bad one. Watch your DSL modems SNR in the advanced status page.
Check all your filters. Bin the ones and cut the tails off the bad ones.

You very well may not have any bad ones.
>>
>>927617
>ab wire pair
In Google I could not find what is a "ab wire". Can you please tell me what is AB?
>>
>>928050
over here its what we call the service wires.
you have two wires come into your house from the phone company per line. one of the wires is 'A', one of the wires is 'B'. The terminals on the demarcation point where the wires become your property are marked 'A' and 'B' but really it doesn't make much of a difference which way around they go but some old equipment it did make a difference.
>>
>>928038
Is your time really worth that little?

Throw them all in the bin and get a $10 filter for the master socket.
>>
>>927447
>An ADSL filter is normally a small plastic box with a short lead that plugs into your phone socket and two outputs, one for your ADSL Modem and another for a telephone. Some filters have only one telephone output in them. ADSL filter select the band of frequencies for each of the outputs, phone or ADSL, and send just the correct band to the appropriate socket. The phone output gets only telephone frequencies (from DC to 3.4 kHz) and the ADSL output gets the higher freuquencies well (above 25 kHz).

It's frequent that I use filters that have only one output. In there cases, the modem gets both frequencies, right? How does it deal with it?I could not find this information on Google.
>>
>>928155
It just ignores them.

So long as the phones all have filters that stop high-frequencies from getting onto the line, it's not a problem.
>>
>>927524
>Running multiple filters on each outlet is ghetto tier.
Thanks for the advice. I saw this tip on the text >>927447 posted, and will consider. The problem is, the house was planned so the router and the modem are in my bedroom/office, which isn't in the entrance of the wires. I can't see how could I change this without needing to remake all the telephone wiring in the house.
>>
>>927447
>LC low-pass filter
What is LC, low-current?
>>
>>928164
Quality whole-house filters have IDC connectors for both sides, so all you'd have to do is run one cat4 from the master socket to the router, and then punch it down into the router's phone socket and the filter's "ADSL" IDC.

Hell, if your router's extension socket goes directly to the master socket, you won't even need to run anything: just move that one cable.
>>
>>928170
Inductor-Capacitor.

>It is customary to use the symbol L for inductance, in honour of the physicist Heinrich Lenz.
-- Wikipedia
>>
>>928111
Actually I'm paid US$50/month. But I'm not being paid for half-year, because the government has cut budget. So one filter costing US$10 is almost equal of 10 hours of my work. Consider that I have a little more than 10 filters, so if all of them work, I can save 100 hours of work. It's more than 8 months of work!
>>
>>928158
OK, I found this information on the text >>927447 posted:

>The ADSL output from filter (if it has such thing) is generally unfiltered line signal (normal home ADSL devices are not to be bothered with line voltage and voice signals.
>>
>>928230
You could also work for amazon Turk or something, shiit
>>
>>928278
>US$0.01/h
Nope!
>>
>>927674
I had never heard of REN before. I will check the manuals of my telephones to sum this up. And probably contact my operator company to know which is their limit.

What does the telephones do when they don't uses the power provided by the company? They can't just return it, do they turn it into heat?
>>
>>928333
It's like any other electric device. It only pulls as much current as dictated by the device's electronics.

A single 'ringer' dates back to the original specs from the Bell System for the size of the bells and fingers on the phone, back when it was literally a bell. So you could have 5 of those classic phones connected to a modern phone line.

Modern phones are actually much less, like .1 or .2 REN, and that's mostly shit like the display.
>>
>>928305
But you're already quite happy to work for $0.31 per hour?

Have you considered mickey-d's?
>>
>>927447
>>927617
I don't have an oscilloscope.
>>
>>928172
>IDC
Insulation-Displacement Connector?
I don't have this here right now. My filters have RJ11 connectors, and some also a specific type of connection of my country.
How are these IDC telephone connectors? I need to know, to consider buying.
>>
>>928516
The idc is in the telco demarc box. Or maybe in the jack. I've seen some that are 66 110 or krone punchdowns in the jack. You still have an rj11 you plug the phone into.
>>
>>928561
I never saw a "telco demarc box". The wires simply come from the post, get into the wall and are winded with the house's wires in a certain place outdoor.
>>
>>927447
>Pretty sure my meter tests 172khz for loss for adsl2 dslam tests.
What is your "meter"? What-meter?
>>
>>928567
There is a gas discharge lightning arrestor that the wires git before going I side your house. If you call in, that's where the tech will install the fancy idc connector. They are like $20 and you are a super Jew so don't even worry about it
>>928567

My everything meter. Fluke Copperpro 990 dsl+ I cant verify what frequency it tests because it only shows it when it sees a DSL signal. I also don't really give a shit helping this guy that much. He's probably the same guy that can't figure out how to save money by cleaning decomposed plastic off his old line cord>>928567
>>
>>928567

Well that is ghetto as fuck.

Op, do yourself a favour, save yourself alot of effort and just fit an nte with an adsl faceplate. Then just run a cable to where your phone is and a data extension off of the adsl faceplate to the modem.
Its the best way.
May not clear all your errors but it will eliminate any house problems without pissing about with goddamn shitty microfilters.
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 371x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 371x400px
>>928710
It's stuff like this that makes me appreciate Bong Telecom, whose NTE is mandated by law to be indoors and standardised.
>>
>>928681
I will check with the owner of the house if there's something to prevent lightning from getting inside from the telephone cables. I do not remember of this component.
>>
>>927447
>It will make everything better and your repeats will go to zero.
What do you mean by "repeats"? Doing the same test over and over because the result is not reliable?
>>
>>928844
It's a metric for professionals. If you fix a guys phone or tv and it goes out again in 4 weeks because you didn't really fix it, that is a repeat.

If you have a good meter it makes it much easier to find what the trouble actually is.
>>
>>927617
>you need some kind of function generator and some measurement device like an oscilloscope
>or build something equivalent

I saw this, but it generates at maximum 6KHz and I would need at least 25KHz, up to 1MHz, according to >>927447 .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As5Izw4l2ls
>>
>>928800
OK, I asked the owner of the house today and he said there is no such equipment.
>>
>>927617
>adsl modem should be as close to the entrance of the phoneline as possible anyway, consider moving your modem if possible.
It's going to be on my bedroom, second floor. The wires get into the house by the room directly below it. But there is nothing to plug the filter there. Just a wall and cables passing by.
>>
>>929277

Here in britbong land the sockets used to have a resistor that would blow in a lightning strike. No longer used though as they caused broadband issues.

And as said, modem closest to the first socket, preferably in the first socket.

How I explain it to people is think of your phone line as a hosepipe, broadband is the water. The more connections you have on this hosepipe (sockets) the less pressure goes to each connection. If you have 5 extensions then signal is going to be degraded and a much higher likelyhood of errors because some of the signal is being sent other places.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.