[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the best (and cheapest) way to plaster up sand walls to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: l85235168[1].jpg (22KB, 350x218px) Image search: [Google]
l85235168[1].jpg
22KB, 350x218px
Whats the best (and cheapest) way to plaster up sand walls to make sure they don't cave in?

I'm constructing an underground room at the moment and need to decide on a method. I've though about using concrete, but would it stick and if I mix it with sand would it be thick enough to smear onto the walls?

I was told by my father I should build a frame inside using 2x4s and hang chickenwire off them, then mash cement into the wire and against the wall.
>>
ITT how do i build my own tomb
>>
>>925965
How deep underground and how large would you want your new grave to be? If it's really sand, nothing would help to keep it from caving in after a heavier rain (ok, something would - digging the site up and constructing a proper shelter before covering the structure with sand again).
>>
There are special formulations of concrete used in such a scenario, usually referred to as shockrete but chances are you don't have the means of producing it or pumping it. You're probably better off using timber supports but unless you know what you're doing (i.e. old timey mining techniques) there's a good chance you'll kill yourself anyway
>>
>>925973
>>925974
It's not completely underground.

Basically making a hole with a roof over it, so theres not really any chance of a collapse being dangerous.
>>
>>926023
... wall collapsing onto you will still crush and bury you. just, you know, avalanche from the side instead of tree falling on your head.
>>
>>926116
Okay, how about stacking sandbags against the wall?

I'd appreciate if someone could give actual advice rather than "LOL ITS A GRAVE".

It's obviously possible, otherwise basements and cellars wouldn't be a thing...
>>
>>925965
Your dad's idea isn't total shit. Try stucco wire? idk if it really is any different from chicken wire but its what I use with cement.

Don't be an asshat and you shouldn't die... hopefully...
>>
What size and how deep?
>>
>>926153
Cellars are built with at least half a foot of reinforced concrete. Unless you plan on digging everything out, pouring a concrete structure capable of withstanding however many feet of sand (which is basically all the weight of solid stone without any of the structural integrity), you might as well stick a headstone on top.
>>
>>926171
10 feet x 12 feet x 8 feet deep
>>
>>926179
everything is already dug.
Would stair-stepping like this with sandbags filled with 13 parts sand/1 part cement be sufficient enough to prevent cave ins?
>>
>>926239
No, it needs to be solid, not bags. Use cinder blocks with rebar cores and fill em with concrete.

Better yet, hire a contractor to design it for you. DIY the construction if you want, but you really need to get the structure engineered. This is not something to fuck with or do half assed, you will die if you do.
>>
>>926239

Dude, stop.
You need SOLID concrete, reinforced with rebar.
If you make walls out of bags of ANYTHING the weight of the sand and dirt will slowly push them, making the room smaller until they give in and collapse.
>>
For all it seems to be the Mos Eisly of the internet, people on this site always seem to have the same reaction to underground stuff.

And it nearly always indicates that trying to DIY anything underground is gunna kill you.

Personally i would take the advice, get a contractor. If 4chan is worried about you, it's time to re-evaluate some life choices.
>>
>>926301
>And it nearly always indicates that trying to DIY anything underground is gunna kill you.
When putting thousands of pounds of stuff over your head, it's a good idea to make sure it's done right. Get a contractor, OP. Build a real underground room, then apply cemented, reinforced sand to the inside as decoration.
>>
>>926250
This.
>>
>>926239
inspiration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1t7r3SKT2o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR493Pee6Xo
>>
>>926501
shit taste in music desu
>>
>>926704
I agree, why do gen x'ers and boomers have such a hard on for high pitched yelling and guitars?
like why is green day an acceptable band to listen to as an adult?

>>925965
don't listen to these guys, op.
bunch of critics who never built their dream home
go for it
>>
>>926239
if you know the materrial and particle size of the soil around you, you can calculate the angle of repose. if your sandbag slope is less then that angle, you might be ok... BUT, its going to have a lot of pore space; expect it to soak up water like a sponge and drain into your structure regardless of the plastering job. you are basically making an artificial aquifer :/
>>
File: Shotcrete 101.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Shotcrete 101.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>925965
>plaster up sand walls to make sure they don't cave in?

You don't. You need to use something like shotcrete and reinforced supports.
>>
There was an old engineer who i saw get in trouble for keeping his daughter or some girl in an underground basement he built himself for like 18 years or something and having kids with her and stuff.
He built his own though, so look up how he did that and copy his methods
>>
>>926501
i cant imagine what something like this would cost...
just to be prepared for something that might not happen
>>
>>927335
You pay a lot of money for your car insurance, just to be prepared for something that might not happen. It's just that taken to an illogical extreme.
>>
>>927356
i don't know about you, but where i live people are legally required to have car insurance for their vehicles
>>
>>928889
Right, cause everyone only carries liability insurance and the absolute minimum at that. I don't know about you mate but I'd like to get some money back on my car if it gets rekt and it happens to be my fault or the other fucker scampers off/has no insurance.

Or you could just give the DMV a bond but I've never heard of anyone ever doing that.
>>
>>926239
Stop now. You aren't even aware that pressure increases with depth.
>>
Have a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B6xR3T37gI

And, get this Book: http://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Dollar-Underground-House-Book/dp/0442273118
>>
>>925965
Engineering is important. Most of all because of the geology. Sand is free draining you know? I assume since the sand is 8ft deep youre not on a hillside. How will you keep the flood of water out? The first time it rains, that basement will flood unless you also build a sump.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.