[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pcb design help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: delete.png (151KB, 1063x563px) Image search: [Google]
delete.png
151KB, 1063x563px
I dove into a project and got about 75% through it before realizing I have no idea what I'm doing. The simple version is I need to design a small pcb with the following I/O:
- 3 logic level control signal inputs (whatever gauge, probably 22),
- 12V source (maybe. I could connect it directly to the 12V output wire) (18awg, up to 6A)
- ground (18awg, up to 6A)
- 12V output (14awg, up to 6A)
- 3 signal outputs (14awg, up to 2A each)

So what is the best way to connect each of these to the board? Something disconnectable would be ideal, soldering 14awg directly to a board just seems like a bad idea.
>>
>>927081
terminal blocks if you want to screw in wires and don't want connectors

http://www.digikey.com/en/resources/connectors/terminal-blocks

or rectangular connectors if you're never going to change the wires (buy mating pairs of board and wire connectors)

http://www.digikey.com/en/resources/connectors/rectangular-connectors
>>
>>927081
headers for logic input, screw terminals for power and output.
>>
Do I need to make any special considerations connecting the screw terminals to the board?
>>
>>927501
Larger traces and more space between traces. Also make sure the terminal block is physically secure enough. Some of them have a couple extra legs for soldering to the board.
>>
File: led pcb.jpg (242KB, 645x648px) Image search: [Google]
led pcb.jpg
242KB, 645x648px
Dropping by with a progress update. This is what I ended up with. IO1 and IO2 are AKZ500/2wp because that's what I could get ahold of quickly, and IN is just headers. Board's 1.4" square, the larger traces are 40mil and the thinner are 10mil. Any feedback would be welcome, I still don't really know what I'm doing lol
>>
there's absolutely nothing wrong with soldering external wiring to a PCB. it's the simplest, most reliable connection you can have. connectors will always end up failing due to metal fatigue, oxidation, stress, etc.

the only reason you see so many connectors in place today is coz of automated testing, which doesn't apply to small runs.
>>
>>928631

Having something disconnectable makes my life easier as well, I'm probably going to be moving a lot in the next few years (I already know I'm moving 3 times this year) and this is a lighting project so those screw connectors are attached to fairly long runs of wire
>>
Got them printed, they rounded down the bit size for the IO1 and IO2 holes and the pins don't fit -_- Can I just make them bigger with a file or a drill press or something, or do I need to print new boards?
>>
Speaker connectors - use them on many projects and sooooo easy.

PCB mounting, colour coded, paired connectors with easy mechanical connect/disconnect requiring no tools.
>>
>>929347

if you try to enlarge the hole, you'll destroy the feedthru, which may or may not be a problem. a better idea may be to grind the pins so they fit, using a file or small grinding wheel on a dremel.
>>
Pretty much got everything working today, I'd post pictures but my solder joints look terrible. I'll post one of the prettier ones when I do the other 4 tomorrow. Huge thanks to everyone who helped!
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.