[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, are here any tattoo artists? I'm pretty good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

Hey /diy/,
are here any tattoo artists?

I'm pretty good when it comes to drawing and creative stuff, but I don't have any tattoos myself. Since I'm interested in tattooing I already know some basic stuff but when it comes to tattoo machines and buying them, I'm lost.

Are there any good cheap machines to have some fun with?
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 615x1093px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 615x1093px
>>925891
Just leaving this here
Google "charmander tattoo"
>>
>>925891
Get the cheapest one you can find, and practice on different fruits. Grapefruit is pretty good. Remember, though, that cheap colours have a tendency to be poisonous as fuck (filled with literal arsenic, and shit). So don't practice on people you like, unless you know what you're doing.
>>
>>925957
Thanks for the tip!

To be honest with you, here's what I have on my mind:

I want to tattoo someone for a long time. It was always just a fun thought but now there's someone real who wants to be tattooed by me.
It's a really simple tattoo. Just one small letter.

So if I buy the cheapest set and use it on fruits and then buy good colors to use it on human - is it a good idea?
>>
>>925891
I don't tattoo myself buy my gf is a tattoo artist and form time to time I repair her machine and power supply. These are simple little things and depending on the type of machine you prefer (rotor of buzzer) can set you back a few bucks, but if you plan to just practice on fruit of artificial leather (or pigskin, cheapest thing she used that works depending on your moral stance) just get the cheapest peace of crap you can find. They brake and ware out but if you don't plan to use it on humans you'll be super fine. The place you might want to dish out some dosh is the power supply, since you can use it later on with a more decent machine, and you don't want it craping out on you during a fine line. Lost of needles and an autoclave. Needles are cheap as fuck so get a lot of them. They dull out and make your job hell, so know when you need to replace them. And autoclave is needed to maintain a sterile environment. And I can not stress how important this is. Half ass tattoo wackjobs with a machine spread HIV and hep-C like rats spread the plague. serialize EVERITHING, ware gloves use rubbing alcohol on the skin of your client. Keep in mind that pigments can get contaminated too if used improperly.
A good place to star out is getting straight lines on an orange peel. the trick is getting the lines the same depth so they fade out at the same rate as the tattoo ages. oranges are good for this since when you peel them if you cut the skin to deep the pain will leak in to the white stuff and you will see it. Another thing to pay attention to is are you cutting the skin while doing this are your lines too slow or too quick, if the orange splits on your line you are to slow, if the line is uneven in colour you are moving too fast.
After you had some practice with fruits go to a butcher shop and get some pig meat. It's the cheapest and closest alternative to drugging your best buddy and tattooing him while his out.
>>
>>925899
I kinda like it.
It's like IRL shitposting.
>>
>>926012
Thanks for the info!
It's all really helpful.

Could you or your gf recommend me a decent machine to use on actual people after I practise with a cheap one?
It doesn't have to be anything special or "high-end". I'm not thinking about opening my own place or something. I just want to make few nice pieces on a few people.
>>
>>926015
Hers are so moded at this point they're no longer factory models xD, I might be to blame for this but hey I fix things on the fly.
But the ones she uses aren't global name brand models to begin with it's something she got locally from a shop she apprenticed at they are Iskra made (local electronics/machinist company) and I doubt you can get them outside the Balkans . Things to watch out for are plastics on the machine. These will melt the first time you sterilize it. Some of her friends wanted me to look at their machines that have melted when put in to the autoclave, at this point they where garbage. Sometimes the coils will have a plastic core, so watch out for that, look for ceramic or metal.
Another thing is to pick out the type you prefer. She uses a buzzer machine for smaller designs since it has more control and is a bit more versatile, but it will fuck up your hand form the constant shaking after a while. So for bigger jobs she uses a rotory machine it's a bit more stable. This again is a thing of debate among tattoo artists.
Share some artwork and I'll get her to give you tips on what too look out for when doing them on skin.
>>
>>925961
If you want the result to be actually good.. make sure that you don't suck. And preferably get some actual experience with an apprenticeship.

And don't tattoo friends if you want then to stay friends. Unless you're like literary gangbangers, or some other shit.
>>
>>926014
If someone tattoo'd me while I was passed out I would literally kill him.
Straight up murder his ass, no matter if I go to jail.
>>
>>926305
> he didn't google it.
He did it to himself you cock belch.

> http://time.com/3826530/charmander-pokemon-tattoo-reddit/
>>
>>926026
I AM NOT an artist myself, but I have a few pieces on me and I saw that you mentioned messing up your hand after a while so I guess I can share.

One guy that was doing my shoulder was 40-something, an artist since his teenage years, so we can say he had 20+ years of inking behind him. He's back was fucked. You normally do breaks that's logical, but he actually HAD TO do breaks, because of the pain, it didn't let him work. So the breaks were really random. Now I got curious and asked him if he had some kind of a car accident or other shit, he said that it's strictly from the job.

If you think about it, it makes sense, a bigger work demands many hours sittings (I can say something about that, you start at 8am finish at 6pm, that's 10 hours of work), I as a client go numb and all I do is sit or lie stretched, so I don't even want to imagine the stress an artist's body get when he's constantly leaning or bending.

It's kinda like with the back problems that the professional drummers get after years of playing, muscle tension gets it toll with time.
So what I would like to contribute is that to stay fit and train your back muscles, keep them strong I guess. I'm throwing this for both OP and the anon's artist girlfriend.
>>
I've been researching tattooing for a few months now, and have a pretty firm grasp on all the basics. Practiced quite a bit on some citrus fruits, and will eventually hit up a butcher for some pig skin when I get closer to doing myself.

One thing I have noticed about that tattoo artist community, is that they are by leaps and bounds the most illiterate group of people I have ever had the misfortune of researching. Obviously there's exceptions to the standard, but so many seem like they just flatlined their education after middle school (or earlier).

It's always so difficult to take their advice seriously. Especially when they use abstract references to describe how to operate the tattoo machines--as if there's no right or wrong way to tune them and that it's all govorned under some magic element of artistic talant. Sure talant comes into play, but it IS just a machine--there is going to be a scientific method to tell when it's functioning optimally, and there's going to be right and wrong methods of pushing ink to the proper layer of skin.
Some of it will be personal preference, but a lot of it will be grounded in the fact that you're just pushing pigment particles a certain depth into skin. There will be trial and error as you get to understand it. There are variables that will require experience to adapt to. But OP should have no problem learning enough to do a simple letter in under three months of half-assed practice so long as it's not going on a particularly thin area of skin (ankle, wrist, etc...).
>>
>>926883
For OP, you've got some good advice to get started in this thread already. Do look into websites dedicated to this sort of thing, you might pick up some more info. Do not get intimidated by people making it sound like some sort of mystic art. Especially those that can't write properly. Advanced enough science can come off as sorcery and all that, most of those people are just idiots parroting what better artists have told them because they can't grasp the concepts in a more rational manner.
Youtube is also pretty good for visualizing those bullshit abstract references I mentioned.

You will not need an autoclave if you follow proper sanitary procedures. Disposable tubes, plastic baggies over the machines, never reuse anything that isn't covered while in the splatter zone. Eyepro is highly encoraged, as biological material can fly into your eyes.
Any reasonably priced autoclave for the DIY'er will not reach required sanitation levels anyways.
>>
I just use pre-packaged and sterilized hypodermic needles filled will India ink to do my own work.

It's hella cheap and easy.
>>
>>927324
>ADIS delivery wagon
>>
>>927324
While that would work, there's really no telling what sort of contamination has gotten into that ink.
I can't imagine how you'd get any degree of a decent tattoo out of it though. Have any pics?
>>
>>926883
>Bitching about illiterates.
>govorned
>talant
>>
>>927372
Yeah they aren't great. Most of them aren't finished. They come out super faint the way I do it, which is fine by me because I don't want them to be easily noticeable. Don't have any photos because I don't like documenting identifiable markings (have lots of trouble with the law around here)

Definitely not recommended for most folks to do, but it accomplishes the goals I have, and I wouldn't really get a tattoo otherwise.
>>
>>925891
Look bro I will try to help you out from what I know. My English is not that good, so if you don't understand something ask and I'll try to be more specific.

If you have some spare money, try to invest in decent material (Machines/ink/needles) and stay away from Chinese machines(rotatory mostly) I'll try to attach a pic of this type (they will only come in handy in the future if you follow this road)

>1/?
>>
>>927493
One thing you need to keep in mind is: Tattooing it's not like drawing on paper/canvas, with that in mind, forget about every techniques used for paper drawing, you're dealing with skin from now on.
Of course there's the fact that you are now handling a machine, not a pencil, if you already hold a machine, you know what I'm talking about, a machine is heavy compared to a pen/pencil and it vibrates like hell.

2/?
>>
File: WP_20160109_001.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160109_001.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
>>927505
About the ink, you have to be worried about expiring date and origin of the product.(I'm attaching examples of my own works, they were all made in myself, by me of course) I also recommend you to do that, yes, tattoo yourself, it's almost like a rite of passage. Jokes aside, do that so you learn how much hard it is.
About the ink and the tattoo "losing" too much ink, it could be very much related to how much the point/edge of the needle you have exposed, too much needle and you will have a "bloody" tattoo, no needle and you will have no tattoo (assuming you have a good decent ink).

Pic showing a tattoo outline that "lost" ink, due to his quality. More to come.
>>
File: WP_20160109_009.jpg (390KB, 855x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160109_009.jpg
390KB, 855x1456px
>>927510
I don't know if someone it's lurking but I'm posting anyway.

A well adjusted machine it's 80% of the tattoo. If you have no idea what a
I'm talking about, there's tons of videos of how set up/adjust your machine, this you'll get used to it in time, every tattoo artist(Horishi, where I'm from) adjust their own machine. Since every artist tattoo on their own style.

What is really common is the tattoo artist have more than one machine, why's that? One for the painting other for the outlines. That is because the machine for painting have a different adjust on the power supply voltage. And the machines are slightly different (pics aside) the machines to paint usually have a bigger "core" sorry I forgot the word in English for that part. That is because you need more power to paint the tattoo then to outline it.

?/?
>>
>>927518
Shit, forgot to tilt" sorry.
>>
>>927518
Should I proceed?
>>
Off Topic in a way but a friend of mine quit his job to become a tattoo artist full time and his gf works 50 hours a week to pay their house off. He barely does 3 hours a week and he can't draw and really cannot tattoo.

How do I be a good friend and tell him to stop without crushing his dreams?
>>
>>927522
He needs a shock of reality. Do you have any works of him that I can see?
>>
>>927518
The word is coil.
I have made my own a few times they short out if used for a long time.
anon with tattooist gf lurking, I adjust her machines since she is too dumb to change a light bulb, blonds amarite?
I'd like to see more machines tho
>continue please
>>
File: PhotoGrid_1452384298098.jpg (1MB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGrid_1452384298098.jpg
1MB, 1920x1920px
>>927528
Cropped for my own sense of well-being.
>>
>>927521
I'm interested.
Funny I have a lot of tattoos but never knew a thing about how it works.
>>
File: needles.jpg (116KB, 900x593px) Image search: [Google]
needles.jpg
116KB, 900x593px
>>927521
As I said a well adjusted machine it's really important, the problem with the Chinese made it's that since they are large scale made there are little or no caution with the procedure to built the coil(thank you for the correct word anon) so they will have a short life, since they will fry from the inside. A decent machine will have a stable noise, anything different from that and you might have facing a short circuit(the machine will be "jumping")

The machine for the painting will have a more high pitched noise, since his adjustment it's different. Oh yeah and you have to use more than one machine because otherwise you will fry the one you using. In the pics up there, the black one I use for the outline, and the outline, this part I important, you can use more than one needle, but, a needle for the outline can have 1, 2 or 3 real needles(anything more than that and you will have a thick outline) The most hard to work with it's the one needle. It's usually used with the purpose for portraits tattoos, but mostly for the outlining that needs to be almost invisible.
>>
>>927552
Well, the most common problem is that, mostly of the people who bought a tattoo machine think that from night to day will be doing full irezumi yakuza bodysuits, and no. They should start with simply basic outlining and black paintings designs
>inb4 letters, names, whatever the fuck you can paint full black.

Why? Because when they made a mistake, it will not be visible as a mistake on a colorful highly detailed tattoo.
>>
File: wp_ss_20160109_0003.png (309KB, 541x408px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160109_0003.png
309KB, 541x408px
>>927626
Take a look in pic attached, if the drawing was full black this mistakes will not be visible, and that is fucking obvious right?

No, its not. Try to explain this for a person who think it's the master of fucking tattoos, you will probably ended up losing a friend.
>>
>>927630
The guy is clearly in denial or plain batshit crazy.
His lines are crappy and all dinged up, he doesn't know how to continue them properly you can see a double line on the left knee and the butt where he tried to stop and continue, and he tries to hide it with shitty shading witch is inconsistent and not at the same layer of skin and as such it won't fade at the same rate. Your Jamaican babymama is gonna look like a leopard within a year.I mean just look at the mouth or the alien baby head. Not to mention the thighs. He's not just bad at tattooing he's bad at drawing. If we wants to get good he should put his machine down for a while maybe get some art classes learn how to sketch and than re learn how to use that machine.
Having said that, that tattoo is better than some so-called artists I have seen that run shops so maybe he's not hopeless if he willing to learn
>>
>>927800
Also this.
>>
>>927324
And looks like absolute dogshit. That's not what OP is after at all.

OP, ignore this delinquent, criminal scum.
>>
>>927552
Dear god. That thing is terrible.
>>
File: macroblocking FTW.png (62KB, 266x215px) Image search: [Google]
macroblocking FTW.png
62KB, 266x215px
>>927552
That's an absolutely terrible photograph.

Despite being 1.5MB, it's bitrate-starved, as you can see from this blowup. I think your levels might need work, but it's hard to tell from looking at a mosaic what's detail and what's aliasing.
>>
>>927522
What's he doing with the other 37 hours?

Because if the answer is "drawing" and "tattooing flash onto gammon", he'll git good eventually.
>>
>>925891
Buy an animal tranquilizer gun and a shaver, and tranq a deer innawoods. Give it some tribal/prison tats.
>>
Can i draw shadows with machine for outlines?

Can someone recommend me a decent tattooing set for beginners?
>>
>>929445
Kits are generally trash, but this one should last long enough to learn the basic skills before you move on to actual people, and the machines can be rebuilt as fairly inexpensive upgrades when you feel you've outgrown the stock components.

http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com/shop/the-hildbrandt-starter-tattoo-kit-system/
>>
>>929445
And while you will generally be able to tune a liner to work as a shader, it isn't the greatest option. If you're going to tattoo someone, you should really invest in both machines.
>>
My brother and I built a tattoo gun out of Lego's, a coat hanger, rubber bands and a PlayStation CD motor. Glad we were smart enough to not try it, that thing was gnarly.
>>
>>929538
So, could I use it later on actual humans?
>>
>>929576
Yes. You'll want to have a good understanding on santation and tuning your machines, and probably buy some better quality ink, needles, disposable tubes and other skin prep materials--but yeah, that kit will do the job.
>>
>>929564
I got a tattoo done with a ballpoint pen tube, guitar string and a playstation cd motor. Shit's all scarred and crooked. Good times.
>>
>>929587
>>929564
Are these some kind of /diy/ jokes or are you serious?
>>
>>929971
This is done in prisons all the times.
Sometimes they use bed springs and buzzer bells. But yeah tattoo machines are that simple. Not saying that these things are easy to tattoo with or that the ink wont look like cancer and wont give you super-hepatitis-aids
>>
>>926012
>buy my gf
>rotor of buzzer
>fruit of artificial leather
>brake and ware
>serialize EVERYTHING
>ware gloves
>star out
>the pain will leak

Gotta love it when Otto collects.
>>
File: DSC_0048.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0048.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>929971
These are fairly serious. The "old" prison way was using a ballpoint pen tube, guitar string or sharpened wire, and a wee motor from a tape deck. Nowadays they tend to use the ruble motors from playstation controllers, tho I dug one out an old controller and think it's a bit weak, personally.

>>929974
True, the circuit for a doorbell buzzer and a tattoo machine is basically the same, just scaled up.

I made a few machines myself, for tattooists I know, as well as a few needle holders for hand poking. I am a machinist tho, so I can make fairly good rotaries. I use motors from maplin, as they are easy to get. Also Aircraft grade aluminium, but that's mainly cos that's what I have lying about.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.