[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Building a computer
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (503 KB, 1000x841) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
503 KB, 1000x841
I've been trying to build a computer for myself recently, but I am not a technology savvy guy so I have no idea how.

Anyone know how to build a good computer for gaming that's cheap and effective?

By cheap I mean something not $2000 and effective I mean I don't need 200 fps.

Any advice?
>>
Go to /g/ and install Gentoo
>>
>>924331
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/
>>
>>924331
That PC reminds me of the 486s I used to get a hardon over in shops in the 90s. Reading PC Plus and imagining the possibilities with a whole 256 colours...
>>
>>924395
no man, that shit is not period matched, the display and the keyboard could well be 90s but the case looks P4 era
>>
>>924331
Logicalincrements.com

Will give you some builds for various budgets, but you can probably find the parts cheaper if you look around.
>>
>>924331
What's your budget?
I'll do a couple of builds on pcpartpicker if you want.
Also, American?
>>
>>924648
Fuck, just blew 2k on a cyberpower build, i7 6700k and gtx 980ti. Seriously planning on clocking out of reality for large swaths of time :) Also have a 1000 watt psu, might sli the sumbitch if I have a hankerin for 4k @ 60fps
>>
>>924658
Jesus Christ and I'm still sitting here on my i7 870 and hd 5870.

I want to upgrade but it still handles everything i throw it at.
Except for gta v, had to run that on low because muh vram.
>>
>>924662
I'm waiting for next version of hdmi so I can 4k at 120hz. Need it for my retro games.
>>
Buy a ready pc ,mini pc,steam machine
>>
>>924662
Intel core 2 duo 1.8ghz
>get on my level
>>
>>924795
- give you $10 for it?
>which is more than you'd get on ebay.

- no, was actually just hunting for a new(ish) box, had to be i3-i7 (because 'free' with win10 HyperV for no fucking reason runs on nothing else) - that apart, wtf are core2's etc. like $20, and i3's $200? Didnt think that much of difference speed-wise otherwise, personally, but, non-gamer, etc. etc. obv.
>>
>https://choosemypc.net/
>>
>>924662
Well I built 4 others by myself, and this is my first serious rig. Case in point, my computer for the last 4 yrs is an and fx4100 with an amd 7770 HD. Not exactly a strong pc, but I game more and more as I get older thought at 36 I technically shouldn't care about gaming anymore :)
>>
>>924658
>just blew 2k on a cyberpower build

Blew is right, they are fucking awful.
>>
>>924825
A q9550 should be on par with an i3 4170 in games. For general use though the i3 will be faster.
Games will take advantage of 4 cores, but most programs won't.
>>
>>924335
this. also do not under any circumstances cheap out on the PSU
>>
Go to reddit /r buildapcforme I believe is what it is and post there then watch some videos on how to put it together
>>
>>924331
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

If you don't want to think too much about which parts to choose and have a budget in mind this will pretty much pick the best parts for you.

Also reddit.com/r/buildapcsales (for USA, find the specific PC parts sales subreddit for your country) to find parts on sale
>>
>>924337
>reddit
pls no
>>
>>924990
I made that mistake.
29 aud for a 860w psu.
Upgrading to a gtx 670 killed 3 of my hard drives.
>>
>>924658
Are you fucking mental you just got jewed harder than a German concentration camp.
>>
>>924948
>>925154
Well, they claim that there's an address issue with my card, and instead of calling the cc to company to verify, they hold the order until I call them? Its already 3 goddamed weeks before it even ships, niw anither day? Fuck this shit, I'm cancelling the order, maybe grow sum bawz and build my own this go around. And this is a $2170 build, their custy service is shit-tier
>>
Try the KBMOD build guides, they have ones to suit different budgets
>>
>>925154
I kek'd lol, trust me all the parts I have are top notch so the difference between me doing it or them is like $100, oh and CA taxes rape to the town of $176 on the build. Now I have some time to breathe, maybe see if I can get an alien ware Goin
>>
>>925222
Did you get a random call, and not pick up?
Every time I make a big order on my card, it gets hit on the fraud alert and I get a phone call. I have to verify its actually my order.

Ignore the phone call, they lock your card out and fucks up processing of your orders
>>
>>924331
>>924331

IF you've ever assembled a build it yourself piece of furniture, with screwdrivers and maybe a power driver.

And played with fucking snap-together lego-like toys.

You can build a PC, the lion is in the details regarding specifics that're irrelevant to most people.


Go to any of the links posted in this video and you're set.

Literally. Buy it, screw some things together (with a magnetic screwdriver, and fingertips) snap others into various slots. Maybe read a couple booklets that come with the components.

And you're good to go.
Avoid doing this while wearing clothes that generate excess static charge and you will be fine. (Discharge into the PC components maybe cause permanent damage, or malfunctions)
>>
>>924540
>the case looks P4 era
I dunno, I'm sure it wouldn't look out of place in the mid-late 90s when everyone's grandma was going "ooh Intel Pentium INSIDE wow now I can play Monopoly on multimedia CD-ROM with full FMV video, double clicking @ the information supermotorway like on the telly"
>>
>>924331
OP, just use http://www.logicalincrements.com/ and http://www.pcpartpicker.com to pick out parts. This includes the price, lowest prices amongst other websites and more. It also shows compatibility with parts so you don't have to do much guessing work.

I've built two beastly ass pcs in the last 5 years and both times I felt nervous but when I got the parts, it was go time.
>>
>>924662
Im still running a core2 with ddr2. There havnt been many advances in real world cpu technology or its use for like 10 years. Mostly because the people writing apps are only using a single core still and the cpu multipliers of 40x or higher are absurd for an instruction set that uses five cycles to run an instruction. Benchmarks show a difference but it doesnt translate to real world gains. A thousand dollar gpu would be nice but my 300$ graphics card does fin on high detail for all games.
>>
>>925618
> There havnt been many advances in real world cpu technology or its use for like 10 years.

Erm, yeah there have.

Firstly, your modern CPU is clocked twice as fast as your core2.
Secondly, your modern CPU can actually clock a single core up further, if it's executing single-threaded code and starving one core.
Thirdly, your modern CPU doesn't take five cycles to run one instruction, it issues and finalises multiple *instructions* per *clock*.
Fourthly, if you think, in an era where budget laptops have four SM threads, and cellphones have eight full cores, that people are writing single-threaded code, you're sadly mistaken.

Sandy Bridge was an architectural revelation, just as much as Core was.
>>
>>925618
A core 2 and ddr2 is still fast enough for most people, I have a q8400 with 4gb ram( 2x2gb) running Linux mint on the igpu at my parents place when I visit.
It's plenty for YouTube, facebook, and web browsing. I know something still using a p4 and windows xp against my advice.
>>
>>925623
>multiple instructions per clock
Electricity doesnt work that way.
>programmers are optimizing their code on a per device basis
Yeah this doesnt work either. The whole way that programming an app works is that they need to work on as many devices as possible. So you get inefficiency. The reason that consoles can run, from a far cheaper device, similar pc games at a higher performance to price ratio is that the consoles are sold at a loss because licensing and because the apps are developped for a very specific hardware setup.
>>
File: images (6).jpg (25 KB, 531x277) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
images (6).jpg
25 KB, 531x277
>>925682
>consoles are sold at a loss
You know that's not true.
A console is much easier to optimise for because it's a single device, compared to a pc. Thousands of different combinations of graphics cards and processors.

Also consoles use a low level API which means developers get to work much closer to the actual hardware more when developing as opposed to a high level API like directx11 or opengl.

Current gen consoles are extremely cheap because they're using AMD APUs.
Sure, the ps4 is using a custom APU, but did you check what it is?
A cut down hd 7850 with 2 quad core laptop processors.

Consoles are cheap because that's what they are. That's why a lot of the time they're just 720p 60fps or 1080p 30fps.

Fortunately dx12 is a low level API so pc should soon be seeing similar performance gains to consoles.
Hopefully.
>>
>>925686
>You know that's not true.
except it is.
Nintendo is the only one who doesnt sell at a loss.
>>
>>925718
[citation needed]
>>
>>925725
>he cant google something that has been common knowledge for a long time

There is a reason the PS3 was originally 600$, and then when there was a price drop they axed backwards compatibility to push more PS3 game sales (for profit of course)
The fucking CEO of Sony said the PS4 was being sold as a loss at launch.

Why do you insist on being a retard?
>>
>>925730
Why do you insist on sharing a shitty opinion without citing your sources?

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/155521-playtation-4-sony-announces-the-ps4-wont-be-sold-at-loss

You're thinking of the PlayStation 3 you fucking moron.
>>
>>925730
>he can't google something that has been common knowledge for a long time

Whelp, that sure backfired.
>>
I'm working on my first build myself and I think I got it right but I'm not sure. I mounted, installed. And wired everything. The motherboard lights up and the CPU cooler and fans all turn on however I don't get display. Is it just the gpu or is it something more?
>>
>>925745
No beeps?
Everything plugged in right?
Ram in the proper slots?
>>
>>925736
>>925742
>posting the ONE website that says it wont be sold at a loss, from may 2013
>literally ignoring all the other newer ones from September 2013(inlcuding Forbes) that say they will in fact be sold for a loss now that they had the hardware set in stone

Your google abilities are quite poor it seems
>>
>>925745
Remove grqphics card, use on board graphics, one ram stick. Then boot. If it still doesnt work, swap out the ram stick. Try booting again. Make sure all power connectors are connected to the motherboard.
>>
>>925682
>Electricity doesnt work that way.
https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-order_execution
https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superscalar
https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_level_parallelism

You should maybe learn even the rudiments of computer architecture before opining on it?
>>
>>925823
>simple
Subtle, I like it.
>>
>>925623
> multiple instructions per clock
I can understand pipelining but you say issue and finalise whatever that means
>8 cores in a cellphone
What a fucking waste
> single threaded
I have written a few things that benefited from parallel execution but I doubt many software actually need this thing or can make use of it efficiently
>>
>>925848
You'd have to really go out of your way to find a single-core processor nowadays.

If you want your code to not run like shit, you need to use threads.

This was always true anyway, but it's even more true now that compaqs have dual-core celerons in them.
>>
File: 20160106_200347-1.jpg (689 KB, 2582x1936) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
20160106_200347-1.jpg
689 KB, 2582x1936
>>925850
I just found a single core athlon laptop.
Upgraded the ram from 512mb to 1gb a few minutes ago.
>>
>>925867
>Designed for Windows XP
Where did you buy it, Gallifrey?
>>
>>925013
Don't you just love the people who have that "muh sekrit club" mentality. That subreddit is good and you should feel bad.

Reddit is literally the same as 4chan. Some good and some bad.
>>
>>925850
Sure they are common but I would say its more to do with multitasking than the rise of multithreaded software.
>>925823
None of this explains executing multiple instructions on a single core in a single cycle
>>
>>925872
It's not just the people that use it, many don't agree with voting posts.
If you love reddit so much why don't you stay there
>>
>>925879
Yes it does; you're just too stupid to get it.
>>
>>924331
2 things right off the bat
Get a good motherboard(intel or asus) 100+
- get an intel i7 processor on sae for 239
Dont shortcut those items as they are the base for an awesome upgradable system.
>>
>>924331
>>924795
Intel core 2 duo 3ghz extreme
Nvidia gt660
12 gig ram.
Still handles everything including Fallout 4
Get on mag level
>>
File: 20160106_203540-1.jpg (1 MB, 2981x1677) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
20160106_203540-1.jpg
1 MB, 2981x1677
>>925870
My father no longer wanted it.
I'm installing Linux on it today. Also redid the thermal paste because it was pretty old
>>
>>925848
>What a fucking waste
I know, right? Children in Africa could have eaten those cores…
>>
File: sohungry.jpg (126 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
sohungry.jpg
126 KB, 1280x720
>>926129
Shut up and eat your pentium 4
>>
>>925028
If you actually killed a rated 860W that way, you either have so many drives that you really should be running some kind of dedicated storage, have some tarted up watercooling that's drawing WAY too much juice for a single card and a cpu, or you had some kind of unrelated short or failure...

Because a decent 860w should be extreme overkill for any single card system.
>>
>>926265
Crap power supply's always have inflated ratings to sound competitive in the marketplace, in reality they shouldn't be trusted with a 9 foot barge pole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6snWfd1v7M
>>
>>926265
29 Australian dollars friend.
You won't find anything but generics at that price range.
It was the shaw trifan 860w power supply, and it was terrible.
My specs when it died was i7 870 @ 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, 4 hard drives and one SSD, gtx 670 and a few case fans.
Luckily only the 3 hard drives died, they must have been pretty close to dying.

http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/the-2012-el-cheapo-power-supply-roundup/4/#Shaw-P4-S860V

That's a previous model of the power supply. As you can see, it did fairly well for a generic, but nowhere near its rated output.

Also just for comparison, 29 aud should be pretty close to 20 usd.

I was a fool for believing in something too good to be true.
>>
>>926288
Unfortunately the only certification system is 80plus. Its the only way to be guarenteed that the power supply will be at least 80% of its rated value.
>>
>>926336
Sheeeeet nigga, i bought that thing. Lasted 3 months before blowing my rig. To be fair i was playing mass effect in 40 degree heat with it though. Luckily not too much damage but my sound system got blown to fuck, developped a hiss that it never had before after that.
>>
>>925887
How can a single core execute two instructions at the same time? It can be fetching or decoding while executing but to execute two in the same cycle would require pretty much by definition a second core.
Perhaps you could give an example of what you mean
>>
>>926129
> silicon is free
> large dies have better yield
> a phone needs to do 8 things at once
Oh wait.
That's not right is it.
>>
>>926350
80plus certifies that the power coming out is at least 80% of the power going in.

There's higher tiers with higher percentages.
>>
>>926356
https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-order_execution
https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superscalar

So long as there's no data hazard, the two instructions execute at the same time. Go read Hennessy and Patterson.
>>
>>926358
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE

Now hush, grown-ups are talking.
>>
>>926376
Yeah, but this guarantees that your 1000w ultrachink isn't a rebranded shirk 230w. I know its not perfect. And there should be some kind of certification system coming from Intel or some big hardware manufacturer. But this is all we have. In order to reach those power efficiency standards, it needs to provide that efficiency at the maximum rated power. So actually tested. And generally they're not going to skimp on 10c worth of components if they're aiming to meet quality targets like that.
>>
>>926410
My family is in computer retail and repair and I'm sorry to say even 80+ isn't foolproof.
I've seen some knock off 80+ power supplies, if I'm at my families store tomorrow I'll send a pic of one my mother bought without realising they were fake.
She still doesn't understand the concept of 80+.
>>
>>926413
Yeah I bought a fake 80+ off eBay once. Got my money back. The good thing is that they maintain a public list of certified hardware. And it's not like that shitty windows approved sticker bullshit. You just go to the website and check to see if it's on the list. If it's fake, then you know its double shit because they spent the extra money faking their certification, knowing it wouldn't pass.
>>
>>926410
>w
>>
>>926439
Does 80+ actually test (and therefore certify) that the power supply delivers what it promises?

My understanding was that it tests (and therefore certifies) the efficiency only.

Thus you can make a 200w power supply, get it certified (which it'll pass because it consumes 240w and delivers 200w), then market it as a Bogotron Black Mamba Extreme 1200w+.
>>
>>924331
Any good gaming system is going to cost but look into Unubutu. You can print out the install instructions plus the equipment used is normally cheaper. Good research will show you what you need, specifically.
>>
>>926492
I am pretty sure that it must deliver that efficiency at the rated load. Because power supplies have an efficiency curve. Otherwise every power supply is 100% efficient when its off.
>>
>>926492
Also, they specify that the power supplies must be recertified with any change, in each country its sold in, any modification to the board, and rebranding. So it won't show up on their official list which you can find on the 80plus site.
>>
>>924331
Go to youtube and watch the Newegg videos on how to build one. That is how i got started
>>
>>926492
Yes, because they test the efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% load iirc.

If it fails any tests it fails the 80+ standard.

Of course an OEM can use a golden sample for 80+ testing and then send out mediocre units, and the test doesn't cover ripple, so it's not foolproof.
>>
>>926604
But at least they need to send a sample. It cuts out the biggest perpetrators which were rebranding faggots cutting an extra fan slot and throwing in an extra two fans, uprating it to sell for more. This was a huge problem, even name brand companies were doing it. Thing is, inefficiency is nearly all heat. So by over rating the supplies, they were pushing the heat in the system wqy up. Which dramatically lowers component life. A cheap knockoff capacitor rated for 85C will bust when its run at 90C fairly quickly. This on top of the fake capacitor problem, with high quality fakes making it difficult to identify them without disassembly. When you double the rated load of a power supply, it may run fine. But your efficiency curve can drop down to 30%. Meaning you can be drawing 1800w to power your 600w load.
>>
>>926688
It might be better now but companies still do it.
Aywun is at the higher end of the budget power supplies, and personally I'd trust them enough for a budget pc because I understand that I get what I pay for.
This one is rated at 80+ silver, tested 2 different power supplies. The first one failed at 500w but had excellent ripple suppression, and then there's the second one that was able to run at 550w but had horrible ripple suppression.

http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/aywun-silver-series-a1-550s-power-supply-review/2/

For a psu I got for $60 Australian, I'm very happy with it.

Would I use it for high end hardware? No.
But it's plenty for an i3 and gtx 960, since that should be around the 50% sweet spot during games and it is 80+ silver.
>>
>>926702
yeah I've got an aywun, for what was a very high end system in its day. the best, last core2 made. 3.2Ghz dual core shit. it was an upgrade from the q6600 quad core because multithreading wasnt a thing in games yet. and some ridiculous three fan graphics card. its stayed strong pretty well.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10
Thread DB ID: 392356



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.