[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Power source to draw on?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Hello mod masters

I'm going camping for 2 weeks but plan to do some computer work so I decided to bring my laptop along. there's going to be a lot of sun so I can use my solar charger to charge my laptop in between points, but I also need to use a 3 terabyte hard drive.

And herein lies my problem. Normal 1tb hard drives can draw off the laptops battery power via USB cable but the 3tb cannot do that entirely. I've checked the voltage on the drives and they require 12volts to function. However, I'm pretty sure its not that easy as simply hooking up a 12v portable source. I'm pretty sure something like a car battery would be out of the question lol

Any trick or tool I can use to make a 3tb hard drive function from a portable power source?
>>
>>926038
>I'm pretty sure its not that easy as simply hooking up a 12v portable source
are you really sure? ;^)
>>
How is it normally powered? Plug into the wall?
>>
3TB for camping seems a bit excessive, unless you're doing some major league video editing. usually I take out my HDD and use a Linux distro on a 16G thumb-drive, along with a few gigs of pron, and that keeps me occupied for a couple of weeks.
>>
Its normally powered by two prong plug at 120volts

Probably should have mentioned that
>>
amazon.com/Anker-20000mAh-Multi-Voltage-Technology-Smartphones/dp/B005NGLTZQ why not?
>>
>>926062
>Its normally powered by two prong plug at 120volts

- it isn't, not really. Your '120v' hard drive has an AC/DC adapter, this either a black box between the plug and the plug, or its a wallwart, into whcih the transformer is built.

On this box/plug, it states something like 12v/2A - this, a portable 12v power source (like a car batery) is what you need. Go check and confirm - if you haven't got this? - you may (v. slight chance) have a hard drive where the transformer is built into the box containing he drive, and you would need both a 12v PSU and an inverter - this is, however, unlikely in the extreme.

But basically, you could obtain a portable drive that powers itself from USB - 500GB be about $30, and a whole lot easier allround. You have neitehr a 120v hard drive, nor need of 3TB worth of crap for two weeks, srsly.
>>
a powered ext HDD normally needs +12V and +5V, not just 12V. these need to be stable and precise -- within 5%. so, a car battery, which can vary from 10-14V is not recommended.
>>
>>926038
They let you out already Jared?
>>
Jared? if you mean the guy from the subway commercials, that's a horrible thing to say, and also slightly funny
>>
1. large Ah 4s lipo
2. low voltage alarm
3. 2-5A 12v percision switching regulator
4. ?????
5. profit
>>
>>927193
https://www.pololu.com/product/2855
can handle 36v input so get a 8-5s
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?cwhl=XX&idCategory=86&v=&sortlist=P&LiPoConfig=6&CatSortOrder=desc
>>
>>926038
>I'm going camping for 2 weeks
>but plan to do some computer work
Youre doing it wrong m8.
>>
>>926038
copy what you need from the 3TB drive to a smaller, self-powered drive
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.