[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, not really sure if this is worthy of making a thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: visual reference.png (22KB, 953x753px) Image search: [Google]
visual reference.png
22KB, 953x753px
Hey /diy/, not really sure if this is worthy of making a thread about, but you fags are the only people who seem to know their shit when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Anyways I was hoping you might be able to help me with something. I'm trying to make a little, nearly impossible to stumble upon, hidey hole. So far my idea is (See included pic for a visual reference) that I can unscrew the bottom of a recessed cabinet, then cut into the drywall and then patch up the hackjob and reassemble everything. However as someone who has never done any carpentry, I really don't know if this is a sensible plan of action, what tools I would need, or how to make sure it's not painfully obvious to onlookers that I've messed with the wall. If you could suggest any of these things, or even a better hiding place I would appreciate it greatly.
>>
10 seconds of reading to finally get to your question...

Just buy one of those faux wall socket stash holes and stop shitting up the board with your drug shit.

>>>/b/
>>
>>922070
That really does not help with my problems at all, I need long term storage, and assurance that it will not be discovered easily (as some horseshit like a fake faucet or socket would) by any of my co inhabitants. I am not interested in petty dollar store tricks for warding off burglars.
>>
>>922070
Furthermore this has nothing to do with recreational drugs.
>>
>>922072
You really think you can tell the difference between a fake wall socket when entering a strangers home? Are yours made of 24k gold encrusted with diamond accents? You are a homo and it will work fine.
>>
It depends on if you need access to this often or not. You could bust a hole in the wall, put your thing inside it, then do a full repair of the wall that will require busting another hole into the wall any time you need to access the item. That will require a bit of effort though.

If you need access to if often, a wall isn't an ideal hiding place. Modifications to a wall that are open-able are pretty noticeable.

The general consensus in the last thread I read about hiding an item was that the best place to put it would be to bury it in the woods, to avoid thermal detection.
>>
I may suggest an a fake outlet though. purchase an outlet cover and an outlet, cut a small rectangular hole in the wall, mount the outlet and cover without any wiring, then use that as your way into the wall to access the item. The fake outlet could be placed behind a dresser so it never gets used. That would be detectable using thermal imaging.
>>
Also you sound basically retarded OP, so do not attempt to do this with a functioning outlet.
>>
>>922076
This has nothing to do with strangers, as I said in the post.

>>922077
I will only need to access it again once. if everything goes to plan. Though if there is any way to streamline access so that I don't get anyone on my ass about using a sledge hammer to knock holes in the wall. For instance if I could screw in a board, then plaster over it and only have to remove the screws and scrape away the plaster with a knife, that would be preferable. But all in all the primary goal is hiding it utterly securely until it is needed.

>Bury it in the woods
Possible, but how would I know where it was buried exactly, GPS coordinates? Though there are not many woods around here. I would also be concerned that factors such as weather might ruin what I need to hide unless I could make sure it was absolutely weatherproofed.

>Thermal detection
Should I be concerned about this? I had not thought that thermal imaging would be particularly well suited to finding something inside insulation, assuming it had time to reach ambient temperature. Though I suppose it would be quite easy with some sort of backscatter scanner, radio or ultrasound.

>>922084
I suppose, but still it concerns me how easily that it would be detected to be a fake. I do have access to several covered outlets that were never wired completely, but I thought it would be a rather bad place to hide it in case anyone ever decided to some rewiring.
>>
>>922077
>bury it in the woods
knowing someone who invested their life savings into scrap metal and buried it in the woods to avoid paying out during divorce this works great.
>>
How much room do you need, and how temperature sensitive is (whatever) you need to hide?

Vacuum pack it to give it a bit of moisture protection (add a silica gel pouch or two if you are paranoid) and stick it in a tupperware container and you have something you can bury in the back yard or put inside a hollow tree or something. Or see if you can place it in the eaves of the roofspace hidden under insulation or other camouflage.
>>
>>922237
The object itself is rather small, fist sized. AS for temperature sensitivity, I am honestly not sure exactly how sensitive it is, but room temperature is generally recommended as the storage temp.

Thank you for the rest of the advice though, I will see if I can find a sufficiently insulated container.
>>
>hidey hole
>I have no experience and don't even really know I'm my idea is plausible
>what are tools
>give me more ideas of places to accomplish fuckall
>>
>>922492
Is it a grenade or something that you're going to use to hurt yourself or others?
>>
>>923014
Funny idea, but no. It's not a grenade or any sort of viet cong boobytrap. Nor is it anything going to be used to "hurt others" if that concerns you.

>>922962
Who are you quoting with the bottom two lines?
>>
>>923053
I wasn't concerned about a booty trap as much as you suicide bombing someone.

The need to hide it from people close to you and "I'll I only need to access it once" thing just struck me as ominous.

I could do better with a picture, so this will mostly be guessing and you tell me if I'm on the right track. There's no wood in the back of the cabinet? The 2 options I see.

Cut the dry wall at the studs and make a hole that looks like it's large enough to access pipes or wiring. Hide your thing in there, and patch the drywall. Bonus points if you have matching paint. If you don't, it'll just look like a half assed repair. The other option is a little more clever, easier, but will bring more attention to the hole.

Basically the fake plug idea, but not exactly. You'll need a pvc 1 gang old work box, a piece of 14-2 romex with ground, a blank switch cover, and 2 wire nuts. Strip the wire long enough at both ends that you can connect them with wire nuts. Pop 2 holes in the back of the box. Feed one end through one hole, one through the other. Twist black to black, white to white, and bare to bare. Put a wire nut on the black and the white. The bare copper, ground, is usually left exposed. Here you have a fake junction box that looks completely legit from the outside. Cut a hole for the box close to the floor. Stick whatever you want to hide in the hole. Insert the fake junction box, tighten the clamps so it's secure, and put the switch plate on. If done correctly it'll just look like live wires on the inside.
>>
>>923074
The best thing about the fake junction box, there's no dead plug that people will ask questions about.
>>
>>923014
DUDE WEED LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111
>>
>>923074
Oh I see, sorry to worry you, I'm just being a bit vague to protect my own privacy .

>There's no wood at the back of the cabinet
Well there is, but I believe part of it can be unscrewed and removed by partial disassemble, and that will allow access to the drywall. Because it's so remote, and access would require actual disassembly I thought it would be fairly secure.

Thank you for the junction box idea. I would not have thought of that and I'm sure it would work as there are more than a few around here.

>>923080
?
>>
>>922068
There is a pdf called "the construction of secret hiding spaces", which covers all sorts of stuff like this. A good spot that no one has mentioned is under the door trim on an interior door, author mentioned a friend of his who revealed he kept an emergency shotgun there. Not going to be messed with short of a major remodel, generally only the door gets replaced.
>>
Hide in toilet bowl. Whenever you need it, just flush.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.