Hello and Happy New year /diy/
How should I correctly remove this corrosion from my cordless drills terminals and battery? I've tried scraping it off with a knife in the past but the blue-green stuff eventually comes back and causes contact problems.
I don't really know anything about chemistry but is there some kind of baking soda solution I can try? The battery's are nickel–cadmium (NiCd) if that helps.
Thanks anon, I will be sure to pick some up next time I venture into the hardware store.
Are there any chemical ways to remove the stuff that is already on there or at least soften it up ready for scraping? As it's quite hard and tough at the surface level.
Thanks, I'm going to give the vinegar a try tomorrow and will have a rummage around for the brasso.
Any idea what the green/blue stuff actually is? It only seems to form on the negative terminal.
OP here, just got done cleaning them and so far so good.
I used lemon juice+baking soda to make the green stuff dissolve and scrubbed the terminals with an old tooth brush. After cleaning with a paper towel I brushed the terminals off with brasso metal polish and again wiped it to a shiny finish with a paper towel.
I've tested them in the drill and charger and so far it appears to have worked with no more intermittent contact like there was before causing the drill to sputter on and off unless the battery was held in the right position.
The only thing I'm concerned about is that the brasso seems to have stripped away at the silver-chrome plating revealing the bare conductor underneath (probably copper). Will this cause the green stuff to come back even worse and should I maybe tin the exposed copper with solder?
I guess what >>923163 said about silicone dielectric grease is to help prevent this? If so I'll pick some up from the store.
Thanks again for the help /diy/.
Nonsense. The contacts work on a metal to metal spring fit.
Dielectric grease is a very commonly used item in electrical connections where humidity or the potential for corrosion exists.
>It's some kind of oxide, probably copper oxide, and it happens when the battery starts to die but is kept plugged into the circuit
Sounds plausible, they are several years old and the molded carry case box they are stored in requires you to keep the battery's installed in two of the tools (the kit has other power tools too).
There is probably a small quiescent current always being drawn too as the tools have active control modules inside with soft power switches.
It's also silicone based, and insulative.
It's called dielectric grease due to It's resistance to breakdown and not conducting at very high voltages.
A dielectric in it's own definition is an insulator.