[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I built a TV stand some time ago and it's served me alright,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: aa.jpg (96KB, 1003x739px) Image search: [Google]
aa.jpg
96KB, 1003x739px
I built a TV stand some time ago and it's served me alright, but I need to build a new one a little smaller (height requirements) and a bit sturdier (first one was mostly melamine mdf and L brackets, it's pretty sleek though if I do say so myself.)

I want to do something similar to this image, with a heavy/solid kind of wood. It looks kind of hilarious, but sort of practical, and simple enough to build. I don't know anything about wood though. I don't want to spend too much time talking to people at the hardware store, so I'd like an idea of what sort of things I'd need.

Is this the sort of thing you would glue together? Or should I probably pick up screws and I guess wood filler too. I also can't decide if I want to stain it or paint it. Definitely not white though.
>>
>>923509
Use pine boards

Glue and screw is plenty strong enough and what you should use because it doesnt need to prep any joint

Paint or stain really is a personal choice, just a cosmetic thing
>>
>>923516
I'm going to need at least two inches thick or so, looks like. I'm not seeing too many of those though, mostly 2x4s and 2x8s, and this stand is more like a foot deep at least.

Assuming I don't find more stock at the actual store, would I just be glueing two boards side by side?
>>
>>923526
>glueing two boards side by side

That is one way of doing it

Get a scraper or just razor blades to scrape/level out the surface if you want
>>
File: rxr2002_3figC_biscuits_lg.jpg (36KB, 616x462px) Image search: [Google]
rxr2002_3figC_biscuits_lg.jpg
36KB, 616x462px
>>923509
Why not use biscuits? Pretty easy and strong.
>>
>>923526
They sell 2x12s. But how much weight are you putting on the stand? Unless you're going to be putting a lot of weight on it, 2x is overkill.
>>
>>923528
No biscuit cutter, could use dowels I guess though.

>>923538
Mostly I just like the look, though I'm sure most of the picture I posted is some hollow composite board.

But I feel like thicker solid wood would have a lot more, like, side to side rigidity at the joints, which is what I'm more worried about than.. compression? I'm not much of an engineer. But anyway the TV isn't actually going on the stand and my equipment probably weighs less than 20 lbs.
>>
>>923554
For looks, you can do what you want. Nothing less than 3/4" thick, MDF to hardwood would work. Basic glue and screw butt joints will hold.

You can even put 2x at the back of the cavities where it sit flush with the wall, screw the 2x in good to the shelving unit and bolt the whole thing to studs in the wall and have it off the floor. That's how my desk is right now. I got bored and cut the bottom half off the desk and mounted it to the wall. Sticks out 19" and holds far more than 20 lbs.
>>
Use dowel s or dominos
>>
>>923799
Domino's (floating tenons) are over kill for this application.

OP should really consider investing in a biscuit jointer though.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.