[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fucked up plumbing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_7833.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7833.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey plumber people:

Is there any reason at all for a bathtub water trap to have a completely open pipe sticking out of the top of it?

Water dripped down into the downstairs hallway after a housemate's visiting parent took a bath. I'm pretty sure there's a clog in the trap and the excess pressure from the bath draining sent right out the top of the pipe.
>>
>>921893

Dammit. Excuse my sideways picture. Pipe should be pointing up.
>>
File: FH06SEP_DRALIN_01.jpg (63KB, 700x818px) Image search: [Google]
FH06SEP_DRALIN_01.jpg
63KB, 700x818px
looks like a vent that wasnt finished.
should be exiting through the roof
>>
also, those wires on the floor should be in a junction box
>>
>>921898

But this is on the shower side of the trap. The pipe on the left is the bathtub drain. It's supposed to exit the trap to the right.
>>
>>921893
where is the tub overflow?
>>
>>921907

around to the right. I can't see it. The faucet is on the side of the tub and the overflow is on the end. Picture is taken from the side where the faucet is.
>>
File: IMG_7835.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7835.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>921909

Here's what the tub looks like on the inside. Attic gives me access to the wall behind the faucet which is where the other picture is taken from.
>>
>>921909
>>921910
for water to have come out of the open pipe, the tub would have to be filled beyond the overflow regardless of the trap being plugged.

im guessing its a poor excuse for a vent pipe. typical its installed after the trap but since its not going up through the roof, they put it before the trap to avoid sewage gases filling your attic. this is basically useless.

i would look at those shifty AF hose clamps as the source of the leak.
>>
>>921912

I think housemates dad may have tried to plunged the bathtub drain because it was running slow, but he's not here so I can't ask him. I ran the water and I couldn't see any leaks anywhere. Plus it was a lot of water at once and now everything is dry.
>>
>>921914

This seems very likley.

The open pipe is useless.

To fix clog in trap, stop up the open pipe and plunge bathtub.

>problem solved
>>
Have housemate look into open pipe and tell you when he sees the end of the snake you are running into the drain.

Instead of using a snake, use the plunger on the drain and blast housemate with piss.
>>
The ENTIRE installation of that tub is wrong.

The brass stand pipe is the overflow, if should be connected to the Higher chrome fitting in the Toe end of the tub.

BUT! I can see that the Toe end of the tub is under a window and that the brass stand overflow pipe is actually in a weird canted way on the backside of the tub.

Which all means that the tub has ZERO overflow and also would be very difficult to service.

I'm also seeing corrosion on the brass pipe down at the trap and....

OH HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THERE'S BARE EXPOSED WIRE NUTS DIRECTLY UNDER THE TUB TRAP!! DEATH TRAP ALERT DEATH TRAP ALERT!!

The plumbing is fucked, would mean opening walls to make it right.
But the wires.... oh man.

OP? Your renting this death box of a house? Get out ASAP and report this with photos to your local Building Code enforcement.
>>
>>921902
reverse the image?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.