[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Night shift woes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20160110_033344~01~01.jpg (386KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160110_033344~01~01.jpg
386KB, 1440x1920px
I work night shift which means I need to sleep during the day, problem is there's too much light in my bedroom, even with the curtains closed. The curtain rods are about 3" away from the window frame and I'm renting so I can't move them closer or install blackout blinds.

I'm not just going to put foil over the windows as I don't live in the ghetto, so I had a few ideas

1) sheets of white cardboard (cut to size) on the inside of the window glued to black cardboard to block light

2) rig up a frame to put a temporary curtain rod inside the window box

3) find a way to mount strips of fabric to cover the gaps at the top and side of the curtains

I'm working through some designs and the pros and cons of each but it'd be great if you could brainstorm with me to make sure I'm not being retarded about anything.
>>
>>927343
I bought floor length blackout curtains and put a towel in the air gap at the top. Then put dinder clips along the seam of the two panels. Then bunch the curtains up as best you can to the ends of the curtain rod to help keep the curtains pressed against the wall.

Barely any light gets into the room after that.
>>
>>927350
Also forgot. Many older drywall corner flashings are ferric steel instead of the modern aluminium ones. Get a magnet and see if it sticks to the corner of the window frame. If it does you can get some small neodymium disks to keep the curtain in place
>>
>>927352
Unfortunately it's aluminium.

I guess I could always bluetack some magnets inside the runner for the window, although that would limit how far I could open the window.
>>
File: IMG_20160110_065702~01.jpg (369KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160110_065702~01.jpg
369KB, 1440x1920px
>>
>>927343
They make spring loaded rods for the insight of window frames get them at a hardware store for a couple bucks
>>
>>927343
Get another job because working nights is really bad for you in the long term.
>>
>>927446
I'm painfully aware of that, but that's going to have to come once I finish my degree. At the moment I really need to have a job at this particular organisation so I can leverage my contacts here once I graduate, and night shift is all I can get without conflicting with my studies. Jobs in my industry are getting harder to come by and having contacts is going to be very important; even if I don't manage to get a graduate job at this organisation, having four years experience and glowing references on my resume is worth the grind IMO.

Only two years to go.
>>
>>927343
Aluminum foil has the best results. You could just buy big sheets of paper and tape them with frog or gaff tape.
>>
>>927735
I ended up using some corflute boards. Looks alright from the outside. Not like foil.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-10-03-43-57.png (494KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-10-03-43-57.png
494KB, 1080x1920px
Problem solved
>>
File: IMG_20160110_111935~01.jpg (309KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160110_111935~01.jpg
309KB, 1920x1440px
>>927814
>>
Learn from my mistake and don't put foil-backed cardboard mounted over the blinds on windows that get a lot of sun. Fucks up the blinds.
>>
>>927825
Nah, I used white corflute to reject heat backed with black cardboard to block bleed through.
>>
>>927833
If you're renting make sure your contract doesnt cover window coverings.

Most landlords who don't operate slums and care about the neighborhood have these provisions in the contract usually specifying white or neutral blinds or white backed drapes with no pattern visible from the street.

If it is in your contract be prepared for the owner to confront you about it, then give him your sob story about third shift work and see if he'll wave it, which he should if you're a good tenant with no history of problems
>>
>>927966
I'm not too worried, they look pretty much like blinds unless you look really carefully. If the landlord shows up I'll be fucking ecstatic since that means he's finally here to fix some of his electrical work.
>>
>>927966
>everything must look THE SAME
>You MAY NOT look different from your neighbors
>Attempting to do so may result in eviction

Why are some landlords such cunts? I'm glad I've never had the displeasure of renting from such a person before.
>>
>>927343
Don't live in the ghetto either, but foil works and is cheap. Don't over-think this anon
>>
>>928584
I've been specifically told not to use foil, but I agree, it works great. Used it at my old place.
>>
>>928590
>>928584
I reckon self-adhesive velcro round the edge of the actual glass, and then whatever opaque material you like velcro'd onto it would work.

When you move on, just pull the velcro off and clean up the mess with some kitchen roll and label remover.
>>
>>928601
OP here, I'll take some pics of the actual solution I went with when I get a chance. Basically it's some corflute boards cut to size so that they hold themselves in place against the window frames, backed with some black paper to block any bleedthrough.

Corflute has basically the same structure as cardboard used in cardboard boxes, but made out of plastic. That means it has air channels in it so it acts as insulation, and the outer surface is white to reflect light and looks kinda like a window blind mounted close to the window.

At the moment I'm experimenting with how to stop light from seeping around the edges, My first attempt was using black tape to make a kind of gasket around the edges of the board. Unfortunately the tape was visible from the outside, destroying the illusion that it was an ordinary window blind.

Next I'm going to try covering the black tape with white tape.

One of the big advantages of this design is that I can easily remove and remount the covers without applying tape to the walls.

It's actually JUST thin enough that I can open the windows with it mounted.

If I get all this working perfectly my next project will be working on my A/C system, finding ways to improve heat rejection and optimise ventilation.
>>
>>927427
This
>>
File: escape-luxury-travel-sleep-mask.jpg (13KB, 328x198px) Image search: [Google]
escape-luxury-travel-sleep-mask.jpg
13KB, 328x198px
>>928677
So, why exactly don't you just buy a sleep mask for like 2 bucks?
Boarding up your windows seems like the dumbest possible solution I can imagine.
>>
>>928924
Can't sleep with something on my face.
>>
>>928952
not>>928924
but if you can't do this, you might just have to face the fact that you're not cut out for shift work.
>>
>>927816
>>doesn't live in ghetto

mfw looks ghetto
>>
I'm the complete opposite to you OP, I can't sleep in total darkness I need a nightlight.
>>
>>928002
The answer to why is money. Houses that are different can cause fees from homeowner's association, so landlord would be on the hook for your fuckup of not following arbitrary rules. Same thing as not mowing lawn or leaving trash in it.
2, it's a warning sign for illegal sublet flophouses, which will just FUCK a house. 30 people using a toilet will kill the plumbing, mattresses on the floor, constant traffic on carpet, no one responsible for cleaning, etc. Also huge fine from fire marshal and associated with trafficking.
3rd is other tenants are driven away/complain, because sheeple feel uncomfortable around one who doesn't fit in.
4th is I guess it identifies your unit as nightowl unit for thieves? i'm not even sure if that's an issue given most thefts are daytime. Of course, that's because houses are empty for daytime, so...
>>
>>928952
If having a soft piece of fabric on your face bothers you this much, you may be legitimately autistic. Most sleep goggles are ridiculously lightweight and really barely noticable.

Also >>927816 looks retarded as fuck. Makes the windows look like there's some kind of serial rapist living inside. You are probably going to get into trouble with your landlord over this.

As an alternative, you could try constructing a sort tent over your bed.
It wouldn't be visible from the outside and your precious face won't have to endure the touch of soft fabric.
>>
>>929478
Meh, not like my landlord gives a fuck. He doesn't even care enough to fix his diy electrical wiring so the place doesn't burn down. I had an electrician inspect it and sent him the report... Six months ago.

He said he'd get right on it. Lol.
>>
>>928975
That's retarded. OP can just do what he's currently doing, block the window.
>>
>>929478
Depends how long your eyelashes are.

Mine are longer than my orbits, so they get poked by these masks every time my eyes move.

It's hard to sleep whilst being poked in both eyes.
>>
>>929478
This autism meme has gone too far
It must be stopped before it is too late
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.