[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laser musket prop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Z3tkSoK.jpg (140KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Z3tkSoK.jpg
140KB, 1920x1080px
So I tried asking /cgl/ about this, but they pointed me over to you guys instead.

I'm currently in the preliminary design stage of working on a Laser Musket prop from Fallout 4.

I have a general idea of how to make it happen, but there are two questions which I need to answer before I can start making serious progress.

1) The gears linked to the crank handle before the glass ionizing chamber. The rearmost and frontmost wheels rotate in an opposite direction to the central wheel. Would it be wise to use a system of planetary gears (with the frame holding the "planet" gears fixed to the stock while the "sun" and "ring" gears would be left free to rotate) to invert the central wheel's rotation relative to the other two, or would be a simpler way to do this involving belts/rubber bands?

2) The lighting system. In Fallout 4, the energy in the ionizing chamber and the laser beam focused along the barrel of the gun gain brightness and intensity as the handle is cranked and charged more. Would it be better to just set up a circuit that has a dimmer switch built into the crank handle as well as a set of LEDs in the chamber (so that each crank raises the brightness slightly) and a reset switch in the trigger? Or would it be better to build a simple AC generator into the rotating wheels behind the chamber, link it to a lighting system in the chamber and actually have the brightness dependent on how hard I crank?
>>
This question would be better asked to /k
>>
>>923273
Not really. Nigga is asking how to make 2 gears rotate the opposite way and asking if anyone has a better idea on the light up charging chamber.
I'd answer him but I don't know shit about first problem and I can't think of a better solution for second that isn't a terrible idea.
>>
>>923273
Oh please, if this question got asked in /k/, he'd be laughed out in 5 seconds and pointed at /toy/. Or here.
>>
>>923109
>Would it be better to just set up a circuit that has a dimmer switch built into the crank handle as well as a set of LEDs in the chamber (so that each crank raises the brightness slightly) and a reset switch in the trigger?

This is what I would do. You could set up a hand generator, but really, are you going to want to screw with it while using as a prop? Most props, the less you interact with them, the longer they'll last. A crank handle you need to spin is more likely to tear it up.
>>
The simplest way to make two gears move in opposite directions is to have a 3rd gear, perpindicular to both, driving both. The problem will be concealing this so it looks like the prop you want.

Hand cranked generators make fuck-all for power. I don't think even an LED will have a noticeable glow from one. Instead, you might be able to rig a potentiometer to one, plus some gears or belts arranged by someone more clever then I so it turns back and forth but doesn't max out, so that it brightens and dims as the crank turns.
>>
>>923109
My thoughts, after looking at a couple youtube videos showing how this thing works in the game:
1) you aren't very likely to find gears to make this thing work like you want and making gears of your own is pretty difficult and expensive. There's not really much room for real-actual-gears anyway.
2) It would probably be easier to make a prop for this using stepper motors to spin the moving parts, and an arduino to control the motors. The crank would be built on some kind of rotary sensor, it would not be an actual generator for anything.
3) the arduino would also be able to control the lighting/LEDs/laser properly too. And you could have a sound module and speaker in there to make the right noise.

If you built the front portion of the gun hollow, then there is enough room inside the thing to conceal the arduino and some batteries to run it.
China arduino Megas only cost $9; they are much cheaper than the official ones and they work exactly the same.
>>
File: megger4.jpg (96KB, 600x426px) Image search: [Google]
megger4.jpg
96KB, 600x426px
old hand cranked megger insulation testers cost like 10 bux, have loads of spinning gears, and create enough voltage to easily light any neon tube
>>
>>923375
>Hand cranked generators make fuck-all for power. I don't think even an LED will have a noticeable glow from one
Nigger are you serious? You have never seen hand-cranked flashlights? I'm not saying it's a good idea by any means, but it is more than possible.
>>
Why not just make a real laser musket?

Laser, big capacitor, ac plug for power. Cut out the wood. Screw the gears. Not like you have energy or micro fusion cells.
>>
For the lighting, the easiest way would be to use a rotary encoder with an arduino to vary the duty of some LEDs.
>>
>>923444
>Nigger are you serious? You have never seen hand-cranked flashlights? I'm not saying it's a good idea by any means, but it is more than possible.
you can hook a LED to a nema17 stepper motor and turn the motor shaft with your fingers, and the LED will light up.

"Making a small generator" isn't the whole problem here; OP wants the end result to look like the game weapon.
>>
OP here.

>>923291
Hrm, alright. Noted, thanks.

>>923400
1) I can make ordinary gears with some sturdy wood and a jigsaw. Bevel gears would be much harder for me to make, but I have an idea of where I might be able to get a pair without having to make them, so that shouldn't be an issue. Still, you're right that it will be difficult to conceal them perfectly.

2 + 3) I've never dealt with arduinos and stepper motors before, but I might look into that. Thanks.

>>923405
Looks bulky. Might not be the easiest thing to conceal in the frame. Still, could have potential.

>>923451
I'm in Australia. Legal max power of a laser pointer here is 1 mW. I couldn't make a goddamn lecturer's laser pointer, let alone an IRL laser cannon.

>>923486
>"Making a small generator" isn't the whole problem here; OP wants the end result to look like the game weapon.

More or less. Though, I'm willing to forego precision of design mimicry if the "spirit" of the design is preserved. After all, this is a prop for a Fallout series weapon we're talking about here. The thing in-game is held together with duct tape. It would be reasonable to presume that, in reality, each musket would have its own individual design quirks due to the limited availability of parts in the post-apocalyptic wastes.
>>
>>923109
I think your going along the right lines OP. As mentioned though, a sensor would be much better than an actual generator
>>
>>923109

OP here's the wonderful thing about what your doing. In no way does it need to be spot on. It can be modified so long as it serves the same purpose, as in the game your geeky ass is obsessed with
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.