[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone encountered an infomercial tool or gadget that was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 16

File: 76587875.jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
76587875.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
Has anyone encountered an infomercial tool or gadget that was actually worth getting?
>>
>>923183
No but I did once buy a pancake maker after seeing it on a cheesy infomercial, it turned out to be a decent bit of cooking gear that made wonderful pancakes.
>>
File: Robatti-1-300x215[1].jpg (12KB, 300x215px) Image search: [Google]
Robatti-1-300x215[1].jpg
12KB, 300x215px
>>923183
>2016
>Not owning a double drill
Its like you don't wanna be twice as productive kek
>>
>>923183
Thats just a rotozip knockoff with all the attachments.

I have a few as seen on TV Tools. None of them are popping out in my mind as being a must have tool desu.
>>
>>923183
they are literally meme tools.
as stated by others on here, fuck the shark vacuums, henry hoover all the way.

the thing is, good tools dont need advertising. I have never once seen a television ad for stanley or kinchrome for example. never seen an ad even. anyone who will pay 50$ instead of 2$ for a ratchet already knows which brands arnt complete shit.
>>
>>923183
No.
>>
>>923236
stanley ran a wheelbarrow jousting ad for their tape measures about 1000 years ago.
they ran viral ads for their weird crowbar thing too back in 07 or 08, you could click to smash stuff up and two contractors with nu joisey accents would insult you if you clicked the bunny.
it's died off though. i guess they found that product placements in reality tv worked better.
>>
>>923397
Actually for the same reason, knife salesmen shit on me for buying global.
>lelel meme brand faggot I bet you just saw this on master chef
I've been buying their knives for years.
>>
>>923194

and also twice as likely to stab yourself with the other end when you are handling it
>>
https://youtu.be/7gMPhY1gs5A
>>
>>923236
>hoover
pffft
Miele master race
>>
>>923428
Not everyone is skilled enough to be a dualdriller.
>>923236
>Stanley
>Good tools since you've been alive.
Wake me up
>>
>>923463
>>Stanley
>>Good tools since you've been alive.
Stanley was good once upon a time.
But I'm 54 so it might have been a while ago
>>
>>923183
I bought that stuff from Ron Popeil. He was the guy who invted the Ronco Electric Food Dehydrator and the rotisserie machine. "Set it and forget it."

His company "Ronco." made some decent stuff. I don't think they're in business anymore though.
>>
The drill dr. Is decent.
>>
>>923437
I actually have an old 90s Riccar I bought at a church sale for like 5$. I needed a cheap vacuum and had no idea it was a premium brand when I got it.
>>
>>923463
>>Stanley
>>Good tools since you've been alive.

They own Mac and Proto
>>
>>923551
It is and it isn't. Its a drill bit sharpener for people that don't know how to use a grinder. You know how much a replacement grinding piece costs for a drill doctor? About 2/3rd the price of the machine. No joke. Grinders are a hell of a lot more useful and do just as good a job after you learn how to do it.
>>
>>923657
>Its a drill bit sharpener for people that don't know how to use a grinder.

At my work we use a drill dr (the $700 one mind you) for everything below 3/4" because its way more convenient, consistent and faster than doing it by hand even for someone practiced in it. Also, new workers can be trained in 20min and do just as good a job as anyone. Above 3/4 I sharpen them by hand with a grinder and gauge, but drill dr is definitely faster for smaller bits.
>>
>>923657
it's some sort of diamond cup isnt it?
>>
Anons may not know who Ron Popeil is, but I'm betting they've heard of his cousin Ashley Tisdale.
>>
>>923463
>>923532
What makes Stanley tools shit now?

Their measuring tapes are alright by me but I suspect theyve become less and less durable over the years
>>
>>924703
How is an 80 year old man the cousin of the two tisdale sisters?
>>
George Foreman grill, which I dearly love and would rather cut off my left, hell, my right nut than get rid of it, and a kinda shitty rotisserie cooker I got for $10 that does a chicken or small turkey better than my oven.

Funny thing, the rotisserie cooker's box was plastered in "As seen on TV!" stickers, yet I have never seen it on tv.
>>
>>924720
>What makes Stanley tools shit now?
Stanley makes a hell of a lot more than measuring tapes. They used to make damn near any hand tool you could buy. They are probably most famous for their hand planes. The general consensus is that they started cutting costs about 1970 (give or take depending on the product) and quality suffered because of it. They were sourcing tools from Taiwan at least by the 1980's and almost everything they make on under that own name is from there or China now. Some of their other brands are still made in the USA and not everything that comes out of Asia is junk, but very little of it is as good as they were in their best years.

There was a time when companies would buy tools direct from Stanley. They would have their names stamped on them at the factory and everything because people would steal that shit they were so good. To this day you can find used Stanley tools with 'Bell System' stamped on them. Tools that were last made in the 50's and were used by a lineman out in the elements for 30 years, still worth buying used. Most tools made these days the plating is so thin they rust very easily. Drop them from 5 feet and they are toast, let alone from 30 feet up a pole.
>>
>>923183
Ninja Blender is the only one I can recommend. That thing blends the shit out of everything I have thrown in there
>>
>>924787
God, I hate you "everything made now is crap, anything made in the past is better" people.
I was born in 1946, and let me tell you, the 50's and 60's and 70's were just as full of crap tools as today. The only reason you think cheap crap tools are a thing of the present is because only the good tools survived this long.

In 80 years, people will be bitching about how their laser spanners are all cheap junk compared to the precision machined adjustable wrenches of the '20s.
>>
>>924799
Old fart here. Agree 100%. I do woodworking at a local makerspace. If I hear another 25 year old go on about how people don't know how to make quality tools anymore. I'm going to take a swing at him.

There are just as many bands today that make quality tools as in the 50s. The difference is that the good quality ones survived and the shit ones were thrown away. Yet people insist on comparing the top of the line tools of yesteryear to the bottom of the line tools of today.

Couple that with the fact that people coddle their old tools like they're a new born baby because of the sense of pride. Whereas they abuse new tools.

Top of the line tools of today > top of the line tools of the past.
>>
>>923194
Oh I get it. You twist it so you don't have to change bits.

Meh.
>>
>>924799

Their handplanes suck monkey dick these days though. Not properly ground soles and they are not square anymore.
>>
>>924822
I was under the impression that tools of the time were good as well based on the materials used back then compared to plastic of today. Ill admit I have a set of grips, screwdrivers and random wrench set I use from the 70s 80s that were given to me

>>924787
The only Stanley anything I purchase as of now when needed are their measuring tapes. Didnt knnow about their history with companies and direct purchases. A shame that ended
>>
>>924799
>>924822
While true, and the quality of cheap import tools has vastly increased, there is still a visible decrease in quality of a lot of these tools.

Like over the last 10-15 years of buying tools I have had many occasions where I can buy a tool in older packaging that was {sometimes) USA made and visibly superior in quality to the newer one. And the decease in quality seems to have happened to almost every brand.

Not to say it's now a worthless tool, but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
>>
it's the way that brands are bought up, cheapened out until their reputation collapses, and then shucked off that really makes me mad.

i can't make a tool recommendation today because tomorrow it might be made by a bulgarian drunkard instead of a japanese robot.
>>
>>924864
>tools of the time were good as well based on the materials used back then compared to plastic of today

Pick up a decent screwdriver like a snap on, the plastics of today are vastly superior. And its not like you cant get standard clear stanley screwdrivers that look and feel identical to the cellulose screwdrivers of the past (without the awful puke smell)

And dont kid yourself, a couple year old Taiwanese Gearwrench is every bit as good or better as any old USA made wrench from the 70s.

You think that metallurgy technology hasnt changed in 50 years?
The tawainese are capable of putting out cheap and very good hand tools out of decent material. Its up to you to find a manufacturer that imports and brands them.

A few things are going on.
Old farts are having selective memory about how much they used to pay for tools, they want CHEAP tools, but they hate imported tools because of nationalism and because import tools have a reputation for being shit (because import tools in the 60s were bad).

The simple fact is, the average person used to pay a lot more for things than they do now.
Some top of the line receivers from the early 70s, 800-900$. Average people used to save up and buy them. That doesnt include Speakers, record player, tuner which were in their own right expensive too.
That receiver today ALONE would be close to 10,000$ after inflation. The average working class doesnt do that today.
Same idea for everything else, the TV, his power tools, the wifes sewing machine and kitchen appliances. All vastly more expensive in their day.

You get what you pay for, if you buy your wife a brand new Husqvarna Viking sewing machine its going to be a monster. You are going to pay out the ass for it though. You buy a 250$ Singer from walmart, its not going to be the workhorse that a 250$ machine years ago might have been.

The old consumers bitching have dictated the current market.
>>
>>924930
I agree with you in general but I think your section on audio is highly exaggerated. I've seen plenty of cheap junk audio gear even from before the 1980s when it became most common, and I think at lower wattages (which is all that most people really needed and the wattage wars were mostly a meme) high quality receivers could be had for more like $200-300 in the 70s. Also your inflation figures are more than twice the actual.
>>
>>924930
Thanks on the info. Next time I need something ill look into the taiwan market or I should say outside the US except for China

Not importing anything directly from the Chinese
I do know that anything woodwork related is top notch from the philippines. Im not sure about their tools
>>
>>924262
We really need to get one. We send bags of bits out weekly and I really think we'd save tons sharpening in house.
>>
>>924822
Not to mention cheap tools today are so much better than the cheap tools of yesterday.
>>
>>924998
Chinese made stuff can be great. It can also be shitty. right next to each other on the shelf with one digit of the batch number different. The steel is usually pretty good but not amazing, but the quality control and machining is generally terrible.
>>
>>925171
Fuck shit made from the fucking chinese

I know its a stupid thing to say considering most of the things we use comes from there

ALTHOUGH ill admit there a few things I can appreciate
>>
>>925199
Like >>925171 said, chinese tools can be great, because their manufacturing is the perfect example of "You get what you pay for" in that you're paying for them to spend extra time on QA and give a shit about your product.

Good luck finding out which lots are shitty and which aren't though.
>>
I use this thing alot. Cut back baseboards, cut caulking, scraping.
>>
File: IMG_20160107_094848474.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160107_094848474.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
Forgot pic
>>
>>923183
My dad used to have this ratcheting screwdriver that he was completely obsessed with. The handle was a plastic sphere about 3" in dia and you'd put the extension in one pole for forward and the opposite pole for reverse. It actually worked really well, but he way over-fetishized it and when he lost it he actually went through the full five stages of mourning. It was pretty grim.
>>
>>923193
Seconded, they are as good as low level profesional units.
>>
>>923183
anything billy mays sells.
>>
>>924930
I'd say the quality of top tier tools went way down, while the quality of the middle if the road shit went up. So they're about equal. The price of the top brands stayed the same, or went up, while the other brands stayed relatively the same too. The bottom tier garbage is still garbage. It's not worth it to buy snap on shit when you can get the same tools from Sears for a fraction of the price. The snap on asshole that comes to my work is selling an 10pc 1/2in drive socket set for $400. Yeah ok. The 13pc harbor freight set is 20$. They warranty them there too, but fuck it buy 5 sets.. you break 4 you still save 300$. I've broken more snap on sockets than any other brand i own. And i baby them because expensive. It's subjective i suppose. Some guys "need" top brand shit. Shoes, toys, etc. It's a dick waving thing. I just cant see spending +300% more for a product that's only 5% better. Or the same. Or worse.
>>
>>927874
But the brands that were great yesteryear isn't necessarily the good brands today. Top tier tool quality is up (I'm looking at you knives, chisels and planes) but these are not always easily available. Some are only sold to professionals and others you have to find on the internet, made by one man companies and sold by word of mouth.

As for the difference in price for sockets, this depends on the importance of the finish.If the screw-head finish is important then maybe the higher priced sockets /made to tighter tolerances) might be worth it, but then again, most often not. Cheap screwdrivers though, they tend to deform themselves and the screw-heads if the tolerances are too off.
>>
>>924799
Normally I'd agree with you, but too bad we're not talking about everything, we're talking about Stanley tools.
>>
>>927888
I'd agree with that. Some are worth it, most you dont "need".. Some prices are too insane to justify.
>>
>>924822
>>924799
>>924787
>>924930

Almost every single example of a crap tool manufactured in Asia under a once reputable brand name isn't because "the company" started cheaping out.

It's because an international conglomerate purchased the brand, closed down the expensive to operate american or german manufacturing facility, and moved production to Shenzhen or wherever.

They do this for the EXPLICIT PURPOSE of exploiting brand confidence in order to sell $50 at best drills to people for $250.

"Stanley" didn't go to shit, because "Stanley" hasn't made tools or even existed in 30 years. Some company that purchased the rights to stamp "Stanley" on their drills still makes drills, though.
>>
>>926473
was it black on one side and orange on the other?

if so my dad had the same one, and had the same grief when it was lost.
>>
>>926449
Came here to post this, I just picked one up from a dump shop for $15AUD, I'm going to try and cut some quick tennons with it.

I didn't know what to think of them, when I first saw them on TV I hated them for some reason. Just made a little test cut with it and it works well enough.
>>
File: Rockwell-Hyperlock-Sonicrafter.jpg (17KB, 550x175px) Image search: [Google]
Rockwell-Hyperlock-Sonicrafter.jpg
17KB, 550x175px
>>928944
Brand was rockwell, not that model though.
>>
>>928196
When you can build tools of similar quality for 500% less cost, while the market is consistently moving towards buying cheaper tools, you cant be surprised by this.

Those reputable brands are shutting down and selling out because its getting real hard to stay domestic and make a profit in the "diy level tools sold at Lowes" market.

The EXPLICIT PURPOSE of any company is to make money.
Blame your parents for creating the current market of tools.
>>
>>928949
Only thing that really gets me going about these is cutting pipe or conduit in a wall
>>
>>928949
>>928944
I have a Dremel branded one that I bought on clearance.
I used it to cut a square hole out of the side of a wooden cabinet.
Cut through the laminate particle board easily enough.

I almost choked when I saw how much new blades for the damn thing cost though. And I dont like how none of the accessories are standard, so you have to try and find adapters if you want to buy a different brand blade.
>>
>>928970
>I almost choked when I saw how much new blades for the damn thing cost though
Luckily it came with the only blade I wanted for it
>>
used to be a snobby tools master race but once upon a time in kmart (australia) i needed tools asap. bought a $5 1/4 inch ratchet and socket set. cheapest looking shit and came in a pencil case. i used it, and put it in the boot as a spare.

fast forward 3 months, has different wheel nuts on my car. snapped a 3/8 drive trying to get one of the nuts off.

legit used this $5 piece of shit 1/4 inch drive with a massive breaker bar on it to undo this wheel nut. its still going strong today.
>>
>>929000
> loosen a nut with an abused socket
> surprised when a brand new socket didn't break on a loose nut

It might be cheap anon but it can't break physics. The shaft of the 3/8 didn't break did it? So not particularly relevant
>>
>>924266
From the one I've seen, it appears to be several separate diamond grinding wheels. Didn't get a good look inside, so I may be wrong.
>>
>>929353
Watch the AvE teardown. Pretty neat, and funny. You'll probably learn a thing or two, too.
>>
>>928970
>>928971

I picked up a Milwaukee brand multitool this christmas. The tool came with a double sided adapter plate. Also picked up a dremel brand 9 piece blade
set for 30 bucks.

Be on the look out for deals during the holidays and fathers day

>all da sales.

Yeah buying in "bulk" might suck for your average diyer.

But we use ours at work till the teeth start disappearing.

>TFW you use a multitool to cut out part of an LVL for a Newell post anchor block.
>>
>>926473
>>928206
I have it. And its amazing. It is the best. so ergonomic. i will try to post a photo.
>>
>>924799
>I was born in 1946, and let me tell you, the 50's and 60's and 70's were just as full of crap tools as today.
And the only ones that weren't are the ones that are still around today. And those few surviving examples are the one that continue the delusion of "Older things are better".

Old power drills that have lasted until today have because THEY WEIGHT 10 EXTRA POUNDS which makes them durable, but really unpleasant to use regularly. So instead of getting used frequently they stay in the drawer unused. Enabling them to last even longer.
>>
File: pic001.jpg (290KB, 1824x1368px) Image search: [Google]
pic001.jpg
290KB, 1824x1368px
>>930263
Not this guy but I have a few.

Easy Driver. Black on the 'to loosen' end, red on the "to drive" end. The ones made before the patent was granted are a yellow/green and black. Originally made by Creative Tools Inc. in Bennington, Vt. As far as I can tell they trademarked it in 1972 (granted 74) and it expired in 1995. Haven't seen any ads for it past the 80's though. From what I understand another company did a short run of the things a few years back, but they sold out and didn't do another run. All the others out there are cheap knock-offs with turd ratcheting mechs. I've found several at yard sales though. Paid as little as 80 cents for one and the kit you see, which is complete, was $5. I've got 2-3 more stashed here and there but these are the ones I had at hand.

As ratcheting screwdrivers go its the best I've found. I still think Yankee screwdrivers edge it out in usefulness (that can also drill). Only thing I don't like, which is common to most screwdrivers of this type, is the shaft is too thick to fit in some places. Thats the downside of using a screwdriver that needs bits.
>>
>>930731

This makes too much sense. Anything that sees regular use isn't going to last longer than an unused item.
>>
>>930731
The problem you're got is that the brands are the same but the quality isn't.

Example: Stanley used to make great hand planes. When that became no longer profitable they cut costs and the quality gradually went to shit. Other companies that made less good planes from the start didn't have their reputation to live on and they went out of business. So Stanley is still around but their planes are garbage.

Proto/Plomb is another example. They used to overbuild their wrenches so that they were god damn indestructible. Look at the size of the jaws on that wrench? Its also very thick. About 25% thicker than a normal wrench. Now they are average.

DeWalt is a perfect example of this. From their founding in 1924 until 1989 they made one fucking tool: the radial arm saw. They originated it and they were the best builders of them in the world. In '89 they stopped making radial arm saws and sold the company (but not the brand) to another firm. In 1992 Black & Decker started using the DeWalt name on other tools because its was a known and trusted brand. Its now their 'high end' brand because the B&D name is so damaged with consumers and is now a 'low end' brand. You see this all over. Ryobi has Milwaukee, Skil has Bosch, Emerson has Ridgid, etc.

Can you still buy awesome tools? Absolutely. Its just most of the old brands that were known for quality are now just average and are making money off of their reputations at this point. Thats how corporations work these days. Money over anything else. If you want great tools, especially hand tools, you have to get them from specialty firms.
>>
>>931458
> Thats how corporations work these days. Money over anything else. If you want great tools, especially hand tools, you have to get them from specialty firms.

Its a smart move on the companies honestly.
Brand recognition on your average quality tools being sold in big box hardware stores.

A non professional needing a tool he will use only a few times, gonna grab the brand that he recognizes over some random brand (especially if comparable in price).
With that said, the parent company actually owns both names and is more likely to make any sort of sale.

Its just how it is, luckily these cheap average tools tend to work well enough.

FWIW my best friend is getting a degree in aviation mechanics. His teacher buys broken down planes, has the students work on them, then he resells the planes for profit for the program.

Every single one of his personal tools is from harbor freight, barring his torque wrench. All the students have full blown SnapOn/Matco/Mac toolboxes because of student loans and student discounts. Kinda funny if you think about it.
>>
>>931458
Yo best stop talking shit about Ridgid. Best fucking set of powertools I have ever owned.

>Hard day on site, tired as fuck
>Accidentally left skill saw and grinder outside, batteries still in them
>Pissed down with rain overnight
>Shat my pants in the morning when I saw them
>Emptied water out of them, lots of it
>Left them to dry in the sun
>Still work like the day they came from the factory, batteries still fully charged
>>
These things are pretty handy
>>
File: rigidpetty[1].jpg (97KB, 800x1218px) Image search: [Google]
rigidpetty[1].jpg
97KB, 800x1218px
>>931809
Ridgid does not make power tools. Ridgid was a hand tool company that did mostly plumbing and pipe fitting related stuff. And a really badass calendar. They were bought by Emerson Electric in 1966. Emerson used to make most of Craftsman stationary power tools. You know those terrible radial arm saws that can't cut strait and had defective safety features that resulted in a huge lawsuit and recall? That was Emerson. DeWalt and Delta never had to deal with such foolishness with their radial arm saws.

Emerson continues to sell Ridgid's traditional line of tools but have also slapped the well known Ridgid brand on other things not actually made or designed by them. Emerson's own brand is so damaged to consumers I don't think its even used anymore on consumer products. They used to be a big name in electronics too but they ruined that also. These days the only power tools Emerson makes under the Ridgid name are shop vacs. Everything else, like its stationary and portable power tools, are made by by others under contract and branded as Ridgid. Emerson got out of power tool manufacturing completely sometime around 2003 (they lost Sear's business in 1998) and had been farming out manufacturing of power tools to others long before that. In your case your portable power tools were made by TTI. Who are they? They are the people that own the Ryobi and Milwaukee brands of power tools. So your Ridgid is likely just a Milwaukee with a different casing for branding reasons.

To sum up you've completely missed the whole point of my post and made yourself look like an idiot. You can't trust corporate branding anymore. I hang out on a couple of different forums and I'm constantly hearing people, in the same breath sometimes, praise one brand and badmouth another when they are made by the same company. I've seen it here a lot too.
>>
>>931891
Ouch just got schooled by one of the famous tool autists of /diy/.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9B60dqDAho
>>
>>931898
Holy shit. Maximum cringe has now been reached.
>>
>>931898
The absolute worst thing about that video?

Spraying your controller/keyboard/mouse off with dust off is AWFUL.
It will leave the "bitterant" on it, so if you touch it and then not wash your hands before you eat, your mouth will be filled with awful bitter taste.

Its to dissuade you from huffing it, it has dissuaded me from using the product altogether.
>>
>>931895
> Someone knows more than me
> Instead of thanking them for taking the time to offer this insight, I'll call them an autist.
> This will motivate people like him to keep that good shit up.

Ladies and gentlemen, the cancer of /diy/. Get your screenshots right here.
>>
>>931901
Fucking this. You can't use it at all without everything tasting like ass. Punishing the majority of us because of a few stupid kids.

What's even in there to get high on, anyways? Some flavor of perfluorocarbon?

I wonder if anyone makes a sprayer for CO2/Whippet cartridges? That way I don't have to worry about contaminating whatever I'm spraying with oil from my air compressor.
>>
File: jawvsjaw[1].jpg (68KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
jawvsjaw[1].jpg
68KB, 400x300px
http://hackaday.com/2016/01/18/whats-in-a-tool-a-case-for-made-in-usa/

Same basic wrench from the same company. One made in the US and one in China. Guess which one is better? The article has insights as to why though. Its not just a cost or a country of origin thing. Good reading.
>>
>>932225
Made my day. I picked up a set of stamped Crescents for work not too long ago for cheap.

Nice little read.
>>
File: 20900_700x700.jpg (72KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
20900_700x700.jpg
72KB, 700x700px
>>923183
The Little Giant ladder ads used to run non-stop and they are a good product. I think their patent ran out or something and lots of companies make similar. I really like my (other brand) one.
>>
Does a squatty potty count?

I guess I'm not sure it does either since I just whipped one up out of 2x2s and plywood.

Great pooping though.
>>
>>931891
Well, there are some more to remember. First is that R&D is often still done in Europe or America. Second is that you're not really paying the Chinese for production. The differentiating factor is the quality control and how much time the workers are allowed to get it right. So the same manufacturer can make tools in a range of qualities. (and far too many brands chooses cheapest possible)
>>
File: newworkmate02[1].jpg (320KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
newworkmate02[1].jpg
320KB, 1600x1200px
>>932466
I have several Black & Decker Workmates. When they first started making them they were mostly cast aluminum (or aluminium, don't want to get the Brits in a tizzy like that other thread), very well built and basically indestructible. First they started reducing costs by using steel instead of aluminum. Then They replaced the plywood tops with particle board (they've since gone with bamboo, which is an improvement). Then they started changing the design to simplify it and reduce costs. The current generation of Workmates are crap compared to the old ones. Flimsy, prone to rust and not anywhere near the weight capacity or durability of the old ones. They are lighter though.
>>
File: nutbuster.jpg (13KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
nutbuster.jpg
13KB, 300x400px
>>931812
I'm gonna second that.

and add this badboy
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>932960
aw shit when I werktd at sears I used to play with those things allatime. We used to turn them on each other's knuckles like medieval thumscrews and see who could take the most pain and horror.

Also, link related:

https://youtu.be/_MgAHe-rLQo
>>
>>932960

Fuck that thing, and everything else in the "I'm just going to round off every fucking fastener you point me at" isle in sears.
>>
>>924768
>you can cut off your left hand, and cook it with your right in HALF THE TIME, and the fat and grease just drains away
>>
>>924768
brah is that the ronco showtime rotisserie thingy? i was considering getting one, i've heard good things. also, i got a foreman grill for xmas but sent it back because i'm not allowed to cook.
>>
>>923437
>not repairing and using grandma's Electrolux vac.
areyouevenhandy?
>>
>>931901
I use airduster all the time... if you flip the bottle upside down you can use it to test bimetal defrost switches in fridges...
>>
>>931941
pretty sure you could get a portable bike tire inflator to use with the co2 cartridges... they make them for bikers who don't like carrying a hand pump...
>>
>>932975
>implying I'd ever take grandmas electrolux out of my diy hovercraft...
>>
>>924787
Truth. My grandfather was a lineman for Pac Bell. Still have some of his tools from the 50s and 60s
>>
File: 1-original.jpg (132KB, 592x792px) Image search: [Google]
1-original.jpg
132KB, 592x792px
>>932979
I have my great-grandfather's Estwing hammer from the 20s or 30s. The leather rings are all rotten and coming off, I should give it the full refurb treatment someday. Pic isn't my exact one...
>>
>>932974
>because i'm not allowed to cook.

Dorm?
Just hide that shit in the closet
>>
>>932989
no, not dorm. it's a long story. i had to move back "home" after some bad luck and life disaster, and everything i do here i get bitched at for. including laundry and "stinking up the house" by cooking. for months i've eaten nothing but raw food or stuff you boil water to make... ramen, pasta, oatmeal... salads, deli meats. even canned foods i pretty much eat cold because it "stinks" if i put spaghettio's in the nukrowave.

anway, no chance in hell of tossing some drumsticks on a foreman grill
>>
>>926449
Those things are wonderful. I use it for random cutting all the time.
>>
File: rr-02.jpg (35KB, 950x216px) Image search: [Google]
rr-02.jpg
35KB, 950x216px
The original infomercial one was well made.(1990's)
I've had several over the years and none were as high quality as the original.
>>
>>932996
I want the long version
>>
>>933152
like mother like son >:D
>>
>>933154
Oh you! :-DDDD
>>
>>933122
I had one of those in highschool. Someone stole it from my box in the art room when I was out for a week for a medical thing
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.