[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys I'm trying to build an free standing pullup bar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

Hey guys

I'm trying to build an free standing pullup bar that's strong and easy to take apart (since I move a lot).

From what I've gathered, it'll cost at least $400 to make something sturdy from metal. It seems like a lot just for me to flex my muscle.

A few people have bragged about building something like this for half as much with used scaffolding, but I can't find anyone who actually sells that stuff in my area.

Any suggestions?

I'll post pictures of what I'm going to settle for if nothing good turns up.
>>
I feel like this one would wiggle a lot. Might be crap.
>>
One more
>>
File: lP5rpCD.jpg (64KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
lP5rpCD.jpg
64KB, 720x960px
Last one. Using rope to make one of these crap design sturdy might be worth while, right?
>>
this shit looks like some kind of rape-dungeon equipment.
>>
>>925749
I would consider that a bonus
>>
>>925732
Find an old building being torn down. Steal any decent length of iron/steel gas pipe, steel support, anything. Alternatively you could build one of wood, but it'd be a lot thicker. I would just use a tree branch. Fuck building that shit.
>>
>>925732
You can buy a ready made one off amazon for $250.
Maybe it's going to one of those things that is always going to cheaper to buy unless you can blag materials for free.

Another option would be to look at modular warehouse shelving.
>>
>>925732
Make it out of a few 2x4s held together with bolts and wingnuts. The only piece that has to be steel is the bar itself.

>>925735
>Using rope to make one of these crap design sturdy might be worth while, right?
Probably not. The rope will have to be VERY tight to get stiffness anywhere near a solid cross brace. A 2x2 cross brace will probably be cheaper too. And I'm a welder, so I like to use metal where practical. It's just that for simple structures on a budget, it's hard to beat dimensional lumber.
>>
>>925849
Also, I'd use 1" round bar for the bar, not pipe. It's stronger for the diameter and cheaper. As you've gathered, pipe isn't cheap.
>>
File: image.jpg (120KB, 1360x1360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 1360x1360px
Buy two sets of ladders, attach bar to the top.

Then you'll have two sets of decent ladders and a pull bar.
>>
File: Frame_Assembly.png (152KB, 1200x591px) Image search: [Google]
Frame_Assembly.png
152KB, 1200x591px
A wooden A-frame would be cheaper. Google swing set plans.
>>
>>925869
Maybe you could make it work with a single a-frame? The bar would be supported by the A-frame (perhaps with a vertical brace for strength) and it would be propped up against the wall at the other end. Saves some space and weight and can easily be disassembled.
>>
>>925732
you down have a doorway to put one of those bars in? what third world shit hole do you live in? inb4 murika

just build it out of wood with nuts and bolts instead of screws. if you can take apart an ikea dresser/bed/table you can take apart a few bolts.
>>
>>925732
Forget about this impractical shit and buy one bolted to a wall or ceiling. I get why you don't want the type installed in doorways, but every house has walls and ceiling.
>>
>>925875
That shit is harsh on doorways. If he's renting or moving and he's not a manlet he's gonna break the doorway or that stupid bar.
>>
>>925875
Was using one, had to stop because it was starting to cause damage.

>>925918
>bolted to a ... ceiling
Did that at my last apartment, which was awesome. Not an option here sadly.

>>925847
Most of the reviews say they're flimsy. I'm trying to build something that'll last more than a year.

>>925845
>>925869
>>925849
Yes, I imagine wood would be the cheapest solution.
>>
This would be about 50 bucks (or less) with 2x4 and a screw gun. Just do a basic frame, 45 degree angle supports at the bottom.

If you want something you can take apart, get loose pin hinges to secure the joints with. Pull the pin, joints come apart, put boards in truck. Requires a bit better engineering cause the joints will be slightly loose - use your diagonal supports properly - but if you want something mobile it's a piece of cake to build and move.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.