[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /diy/, i'm trying to recreate the soot stains that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Fireplace-BEFORE.jpg (242KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Fireplace-BEFORE.jpg
242KB, 1600x1200px
hey /diy/,

i'm trying to recreate the soot stains that appears on fireplaces after some times. any ideas what material i could burn in order to create such stains quickly?
>>
>>925338

if you want to do it without burning shit, use dark grey spray paint and just mist the spray on like in that pic. that way you have a permanent look and dont need to wait years for the look by burning stuff naturally
>>
>>925340
i thought about it, did some test, but the results were inconclusive. i would like it to be real soot.

basically i have this white board which i need to coat with soot at the bottom, i figured if i burned some coal and just held the board over the smoke for a little while i would eventually get some stains pretty quickly.

but i think i can find something better to burn than coal
>>
>>925344
One advice buy a fire extinguisher before you fuck around

Just burn a lot of wood in there with the windows open and a plug in the chimmney
>>
>>925347
i don't actually need to do it in a fireplace, i just need to create soot stains on another surface (a white board)
>>
>>925350
Well if I remember one thing from chemistry is that when you use a Bunsen burner and close the bit at the bottom the natural gas doesn't mix with air and you get a yellow sooty flame which will deposit carbon quickly onto stuff.
Opening the valve makes a blue flame that burned away the dirty deposits
>>
>>925350
>make campfire
>hold board over fire
>create sootstains

you literally couldn't come up with this yourself?
>>
>>925359
i figured shit wouldn't be that simple. but ultimately that what i'm going to do. burning pine wood which release lotsa soot apparently.
>>
File: charcoal.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
charcoal.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
Just rub some charcoal on to the bricks.
>>
>>925372
this
>>
>>925338
Kerosene would be your best bet. Use a tiki torch filled with it instead of the torch fluid they sell. Kerosene is how I make lamp black pigment. Also the same color used in india ink.
>>
candles with large wicks might work, too. Just keep burning the candle almost upside down.
>>
>>925385
Oh shit I totally forgot that stuff makes some nasty ass soot

OP this is yer golden ticket
>>
>>925372

Crushing it and dusting it on would give a better look.

Just rubbing it on will look like someone took a black crayon and drew on it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.