[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, I have a confession...I am hopelessly in love with my tools.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: ToolLove-copy-300x300.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
ToolLove-copy-300x300.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
Guys, I have a confession...I am hopelessly in love with my tools. No matter how shitty quality my tools are, I oil them, I sharpen them, I clean them up. I use needle files to sharpen wire cutter portions of pliers.

I take fine steel wool to take off surface rust as soon as it appears. I am constantly online shopping for more tools. I am insanely aware of moisture exposure and finger print oil for my tools.

Sometimes, when I'm not using my tools in a long time, I just take them out and look at them and give them a few movements to make sure they still work well. Sometimes...I caress them as if they were alive...like they were my pet or something....

Am I alone in this?
>>
>>921725
I do this to a certain extent when I get new tools.
Then the feeling wears off and I am drooling to buy more new tools.

I am a borderline hoarder, and love shopping though.
>>
Get a room, you two...
>>
do you shove them up your anus?
>>
What is the best lubricant for tools?
>>
i care for them a lot then as i use them and they start to show a little wear i stop giving a fuck. i do still clean tho them, nothing worse then grabbing a tool out of the box and it's covered in grease or oil
>>
>>921750
Inox. Corosion inhibitors, oil, comes in spray can.
>>
>>921725
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Vischer
There's a word in German for that. Einfühlung
>>
File: 130221851388.png (80KB, 600x558px) Image search: [Google]
130221851388.png
80KB, 600x558px
>>922064
>Australian owned. Australian made.
>Does not dry out, gum up, become gooey or sticky or wash off with water!
>>
File: 1426394803452.jpg (119KB, 500x637px) Image search: [Google]
1426394803452.jpg
119KB, 500x637px
>>921748
>>
>I didn't know where else to go with this and I didn't really want to make a new thread.
>Looking to buy a vise.
Some great new Wilton's with great independent reviews are $200.
>Been to local flea markets now and looked on Craigslist for 2 weeks now. Every old vise is an "ONE OF A KIND ANTIQUE" $300+ for a 4" rusted up piece of shit with cracked lead screws and shit.
That's all.
>>
>>922876
what kind? there are ones for metal working, ones for timber. you can make a vise out of two pieces of wood and some lag bolts.

>for what purpose?
>>
File: 1439328300019.png (616KB, 599x600px) Image search: [Google]
1439328300019.png
616KB, 599x600px
>>922287
>>
>>921750
I use either 3-in-one or rub a pencil over the joints.
>>
>>925257
Do not use pencil. Graphite is good lubricant, clay is an abrasive. Pencils, especially harder grades, have clay in them. It would take a long time to damage most tools with pencil dust, but they will dull a knife quickly. They do make graphite suspended in a solvent for locks, where the liquid flows into the joint and evaporates, leaving graphite residue. It's meant for locks, I sometimes use it for 'dry' tools.

I often use lanolin on tools, otherwise paraffin, sewing machine oil (liquid paraffin), grease or anti seize of any description, linseed oil on bare steel which is a non-precision surface (it hardens), walnut oil or butcher block oil on wooden handles, way oil on ways, gear oil on closed gears, pneumatic tool oil on pneumatic tools, etc etc. Most simple tools don't care much. Be careful when mixing lubricants with plastic, some do not get along. Also avoid mixing solvents with lubricants, for instance lubricating with wd40, or mixing kerosene and grease.
>>
Paint your tools with engine paint or something.

Something that'll last.

It'll be like how women paint their nails.
>>
>>925695

Also, I want to tell you I used to have an acquaintance that painted all his tools blue. He did that to deter theft, make it easier to find lost tools, so they wouldn't mix with anyone else's, etc.
>>
>>925689
True. I take the graphite brushes out of any faulty motors and use them instead.
>>
>>925695
I just spray paint my tools the most obnoxious orange I can find, everything is orange..... Even my hood
>>
>>921725
I truely beleive that before we allow sjws to outlaw sex robots we should take a serious look at mans relationship with his tool. Its pretty apperent a lot of people care more for their possesions (including pets, the greatest tools) more then other people.
Mans love for transport, computers, fire arms and smoking paraphernalia should be studied more closely from a psychological anthropological standpoint
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.