[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a leaky faucet in the kitchen. I'm a software engineer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

File: fix-faucet-3.1-800x800.jpg (63KB, 375x242px) Image search: [Google]
fix-faucet-3.1-800x800.jpg
63KB, 375x242px
I have a leaky faucet in the kitchen. I'm a software engineer by trade, not a plumber. I've been reading up on things, and need three clarifications.

1. The "set screw" to remove the handle, to even get started, it stripped to oblivion. How the hell does someone remove this?

2. Is it enough to shut off the water using the shut-off valves under the sink? Or do I need to shut off the main water to the house? Why?

3. The two shut off valves under the sink are different sizes, and one is stripped too. I use a wrench to turn it, which works half the time. It's bullshit. I want to replace all this, but I need to understand if better technology exists. I've read that ball is better? That having a separate hot/cold knob is better too? Do rich people have to deal with these type of systems? How much would a complete system overhaul cost?
>>
>>926106
The set screw in faucets is normally hex/allen head. Are you sure its stripped? If so, screw extractor.

>Is it enough to shut off the water using the shut-off valves under the sink?

Yes.

> Or do I need to shut off the main water to the house?

No.

>Why?

Because water does not magically warp past shut offs when they are closed.

>one is stripped too.

You should replace it then. Replacing the shutoff under the sink will require you to turn off the main water supply or another shutoff further up the line (like at the water heater if its the hot water line).

>I need to understand if better technology exists

If you have the money, the technology exists.

> I've read that ball is better?

Ball valves are nice but not required. Its up tot you.

>That having a separate hot/cold knob is better too?

Its down to preference.

>Do rich people have to deal with these type of systems?

Rich people pay other people to deal with this shit. Those types of people are called "plumbers".

>How much would a complete system overhaul cost?

Depends. Call up all the local plumbers (at least 3), have them each come out and do an estimate then post the results here. We'll tell you which one is right.
Thread posts: 2
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.