[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello there. So i'm working on an autonomous hexapod and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 1424966132517.jpg (164KB, 620x849px) Image search: [Google]
1424966132517.jpg
164KB, 620x849px
Hello there.
So i'm working on an autonomous hexapod and I need a gps, an ultrasound or a camera and some module to ensure communication between the hexapod and the laptop.
I'm working using and arduino. I'd really appreciate your suggestions on the matter.
The cost plays a major role but I won't go too cheap
>>
>>926842
what size and what kind of distance are we talking about? i would think a raspberry pi is more suited in your case
>>
>>926853
The robot is small you can fit it in a box of 10X10X10 cm
for the distance I would say about 70 to 80 meters.
>>
>>926842
What kind of communication? Telemetry? Video? Commands? What interface are you using to connect to Arduino and laptop currently? Also what terrain? You could achieve everything with a simple 2.4GHz WIFI or RF link.
>>
>>926961
All of those
>>
>>926976
>All of those
OK anon, how many bottlecaps do you have? Because that ain't gonna be cheap.
>>
>>926981
Or, I should clarify, it could be cheap if you would allow your hands to get a bit dirty. And I seriously doubt Arduino has that kind of computing power to pull that off.
>>
>>926981
Well I have about 100$ but I'm not spending all of it on that because I still have other parts to purchase.
I'm wondering can I make the robot navigate an unknown terrain using ultrasound only ? or do I need a camera too.
My first thought was about specifying the end point using a GPS and then the robot has to find a way to get there.
>>
>>926984
Well the arduino won't do the computing at all. I think I'll use that module to transfer raw data to the computer where everything will be processed.
>>
>>926988
Well then that's a no-go, because you either process the data to transmit through a single, bi-directional interface (I'd suggest 2.4GHz wifi for this purpose), or you have to use several independent pre-made interfaces.
You could transmit the video separately and bother with the data only, which could actually work.
For that you would need all the sensors and a GPS unit for the Arduino, either a wireless camera (a small one could be had for some $30) or a normal camera and wireless transmitter modules. Then you'd need a wifi module for Arduino and a fair bit of programming to get it all working.
If you managed to tote around an actual wifi access point, you could have both the video and telemetry/commands transmitted via WIFI.
>>
>>926990
wifi will get a lot of interferences. I'm not sure it's a good idea.
>>
>>926991
There's that, but you wouldn't have to get any special HW on the laptop side. And in open terrain, with a reasonable antenna, wifi's gonna give you close to 100m.
You could also use something like 433MHz transceivers, but then you'd need to get the corresponding laptop-compatible part as well, and you still wouldn't be able to skip any of the programming.
>>
>>926992
True.
Another question.
would an ultrasound be enough to navigate an unknown terrain or should I also get a camera. and what's your recommendation on a cheap gps and camera modules.
>>
>>926993
Ultrasound is much, much, much simpler and cheaper. But it won't be 100% reliable in open terrain (it won't see smaller obstacles or wood/vegetation). Try to come up with a backup sensor (motor input? accelerometer? GPS) to sense your hexapod getting stuck.
If you aren't experienced in video processing and/or don't have a good library handy, don't even think of using a camera for autonomous navigation. It's only good for manual driving.
>>
>>926996
I'd backup the ultrasound with LIDAR, accelerometer and GPS input.
>>
>>926996
I'll include a gps because that's the only way to give the starting and end points to the robot.
For video processing I've never tried it but I don't mind getting my hands dirty
>>
>>927000
Steps to autonomous video navigation:
1) use google
2) get really, really scared
3) ???
4) fuggedaboutit
>>
>>926999
LIDAR is too expensive
>>
>>927003
Yes, a single unit is your whole budget, sorry. Ok then you have to get by with ultrasound (bats don't seem to mind at all:-))
>>
>>927006
any affordable cameras?
>>
>>927008
Try sourcing from China - http://www.dx.com/c/electrical-tools-499/arduino-scm-supplies-436/boards-shields-472
Either get a cheap Arduino-compatible one, and do the interface programming yourself (easy, you'll just be sending pics over wifi very quickly), or get a wifi camera for drones - like this one:
http://www.banggood.com/Syma-X5SW-X5SC-WiFi-2MP-Camera-p-987145.html There are probably some cheaper ones as well...
>>
>>927010
http://www.dx.com/s/arduino+camera
>>
>>927011
>>927010
thanks a lot :)
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.