[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electricians

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: 82.jpg (73KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
82.jpg
73KB, 640x480px
How much of home electrical work do you actually need to call an electrician for?

Obviously for insurance and certification they should carry out everything except rewiring a plug, but it seems to me that things like replacing (existing) light switches and outlets (or in my case, installing a salt water chlorinator in my pool system) could be done by any moderately intelligent and pragmatic human.

Would they refuse to certify even a Grade A+ piece of work carried out by an enthusiastic home DIYer just because they missed out on the shekels? Seems like bullshit to me. Probably differs by country as well.
>>
>>920801
Don't quote me on anything, but in my locality:

1) Any work done just has to be INSPECTED and CERTIFIED by a trained electrician. You can do any and all electrical work by yourself, but you need to pay an electrician to come inspect it and sign off on it afterwards

2)
>Would they refuse to certify
Who is they? An electrician, no. An insurance agent or other beaurocrat? Definetly.
>>
>>920801
here, as the homeowner, you're allowed to do anything you want downstream of the panel. however, if you are getting renovations done that you have permits for, the electrical needs to be inspected before the permit can be closed.

iv only done my own electrical. running residential circuits is dead simple if you're not retarded.
>>
>>920801
>How much of home electrical work do you actually need to call an electrician for?

Where I live you don't need to call anyone except an inspector who looks at the meter to make sure it is installed correctly before the electric company will hook up power. But, that is just if you want a meter and buy from the local power company. Nothing inside the home needs to be inspected.

I do all my own power needs unless it involves going into the crawl space. Then I pay someone else to do it because I can't be fucked to muck around down there anymore.
>>
>>920801
electrician here and i will say that even installing a plug can be messed up by a non electrician (and many electricians) enough to be a fire hazard and i have seen home that had nearly caught on fire due to a homeowner installing a plug. lots of diyers use smaller wire than needed or bigger circuit breakers . there are lots of small things that a homeowner can mistake thinking its no big deal but it is.
if you still want do it yourself then i suggest doing it and having an electrician come out and look it over before you flip the switch . they usually dont charge much for that. and that would be my suggestion.
as for inspection . as long as you arnt doing something you need to pull a permit for its all on you but your insurance might not cover you if you do it yourself. if you need any questions answered fire away
>>
>>920806
I'm quoting you.

>1) Any work done just has to be INSPECTED and CERTIFIED by a trained electrician. You can do any and all electrical work by yourself, but you need to pay an electrician to come inspect it and sign off on it afterwards

Any electrical work needs to be inspected by and ELECTRICAL INSPECTOR. They're paid by the State to inspect all wiring. An electrician CANNOT do the inspection and are subject to inspections themselves. This only applies to major work that requires a permit however. So, if you need a new switch, no one needs to inspect it; if you're building an addition, it needs to be inspected.

Anything not inspected basically means that your insurance has a reason to say, nope, not paying.
>>
>>921393
if you have to pull a permit it has to be inspected
no permit = no inspection

and if you make repairs that eventually cause a fire your insurance will say "No" too
>>
>>921393
also while an electrician cannot do inspections they can look it over to make sure its safe for 50-100 bucks just for your own piece of mind
>>
>>920801
Anyone know how to ground an outlet to bx
cable? Just bought a house and every single damn plug except for a gfi in the kitchen is two prong with bx cable.
>>
>>921532

Rewire is the only way to go and be sure man.

IF it was wired before the codes got updated, you should just pull new wire and do it right the first time.

I just rewired my house to ditch the old aluminum wiring and the previous owner's /diy/'s.

The previous owner had cut a wire, then spliced it with wire nuts and electrical tape before stapling it to a floor joist. I still look at it just to remind me why I spent all that money to have the house rewired and hardwired fire alarms installed.
>>
>>920801
None
>>
>>921532
it depends on the age of the house . a lot of homes that were made in the 40-60 were run in conduit . if this is the case many times the conduit is grounded and you can buy short pieces of ground wire that come with a grounding screw and ground then to the box. you will also need a self taping screw to make the hole for grounding screw . if its in a fiberglass box you can trick the plug into thinking its grounded by running a short piece of wire from the neutral to the ground screw on the outlet , but be wary as this will not truely ground the outlet. if you need anymore advise i will check back tomorrow.
>>922097
you are wrong and should stop giving electrical advise before you burn someones house down.
>>
>>922184
>you can trick the plug into thinking its grounded by running a short piece of wire from the neutral to the ground screw on the outlet , but be wary as this will not truely ground the outlet. if you need anymore advise i will check back tomorrow.>>922097 #you are wrong and should stop giving electrical advise before you burn someones house down.

I don't even. What.

You are why the eurofags make fun of our wiring. Because it has to be designed so fucking idiots like you dont burn down 45% of us homes every year
>>
>>922202
i see you know nothing about electricity. its quite simple. most plugs have 2 screws for the neutral side and 2 for the hot side and one ground screw. a ground is just a redundant neutral. so you can trick a plug into thinking its grounded by running a small piece of wire from a neutral screw to a ground screw. as long as you dont put 2 wires under a screw it is ok but not truly grounded.

trust me ive been doing this for almost a decade. dont be insulted because i called you out and you have no clue what you are doing.
>>
>>922204
You might have been doing it that way for a decade, but that only means there's a decade's worth of your shoddy, shortcut CBF'd electrical work you've left in god knows how many buildings. Just because it works doesn't mean it's actually safe to do. But US wiring is pretty stuffed anyway, so I don't really suppose it matters in the scheme of things.
>>
>>922204

>bridging neutral and ground

Is this 1964 and are your the fucking retard who bridged the neutral and ground in my panel?
>>
>>922204
>doing it wrong for almost a decade

leave it to an american do have a delicate enough ego to keep doing something wrong just so they dont have to admit they fucked up.

electrical code defines neutrals as a current carrying conductor and therefore poses a danger when connected to enclosures/housing
>>
>>922204

>most plus have 2 screws for neutral

Do you mean outlets have 2 connectors for neutral and live? So they can be wired in series? No fucking reason for a plug to have more than on for anything.

Either you are a pretend electrician or you are a bottom of the barrel line puller that they don't allow to commission anything because you are too retarded to communicate properly after 10 fucking years in the trade.
>>
Saying you need an electrician and it can be messed up by non electricians is just some bullshit they use to make their job title sound more exclusive and put themselves on pedestals next to doctors and surgeons.

If you understand the theory and feel comfortable doing something then do it. You can always have someone inspect and cert your work if you feel the need.

HV(proper electricians) are warranted however. Anything over 415 needs a bit more thought.
>>
>>922240
That would actually be correct if it's the main panel and you don't have anything weird in your house (Like it's actually a mobile home or made of metal)
>>
File: Electrical_Receptacles454-DJFs.jpg (53KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Electrical_Receptacles454-DJFs.jpg
53KB, 640x480px
>>922240
>being this retarded
>>922253
a ground is a current carrying conductor. for christs sake open a panel noting that all grounds and neutrals end on the same bar.
>>922258
>ITT an ignotant retard that thins hes on to something
>>922277
ive seen arcing from a a lot of shit like a loose screw on a plug and thats all it takes to burn a house to the ground. do as you wish but dont believe you own bullshit
>>
>>922323
It is terrifying that someone gave you a license and you still think a bootleg ground is okay. You should be ashamed and feel bad. That you don't understand why ground is neutral at the mgn and ground is ground on a branch.... Fuck man. I hope you get electrocuted on a lamp one day to stop your dumbass from doing this.
>>
>>922323

That's what you call a plug?
>>
>>920801
Could be better hole placement
>>
>>922323
>Confirmed red neck electricians guild.

How does it feel to know everything?
>>
>>922381
i never said it was ok i said
> you can trick the plug into thinking its grounded by running a short piece of wire from the neutral to the ground screw on the outlet , but be wary as this will not truly ground the outlet.
>>922383
ugh the autism in this thread. now i remember why i abandoned /diy/ all the tards
>>922390
awwe you mad because i proved you wrong?

im out tards have fun burning your shit down while i laugh
>>
>>922097
Hey, thanks for this, it's what I read online for the most part.

after looking deeper, I noticed, all the wiring (original to 1953) runs along joists in the basement. The house is a 1 floor cape, with an unfinished attic.

My thought at this point, as there's not really anything in the walls, I can just pull the wire through to the basement, and run it as its ran now. I figure I'll just buy the appropriately sized romex cable for the breaker in the box, and a bunch of the right plugs, and go to town, room by room as I need.

Anything wrong with this thought? I'm not reinventing circuits here, just updating them.
>>
>>921532

GFCI's. GFCI's everywhere.
>>
>>922277

You fuck up your insulation, you're house gets cold.

You fuck up your plumbing, some stuff might get damaged.

You fuck up your flooring and you make it look ugly.

You fuck up your electrical and you and your family might die in a fire. Danger wise, it's right up there with gas fitting.

But you keep telling yourself Electricians are inflating their own importance.

"If you understand the theory and feel comfortable doing something then do it."

Yes, because understanding something on paper is just as useful as years of hands on experience. How's that mail order pilot's license working for you?

Idiot.
>>
Never called an electrician in my entire life, half of the work in my house is done by me and it's well done, it looks pretty easy to me but I've seen people fucking up even the installation of a goddamn switch.
>>
>>923782
Don't you guys have RCD's in the consumer unit? That way you don't need to install a separate RCD in each outlet.
>>
>>922383
Looks more like 2 surprised owls next to 2 nonchalant ones.
>>
>>923785
>You fuck up your insulation, you're house gets cold.
You're using the possessive twice and you managed to still get one wrong.
>>
To preface, I rent a real junker of a house, and my Landlord is a huge piece of garbage who refuses to do much of anything.

I have a detached garage, and the power one day just stopped.

Its very menial wiring, its only 1 exposed lightbulb socket wired into a power switch wired into 1 outlet.
From the outlet the wire goes to the baseboard, and I assume it goes underground into the houses basement.

I have a fuse on the circuit breaker in the house for the garage/doorbell , but it has NOT been blown. Doorbell works.

Did the wiring underground somehow fail?
Is that a fire hazard?
Should I look at something else?

Not going to put a lot of money into this house to fix it, but will remove the wiring from the circuit breaker if its a fire hazard
>>
>>923798
in U.S. you technically only need one RCD at the beginning of the branch if i'm not mistaken. If you aren't actually grounded, you must put a sticker on the outlet which says "no equipment ground"
>>
>>923803

Ohh, really? I made a grammer mistake, on the internet??? Oh fuck! What am I gonna do now??? Fuck fuck fuck!!!

Idiot.
>>
>>922204
Damn it cleetus did you drink all my shine again? I needs it cuz I think dad is fucking sis again and only I do that!
>But really, that'll work but it's literally the shittiest way to do anything.
>>
Well, i am an electrician, so nope, i won't call one. But in my sight of the things i would say normel plebs shouldn't do more than install a light or attach a new plug to a cable.

Greetings from Germany.
>>
>>923810
Do not modify a rental property in any way. Any work you do will put you at fault in the court's eyes if anything goes wrong.

If your landlord refuses to fix basic housing issues you can report him to the housing commission. Violations are anything that detract from basic habitability. Electrical, plumbing, and heat, and as an extension code violations.

He has no place being a landlord if he's willing to put the public health at risk. He should be reported and forced to fix his shit.

Document your communications with him and report. And if hes a real scumbag and retaliates against you you have him by the fucking balls.

>src: Im a landlord.
>>
>>922323
>a ground is a current carrying conductor. for christs sake open a panel noting that all grounds and neutrals end on the same bar

"Alex I'll take GFCI's for one thousand please"
>>
>>924099
Why do people keep using my name on here, am I some kind of inside joke?
>>
>>923811
>you must put a sticker on the outlet which says "no equipment ground"

That won't stop Stacey Sugertits from plugging in her hairdryer with the frayed power cord.
>>
I think in the end you are better off either finding someone who is certified to give you a hand or paying for it and maybe having the owner pay for half or something. The risk is way too high to lose everything you own because you "really really thought you knew what you were doing".
>>
>>924143
> finding someone who is certified to give you a hand
as an apprentice electrician (but also speaking from conversations with journeymen) we are drilled, again and again, that as soon as we get involved with a project, whether that is doing work without a permit or just 'taking a look' at something and okaying it, our backsides are very much on the line.
>>
File: SuckItTrebek.jpg (56KB, 680x640px) Image search: [Google]
SuckItTrebek.jpg
56KB, 680x640px
>>924111
>>
>>921532
To answer your question BX is a abandoned wiring method since it has no ground and the sheath is not considered "electrically continuous" therefore cannot be used as a ground.

From the information you have three options:
1) Rewire the house.
2) Live with adapters since it is grandfathered to have no ground, and you are not required to replace the receptacle with a ground type, and can replace them with non-grounding (but you are prohibited from installing ground type receptacles without a ground except under option 3)
3) The 2014 NEC allows for you to install ground type receptacles if the branch circuit and receptacles are GFCI protected. But all receptacles that are done like this (((MUST))) be labeled "No Equipment Ground" (better quality GFCI receptacles come with these sticker labels along with the required "GFCI Protected" stickers).

That's the NEC the "Authority having Jurisdiction" may vary were you are at.

P.S. If its AC cable (which looks similar) it has a aluminum bonding strip (aluminum wire) that if properly installed to metal boxes (not plastic) via a proper connector is "electrically continuous" and can act as a ground thru box bonding tails. The sheath for BX lost its "electrically continuous" status a long time ago, AC cable is like BX except that it has a bare Aluminum wire that bypasses the sheath so it can be "electrically continuous".
>>
>>922240
>>922294
This is correct the ground bus bar and neutral bus bar is bonded at (and only at) the service panel.
>>922323
>a ground is a current carrying conductor.
No
The un-grounded wire (Hot) is "current carrying"
The grounded wire (Neutral) is "current carrying"
The Grounding wire (Ground) is "non-current carrying"
>for christs sake open a panel noting that all grounds and neutrals end on the same bar.
Either you are talking about a pre-ground wire required panel trying to accommodate later added circuits with grounds or you are looking a improper installation. The only reason it can be gotten away with is that ground bus bar and neutral bus bar is bonded at (and only at) the service panel. Since they are connected at the panel you can do it but away from the panel it is a big no.
>>922204
>ground is just a redundant neutral
No it is not, the neutral is the "current carrying conductor" that carries the current and any imbalance to ground. The ground wire (equipment ground) is a "life safety" wire designed and designated to hopefully entice current to go thru it instead of a person and to facilitate the breaker tripping also to get rid of stray voltages that may have been induced .
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.