[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone give me a absolute beginners guide to hacking? Like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 1439328300019.png (616KB, 599x600px) Image search: [Google]
1439328300019.png
616KB, 599x600px
Can anyone give me a absolute beginners guide to hacking? Like if someone who never touched a computer aproached you and ask you to teach them in the art.
I'm not looking for illegal activities, i'm curious about becoming a spec ops, or intelligence agent.
>>
Lmao what's with all these retards posting on DIY. You want to be a hacker but you can't even google a question.

Good luck becoming "spec ops" with an IQ that just skirts the line of retardation.

Now piss off back to /MLP/ fagot.
>>
>>924559
the guides on google need more attention and sophistication to master.
I can't have that. I wan't to aproach this at first as a little hobby and then maybe move on if i get a hang on.
>>
>>924551
>intelligence agent

Opening up a history book might be a better bet.
>>
Lololololol you are so clueless.

"I want to be a hacker but I don't want put in the work required to do it."

Pretty much what you just said.

Deffently secret agent material right there. hahahahahahahaha
>>
>>924569
it's not like i would not put work on it, sorry i phrased my inclinations poorly.
What i really meant is that i wan't to do it little by little. I'm curious that it maybe might actually be fun.
I imagine it me doing it like a big set of legos. You don't build the whole thing at once, but only few pieces every day, untill it grows into super complexity with minimum work essentially. It's fun and not really work, even tough it looks impressive after a course of time.
>>
>>924551
OP again
The real problem is the head start essentially.
I'm too lazy to find out about all the prerequisites.
If i have a single handy dandy monster of a book that lists all the prerequisites for me, then it would be more fun and less strainous.
>>
>>924551

PhD computer science here

The term "hacking" is way overused today. There a lot of things that different people call hacking that are very different and require very different skill sets.

The most technically demanding kind of hacking work is writing new computer viruses or writing other tools to compromise computer systems. This requires really advanced expertise in computer systems as well as a lot of practical experience with specific systems you want to attack. Getting these kinds of skills takes a decade or longer of high level computing experience, and even then it's a largely self-taught skill. But, these are the kinds of people you need if you want to make a computer system do something it's not supposed to do.

The more common idea of hacking in the public mind is actually more centered around getting unauthorized access. Once you get unauthorized access to a computer system, you're able to do the things that a computer system was designed to do, you're just not supposed to be able to do them. This is the most common cause of things like data breaches at large companies. Gaining access to systems lets you look at people's data or modify the system to operate differently. The access is usually gained through social engineering techniques, password attacks, or occasionally through a specialized tool designed by the people from the first group I talked about. Depending on what you're doing, this requires significant technical knowledge to zero technical knowledge.

After that, there are a lot of ways that people compromise computer systems that don't actually require cracking the computer systems themselves. These are things like credit card skimmers, and require basic technical knowledge.

So if you want a guide, you'll have to be more specific about what it you want to do.

Intelligence agents are likely not going to be hackers. It's very possible that they would use computer tools developed by real hackers in order to do something though.
>>
>>924577
First step is to google "what is hacking?" and figure out what you're actually asking. Then learn at least the basics of what you're trying to "hack". Obviously you can't "hack" a computer if you don't know how to operate one in the first place, that's just straight up retarded.

You're asking the equivalent of "Hey guys I don't know how to operate a doorknob, but can you teach me how to get through a locked door?"
>>
>>924551
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=script+kiddie
>>
>>924583
If you don't find it fun to mess around with computers and technology in general for no good reason, then hacking is probably not the right hobby for you...
>>
>>924577
>>924583

Real hacking requires a lot of general computer skills that aren't hacking skills. I'm not a hacker, but if I had to put it in a list:

1) Learn a programming language
2) Learn C and C++
3) Learn operating systems
4) Learn networking
5) Learn cryptography
6) Learn the system you want to attack

Here's the wiki page of just about the oldest, most basic computer vulnerability. Once everything here is crystal clear you can start to think about how you might start to break a modern system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow

If you're a US citizen then you might look into an NSA (National Security Agency) summer camp. They have at both the high school and college levels, though I've got no idea what they do there.

https://www.nsa.gov/academia/
>>
>>924588
>advanced expertise in computer systems
>>924589
>Hey guys I don't know how to operate a doorknob, but can you teach me how to get through a locked door?

This is exactly what i was asking about.
Let me paint out that for you. Look, in the guide i was imagining about, there is written about the doorlock and one footnote that lists the required prerequisite (which is the door knob). Then i would instantly know what to work at now. I would buy books on doorknobs and what else or maybe the guide itself might have a seperate chapter about doorknobs.

It would take all the tedious searching away frim me (which i hate, because it's not very calculable). A guide like this would really take me by the hand and bring me solace.
>>
>>924603
>It would take all the tedious searching away frim me (which i hate, because it's not very calculable). A guide like this would really take me by the hand and bring me solace.

What we're saying is that you need to tell us more specifically what you think you want to learn about. Downloading credit card info from a company is very different from writing a computer virus, and the prerequisites for either are radically different.
>>
>>924588
>>break a modern system
>>924588
i'm not really about breaking a system. But disassemble it and subdue it. To bend it to my will.
>>
>>924609
>i'm not really about breaking a system. But disassemble it and subdue it. To bend it to my will.

In the computer parlance, we'd call that breaking the system. Anytime a computer system does something it's not supposed to do, it's broken. That includes everything from unauthorized access to physically catching on fire.
>>
>>924615
>something it's not supposed to do
but it IS supposed to calculate the blueprints for a cheesburger if i give it the assets to do so. (so a new purpose, if not by the original designer).
I want to do exactly that, repurpose a system. It shoudln't do useless stuff just to abstruct some of its original functions.
>>
>>924623
Alright captain autism, some expressions used by us mere neurotypicals are not consistent with the dictionary definition of the words.
>>
File: 1451363594871.jpg (85KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1451363594871.jpg
85KB, 900x675px
>>
>>924551
Oh come on, you want to hack some girl's Facebook page and you won't come out and admit it. Now bugger off, and stop skeezing/stalking girls at your school.
>>
>>924623

We're still talking about hacking, right? If you break into a computer you don't own (another usage of "broken"), and get it to do stuff that the owner has not authorized, the system is now broken in any traditional sense of the word.

It's broken because the access controls failed to prevent an intrusion

It's broken because you have unauthorized access to the owner's data, processing time, and any computer-connected peripherals

It's broken because the computer is using more energy, generating more heat, and taking longer to do the things the legitimate owner wants it to do

Imagine how you'd feel if you found out you were spending 20% more on gasoline for your car because someone was magically stealing energy from you. Even though your car still functions and gets you from point A to point B as quickly as it ever did, someone else is stealing hundreds of dollars per year of your energy.

If you don't own the computer system in question, it's not supposed to do anything that you want it to do. If it does, then it's broken.

>>924623
>I want to do exactly that, repurpose a system.

From your description, it's still not clear exactly what you want to do, or even whether what you want to do would be considered hacking.

If, by re-purpose a system, you mean that you want to break into a computer and run programs that aren't authorized by the legitimate owner, then you're looking at traditional virus writing or trying to gain unauthorized access. You can read about "botnets" for examples of non-destructive virus based approaches for re-purposing large numbers of computers, or you can read about the Stuxnet virus for an example of a destructive virus based approach.

If, by re-purpose you mean that you've got an old computer you don't have the password for, and want to set it up to do something productive, you can start fresh by installing a new operating system.
>>
>>924681
>If, by re-purpose you mean that you've got an old computer you don't have the password for, and want to set it up to do something productive, you can start fresh by installing a new operating system.

Yes! This is exactly what i was looking for! But couldn't convey it quite.
>>
>>924623
>I want to do exactly that, repurpose a system.

If you mean that you want to gain unauthorized access to a system so that you can login to it and change the way that it operates, but you don't want to use a virus based approach, then you're looking at techniques like social engineering or attacking the authentication system itself, via password attacks or similar.

This is the problem with how you've phrased your question- the broadest possible definition of hacking just means that you want to get a computer system to do something that it's not authorized to do. Depending on your specific aims that could mean any one of a thousand things. Even the statement "repurpose a system" is incredibly vague.

You can repurpose TV displays in a store by sneaking in a universal remote, but not many people would call that "hacking".

You can repurpose a computer by getting the password of an authorized user and sending new commands to the system.

You can repurpose a computer by breaking into the system via technical exploits (i.e hacking via exploits like buffer overflows) and executing arbitrary programs.

Academically and practically these are all different things. There is no single tutorial that tells you how to "hack" all possible situations.

So, you can either provide a concrete scenario and we can talk about the computer security aspects of that, or we can't say anything other than wild generalizations.
>>
>>924681
hmm, about this talk of broken things and stuff.

I imagined it more like disassembling a lego figure and reshaping it.
I never quite saw it until now. I feel kinda dirty now to be honest thinking about hacking, it's as if i was thinking about war and only now realised that war can be pain and death...
I never want to send someone harmful viruses. Those things suck major.
>>
>>924683

Then you're a dumbass who probably stole a computer and didn't want to write that.

That's not hacking you fucking neanderthal. That's installing a new operating system.
>>
>>924687
you know what? I only just realized that in the word hacking is "hack" included.
But i never wanted to breack something, i despise vandalism like the pest!
>>
>>924686

Well, from a computer systems perspective a computer virus is just another program that just so happens to break certain aspects of a computer system.

It's important for software engineers (especially systems software engineers) to understand the kinds of cyber attacks that occur on computer systems so that they can build resilient software.

We talk about this stuff so that we can prevent it from happening, not so we can go out and cause it. But, like everything piece of knowledge, anyone can do good things or bad things with it.

For example, there's a whole industry called "data recovery" full of people who recover data from machines for people who can't access their data. These people are invaluable when your financial records for the last 20 years suddenly disappear. However, they're just as useful to a criminal who steals a hard drive and sends it to them to get the data off of it.

Alfred Nobel was horrified that people used his dynamite for blowing people up instead of for mining. It's the same kind of problem in computer science.
>>
File: image.jpg (98KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 1280x720px
Op real talk how far along the spectrum are you?
>>
15 years old: the post
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.