[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer chairs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 11

File: 1451837071824387744281.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
1451837071824387744281.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
My computer chair is kill. Thus thing is only a few years old and the leather is all cracked and the padding is all gone.

I'm certain many of you spend a lot of time in your computer chair so what's the solution. I'm sick of buying a new chair every few years.

/diy/ myself a chair or just spend the money on a high end Herman Miller?
>>
Nothing lasts forever. That's the simple answer.
>>
>>924238
I don't think anyone is here for the simple answer.
>>
i spend 10 hours a day in mine and go through a chair every year or so. there really isn't shit you can do aside from keep buying chairs. i've spent anywhere from $50 to $800 on a single chair and i can tell you they all last just as long so don't even bother spending a lot. they simply aren't built for heavy use

my current chair was $400 and now a little over a year later there's no padding left and i'm literally sitting on the piece of wood left over
>>
>>924241
have you tried any high end ones like steelcase or herman miller? the mesh style ones? they come with long warranties
>>
File: 19230.jpg (23KB, 532x750px) Image search: [Google]
19230.jpg
23KB, 532x750px
Damn that looks like a comfy ass chair. Pic related that's what I'm sitting on cuz I don't feel like spending a couple hundred bucks on a chair, i'm currently searching the classifieds for a used one.

As for chair maintenance I'd buy a bottle of leather conditioner and apply it every once in a while to keep the material hydrated. If the padding is gone take an old pillow and stuff the chair back up.

I'd also advise not to sit butt ass naked cuz body sweat wears out the leather.
>>
>>924242
http://www.amazon.ca/Designer-Modern-Herman-Miller-Aeron/dp/B00US54SGE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1451839689&sr=8-4&keywords=aeron+chair+by+herman+miller

i think it lasted like a year and a half. over the last 10 years or so i've tried lots of different brands and styles but none seem to last. fuck the longest chair i had was some shitty camping chair that lasted like 2 years

the single being problem seems to be if you're the type that moves around a lot it causes the fabric to wear and stretch then eventually rip. the same thing happens to the padding but it also gets moved around and rips into pieces which also move around. the padding generally gets pushed to the sides leaving less and less between the cover fabric and the base causing the cover to rub against the base and wear even faster. generally things seem to be good for 8 months or so then things rapidly go to shit

i have been thinking about trying to make my own with an easily replaceable seat and a few ideas i've had to help limit wear.
>>
>>924250
>the single being
biggest

too tired for this shit
>>
File: Bow Arm Morris Chair.jpg (119KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Bow Arm Morris Chair.jpg
119KB, 400x400px
>>924232
I use a chair identical to this one
When the upholstery or padding get bad, they are replaceable as they are removable
Lower than a computer/desk chair, so I just lowered my desk and monitor
I could sit in this thing for days if I didn't need to piss/shit
>>
>>924269
that looks terrible for your back

>>924250
i also want something thats easier on my back. i already have back problems and sitting in a chair for hours always makes it worse so getting an ergonomic chair is important too. i move around a lot in my chairs because my back starts to hurt when i sit in the same position for a long time which im sure destroys chairs faster.

i think i just need to attach my computer to a treadmill or something
>>
>>924273
my back is also the exact reason i move around as much as i do. the more you move the more the chair wears and the more the chair wears the more you have to move, fucking brutal cycle

almost need to buy a nice high end chair and rig up the seat with something custom. the back of the chair seems to last damn near forever so it's not really an issue. maybe if you take the seat off and strip it down to the base you could put a protective layer between the base and the padding and another layer between the padding and the cover. from there if you could use heavy duty stitching in sections(like squares) to prevent the padding from moving around. if you wanted you could also just replace the cover with some really thick leather but i'd save that for when the original cover wears out then you can replace the padding too
>>
File: desk_in_use.jpg (38KB, 464x425px) Image search: [Google]
desk_in_use.jpg
38KB, 464x425px
>2016
>not having a wheelie desk
>>
toss an airhawk pad on your old chair and see how far it gets ya.

some prefer a sheepskin rug but you can't wash those, and that's terrible.
>>
>>924273
Do you use a foot rest, if not try one. I don't really get any back problems at all since raising my feet up. I also have the chair lower than i used to so I cant hunch up to the desk, but all this depends on your back and muscles, might make no diff to you.
>>
This is what I use. I only spend 2 or 3 hours in it per day max though. Been using the same one for five years.
>>
File: kneeling-chair-10826385.jpg (92KB, 957x1300px) Image search: [Google]
kneeling-chair-10826385.jpg
92KB, 957x1300px
>>924328
Of course I forgot the picture.
>>
File: treehouse-of-horror-iv19.png (186KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
treehouse-of-horror-iv19.png
186KB, 512x384px
>>924330
go to bed lisa
no i dont have the right picture
>>
>>924317
my chair is up high to match the height of my desk. im not sure if a foot rest would help. i guess ill try a shoebox for now and see. although since i move around a lot i rarely have both feet flat in front of me

>>924330
i was thinking of one of these to force better posture but it might end up being more tiring over the hours
>>
>>924232
why dont you just, take the chair and get it reupholstered and add more padding? hell

you can even lay there those bead shit that cab drivers uses for back massagges
>>
>>924232
Question regarding chairs also:

The gas spring/pneumatic spring started leaking oil and at some point stopped working completely.
The chair was like 250 shekels and aside from that is perfectly fine.
Can I safely remove that piece of shit and replace it? I am kind of scared of getting some new spring that will burst into my rectal hole at some point.
>>
It might look a bit ghetto depending on your abilities. But have you thought about pulling off all the old material and padding and installing your own? I recently repaired and reupholstered an old captain's chair. It had already been refurbished at some point in its past; the upholstery was stapled to a piece of chipboard that had been bolted to the chair, which made it easy to remove and replace. You could do something similar without having to build a chair from scratch. I wouldn't go with synthetic leathers, though, that shit will always crack and peel over time.
>>
If it's real leather, It dries and breaks if you don't take care properly. If You don't want to buy products made especially for the caring of leather, You Can buy those creams for the hydration of skin. It May be a bit late now
>>
>>924728
I dont think you will have any problem with those, since they are hydraulic, the ones who build pressure, are the ones filled with nitrogen, those can end up in your rectum
>>
>>924232
If you want to diy it why not get a nice seat out of a car then attach some wheels to it?
>>
File: 213Gq7UWTOL.jpg (7KB, 500x176px) Image search: [Google]
213Gq7UWTOL.jpg
7KB, 500x176px
>>924748
>gas spring
sounds to be like a nitrogen spring
>>
>>924755
lol seen this done, its not as easy as you think.
>>
File: sedile lancia K.jpg (39KB, 647x863px) Image search: [Google]
sedile lancia K.jpg
39KB, 647x863px
I simply yanked out the passenger seat from my old 1998 lancia K before getting it wrecked and had the local "wood worker" make a stool for it.. Cost me 30€. it's just 4 screws to attach it.. i had the stool made a bit longer so i don't have to worry of it tipping over when i recline it for moovie watching
>>
>>924789
actually, its stupid easy, it just needs a little bit or work
>>
>>924785
>>924728
anyone ever done this? I just removed the safety cap. In videos people just hammer on that shit to loosen the spring but I am kind of scared that I'll get fragged by that thing if there is still gas in it.
>>
>>924880
That is a legit concern. A guy in China got arse raped to death by an exploding nitrogen spring.
>>
File: 76894521.jpg (125KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
76894521.jpg
125KB, 960x720px
>>924755
>>924789
>>924812
Van seats are the best to use
The reason?
MOTHERFUCKIN ARM RESTS
And they sit higher so its easier to attach them to something. Mine is on a hobo freight caster cart.
>>
>>924886
that was like 7 years ago though.

where I live these things are under constant examination, are certified and have high safety standards since the nineties
>>
>>924894

>dat tv

When I visited America a couple of times recently the best vehicles I ever rode in were minivans.
>>
>>924903
>7 years ago
>since the 90s
>>
>>924905
the guy in china was 2009.
90s had some accidents in germany. dont think anyone died though - except 1 person (that's like a fairy tale though. it is said the guy got literally anally impaled and the thing shot right into his head)
>>
>>924903
Are they certified safe to wail on them with a hammer, or just certified safe to sit on?
>>
>>924922
probably the latter.
>>
>>924232
>Thus thing is only a few years old and the leather is all cracked and the padding is all gone.
>leather
No.
>>
>>925010
Kek, this exactly.
Not sure who told you it was leather, but it's either straight vinyl or the worst, thinnest suede you've ever seen that's been vinyl coated and still falls apart in the same time.

Either pick apart the chair cover and sew up a new one, or go to your local wrecker and buy yourself a nice bucket seat and attach it to a gas lift or stand yourself; either way you have a working gas lift on the chair you have that may come in useful.
>>
>>925010
probably that plastic-coated semi-leather, i forget what they call it, bonded, bicast? it uses the crappy stretchy grainless flesh that's shaved off the bottom of the hides. some countries allow it to be called genuine leather although it's more like imitation vinyl desu.

fucking, it's the mcnugget of leather.

there's also 'leather' made from shredded reconstituted leather scraps coated in PU but i don't think that cardboard garbage would have lasted even a year under anon's ass before the seams ripped out.
>>
>>925030
Same happened to mine, but I got 5 years out of it for 50 bucks.

Just Plasti-Dip the whole thing.
>>
>>925030
yeah its bonded leather. but i dont even really care about the finish too much its the fact that its uncomfortable to sit in. i just want a chair that doesn't hurt my back after a few hours. fucking sucks having a bad back.
>>
>>925124
Have you tried exercising...? I'm not trying to troll, but if a chair is hurting your back while nothing you've done has fixed it, you might benefit from getting out of it every once in a while.
>>
I have a different issue, got a mesh back chair for christmas and had to return it because headrest and I'm too tall (6'4"). Any suggestions for a chair that's not $600 that will be mesh back and have a headrest that won't fuck my posture worse by sitting right on my shoulders?
>>
>>924242
If you buy a good chair they will last a long time and be comfortable. Your ass and back will get used to it if it stays consistent rather than sagging and getting slowly broke down over time. No more feeling the plywood under your ass, nerves pinched in the back of your legs, the squeezing, bowen out hydraulics, or the worst, chairs that sag to the left or right. And, even though you think you are getting 2 years out of a cheap chair, you are probably only getting 4 months of comfort and then 20 months of having your back reshape itself constantly to keep up with such a "dynamic" chair.

Find a place that sells used office furniture. Businesses won't buy that shit for themselves and when used dealers buy a lot it is usually huge. They sell it cheap.
>>
>>924232
whenever part of mine breaks, I just keep an eye out for office chairs sitting by dumpsters, then frankenstein the two.
I'm sitting in a chair built out of, I think, three chairs.
>>
File: 20150220_140849.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150220_140849.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>924232
Consider a different approach, OP.
>>
File: 1408424049972.jpg (30KB, 345x350px) Image search: [Google]
1408424049972.jpg
30KB, 345x350px
>>925274
How fat do I need to get to have my insurance cover this?
>>
What annoys me the fuck is that the chairs just won't last.
My current one is totally ruined (~15 years old). I used some cushions for padding currently. The armrests broke so I bolted them back on. When the gas spring broke I welded it. That broke too a few years later so I had to weld again.

However...

I bought 4 or 5 new chairs over the years and not a single one of them was as comfy. If I just ha the right tools (lathe, milling) I would totally redo the scrap chair to last for decades.
>>
http://www.needforseatusa.com/computer_chair_pro_gaming

I have this one in red it's great, I literally sleep in it and spend 16+ hours a day sitting in it sometimes as well.

I highly recommend it
>>
>>925308
pricey, but look really great. too bad their german store is far away from where I live, else I'd try them out.
>>
>>924894
Van Seats?
in the auto realm of Vegas we call them Captains Chairs. idk if its odd. just a fun fact
>>
I inherited my uncles chair when he opted out a year or so ago. Its like 90% Steel. Its showing no signs of wear except discoloring of where my butt touches the fabric(Workpants. not pee or poo i swear). If i had any idea where this chair can be bought id share. But its a secret unc took to his grave.
>>
>>924241
I've had my Obus for 15 years and it is still in great shape. I thought it was unreasonable to have to replace the arm rests. Probably half as much use as yours. You must have one fat ass after sitting in a chair for 10 hours a day.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.