[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how to boot ubuntu from an sd card or phone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: ubuntu-next.png (33KB, 1191x842px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-next.png
33KB, 1191x842px
hello /diy/
noob here trying to change from windows to ubuntu and I wanted to know how to install ubuntu from my phone or an micro sd card... and if it's posible.. so... could you guy help me here!?
>>
File: 1448804106429.jpg (85KB, 508x504px) Image search: [Google]
1448804106429.jpg
85KB, 508x504px
>>922645
>using linux for every day use
>especially when having to ask how to install it
>>
>>922645
www.google.com

>>922648
also this
>>
>>922645
>>>/g/
/diy/ is slow and not too shitty
/g/ is faster, talks about >muh freedoms, and is shitty enough for a shitty thread like this to not be unusual.
>>
Are you trying to install it on a computer, or your phone?

If computer, download the .iso, copy to computer, burn to DVD.
You can boot from the DVD to try it and install from there if you want.
>>
if your computer is like mine, it wont allow me to boot from the built-in card reader. i have to use an external card reader, which presents the microSD card as if it were a flash drive, which it can boot from. the program i use to put the ISO in the card is UNetbootin.
>>
>>922675
this
>>
>>922707
>wont allow me to boot from the built-in card reader.

Hmm. Inside a PC, the SD card reader is just conected to a USB buss. It's possible that the internal and external devices are on different busses. Perhaps the h/w configuration page can control which busses allow boot devices.
>>
>>922645
If you have to ask how to boot a new OS or even install it, you shouldnt be using anything but windows. Learn about what you're asking for first. Booting your computer from a phone with an OS ISO on it? Are you literally retarded son?
>>
>>923115
>If you have to ask how to boot a new OS or even install it, you shouldnt be using anything but windows.
Not true. My wife happily uses mint and I doubt she could copy a file from a flash drive to the HD and be able to find it.
>>
>>923115
Lots of phones look like USB sticks to PCs so it might be possible but a lot easier just to make a bootable USB stick
>>
>>923115
>If you have to ask how to boot a new OS or even install it, you shouldnt be using anything but windows.
Not true. My wife happily uses mint and I doubt she could copy a file from a flash drive to the HD and be able to find it.
>>
>>923115

What is learning?

The first time I installed Linux I had no clue what I was doing, and that was back in the days where a Curses-style text configuration was standard.

These days installing a nothing-special mainline Linux distribution is just as easy if not easier than installing Windows, because you don't have to screw around with activation.

Note also that he's not asking how to boot the new OS or how to install it, he's asking whether it's possible to do so from a phone or a micro SD card. Those are very different things.
>>
I recently put Ubuntu on my Latitude d630 with this, just click show all drives and hit the sd card.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
>>
>>922675
Dont send us your trash. /g/ is not a tech support board and most people will not help because of this.
>>
>>923218
Except that this thread is /g/'s trash. /diy/ isn't meant to be /g/'s trashcan.
>>
>>923225
What are you even trying to say...
This thread was made on /diy/ and someone pointed OP to /g/.
This means that the thread belongs to /diy/.
It is also a trash thread by standards of /g/.
Therefore it is /diy/'s trash.
>>
>>923218
>>923225
Naw, we try to be helpful. /g/ is full of attitudes like yours.
>>
Install gentoo.
>>
DriveDroid
>>
>>922645
Install Gentoo
>>
>>922693
>DVD
Why?
>>
> >DVD
>Why?

costs 30 cents, lasts 30 years, difficult to lose, easy to give away, viruses will not attach themselves to it. if you saw how flimsily made flash drives are, you would be forever leery, given the fragile USB solder joints, lack of mechanical support for the PCB, and crystals that die from vibration.
>>
>>923937
Thank you
>>
>>922645
I've booted Lubuntu from a 32GB SDcard. It was super slow and very glitchy. I booted the same OS from a USB drive and had not one issue. Just buy a 32GB USB drive. Assuming you are from America, I think they cost around 15-20 USD, probably less.
>>
>>923937
>costs 30 cents
unless you just want one
>lasts 30 years
why would you want an install disk to last 30 years
>difficult to lose
you install it then you throw it the fuck away. what are you a klepto?
>viruses
if you fuck up this badly between creating a bootable usb and using it then your new system won't be clean for long

>flimsy made
never had an issue

cds are slow as fuck for an install disk.
takes ages to burn, ages to boot and ages to install.

copy the installer to a usb drive and away you go, system will be up and running before you finished burning a disc.
>>
>>923997
Doesn't it take a special program to make a bootable flash drive?

I always liked having the actual install disk saved. That's why I still have XP OEM, my first ubuntu, my recent mint, ect.
If I needed to reinstall for any reason, I just grab the disk, I know it works. Came in handy recently when I convinced the wife to try mint. She got exactly what I have.
Time wise, What's an extra few minutes on an install.

I see your point, but I like having a record.
>>
There is an app called DriveDroid that does it.
>>
>>922645
>>>/g/
You can install it onto an SD card the same way you would install onto a hard drive. But srsly. You need to be googling this stuff before opening threads over stuff like this.
>>
>>923992
why on earth do you need such a huge and expensive usb stick for? All ISOs are made to fit on 1 GB drives. These can be had for free/almost no money at a dollar/euro bin in many stores.

>>922707
Underrated post. UNetbootin is genius. Stick usb into computer, start program, choose distro, hit install, reboot, have linux and never go back to windows again
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.