[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much do you guys know about stone floors? I was cleaning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

How much do you guys know about stone floors?
I was cleaning the floor the other day and accidentally used a wrong kind of soap, after I wiped it off I noticed some of the color came off.
There's a spot on the floor now that looks kind of dusty, rest of the floor is black and this spot is a little lighter. There's these kind of signs of wearing off all over the floor but the rest are much smaller and you don't really pay attention to them.
I looked it up online and they said that olive oil can give a worn out slate the color back so I tried it. Looks really good and you cant tell that anything happened. My only worry is that the oil will come off when you wash the floor, I noticed now that when you walk over the spot with shoes it leaves a faint shoe mark. The floor doesn't even feel oily anymore and I think the stone absorbed part of it

So what should I do, paint it, put some coating on it, or just go with the oil? I don't want my landlord to find out, it would be better if I could fix this myself.
Pic related, looks like the floor I have.
>>
>>924724
soap wash the entire thing

then leave it as that
>>
>>924724
Out of curiosity, have you tried just mopping it with clear water? Some soaps leave a residue if theyve got additives or "moisturizers"
>>
>>924774

I did, but I'm pretty sure it's not residue since the part even feels more coarse than rest of the floor and looks kind of faint.
I will wash it again tomorrow to see if the oil comes off and test this too
>>
>stone
>soap washed out some colour

Either it is not stone or it is not soap.
>>
>>924803
Spoiler: Many natural stones are dyed to give them a better color than they naturally have. Especially cheap stone.

That said, OP probably has ceramic tile that mimics stone.
>>
or OP just has a really dirty floor which is covered entirely in oil or something
>>
>>924803
Maybe not technically soap, something you spray from a bottle to wipe kitchen counters
>>
>>924827
WELL WHAT IS IT THEN
>>
>>924830
Ok shit.. I checked the substance and it's called Viakal, I guess its meant for sink cleaning. Removes scale/limestone from showers etc.. a garbage bag broke in the night and spilled on the floor, I just grabbed whatever was on the counter that my roommate used earlier that day.
Luckily I didn't use much and took it off right away with lots of water. So not soap
>>
>>924846
>This was an unusual problem; a customer contacted us regarding their Marble shower room at a house in Marlborough where the customer had sprayed Viakal Limescale remover onto the Marble tiles to clean them which unfortunately etched the surface. I’ve downloaded the MSDS sheet from the Inernet for this product and can verify it contains a combination of Etidronic, Formic and Phosphoric acids so not a very safe product to use on Marble or any sealed stone surface.

http://wiltshire.tiledoctor.biz/marble-shower-tiles-damaged-by-viakal-limescale-remover/
>>
You do it one small area at a time not the whole thing that's how you get stains same thing with tile.
>>
>>924994
Thanks a lot, I will look into it
>>
>>924994
Why does anyone use marble in bathrooms? It's literally the worst possible material for a bathroom. It stains. Just pissing on it once ruins it. Benchtops, OK. Walls, OK, foyers, OK. But literally the pissing room, no.
>>
>>924803
False, many types of stone will release some of the calcium that is in there if it gets wet when untreated. OP probably succeeded in removing some of the oil that used to be in there.

>>924724
Olive oil will work, but something like line seed oil would be much better. You could mix it with paint thinner to make it go deeper into the stone. Rub it in there good, let it sit for about twenty minutes and then make it dry with a dry and clean cloth.

Source: uncle has a company that makes all kind of stuff (kitchen, outdoors, hell even waterfalls for in gardens of granite marble etc.) worked there for some years.
>>
>>925376

I knew it was a good idea to ask here, thanks for the tip! The olive oil looks great, I'll probably just stick with that for now.
I also tried washing the floor with mild soap and it's still looking good, so the oil didn't come off Maybe I'll put a couple of layers more after some time just to be sure
>>
>>925355

Well it depends on the finish. Marble is a lot more porous than people think so it needs sealing.
>>
Fuck all
Glad I could help
Off to save another thread
>>
>>925417
But I want it to stain. I will piss stain it so evenly people will have to pay extra for a stained marble floor.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.