[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

want to satrt blacksmithing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: blacksmithinganvil.jpg (97KB, 625x469px) Image search: [Google]
blacksmithinganvil.jpg
97KB, 625x469px
I want to start black smithing on a low budget and am looking to make an anvil. I've found this Link: http://pioneersettler.com/diy-blacksmithing-anvil/
Is this good?
>>
As a "budget" anvil I see nothing wrong with it.
Having said that, you're going to get a lot of feedback as contact is made due to the beam not being solid.
For instance, when you are working your material on one side of the flange causing vibration in the web.
>>
I see, would an I beam work better? Also I would fix it to a stump or something
>>
Yes an I Beam would be better as it is formed steel.
You want the web of the material to be as thick as possible or as you can afford.
The Web width would need to be small as possible.
That gives you less deflection when striking.
>>
A stump would hold it until you get angled strikes going....then it is basically up to the lag bolts to hold it.
I go into many steel facilities, and I mostly see them bolted onto concrete pedestals or steel work tables.
>>
Thanks anons when I've made it I'll be sure to make a thread with requests
>>
If you want it cut and drilled, search for steel fabricators near you.
Most that work with the structural steel that you need have scrap cuts in the size you need for pennies on the dollar from sourcing it at a service center.
>>
I have rail line, I beam and a real anvil which I got from my late grand father. Line has more mass in it than I beam but is not as big on top as I beam can be. The anvil is by far the best but the others have their uses too specially if you want small and portable for something. The legit anvil is a job to move.
>>
My stepdad works at a metal works place so I can get the holes an such put in. and the anvil would be I deal as I don't man on moving it often but I can't find cheap ones in my country
>>
>>920681
Get a concrete forming tube. A big ass piece of square steel stock. Id say at least 1 inch thick or higher. Some pvc pipe. A dozen or so bags of concrete. And some way to creat a hardy hole. Basically you use a piece of pvc pipe and hot glue it to the bottom of your square stock under the hardy hole. Make sure the pipe is a little wider then the hole and cap off the other end. And then mix concrete and pour it into the tube mold. And squish the steel slab into the wet concrete and let it cure.

Now you got a stone anvil with a steel face. Sorta. But it fucking works as well as a reglar anvil. You don't even need a horn. Just build something to slide down into the hardy thats rounded up top. Like a mild steel round bar with a piece of square stock welded to the bottom.
>>
Interesting I'll try it sometime, but I an looking at more of traditional black smithing I.e. coal forge making own steel(maybe) ect.
>>
File: 20151226_193441.jpg (1007KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
20151226_193441.jpg
1007KB, 2240x1344px
>>920681
The middle anvil I paid nothing for as it was a beaten up cast iron anvil (very soft and terrible for any smithy work). I machined it along with my large steel anvil to true up all the edges but to make it usable I'll need to fix a D2 or hardened 4140 plate to the top. in the same fashion it'd be worth your while using a hardened top plate on what ever you intend on using as an anvil
>>
File: 20151227_115844.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151227_115844.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>920681
Just made mine today
No horn, I'm going to make another out of some more track. Milled it.
>>
>>922203
Have you tried asking a company who owns thousands of miles of track for some? Maybe a rail road company?
>>
>>920681
FYI, railroad track from turns will be harder steel than straight lines. So, when selecting it, bring a ball bearing with you and do a bounce test on the rails until you find the best one.
>>
>>921172
>beaten up cast iron anvil (very soft and terrible for any smithy work).

Use it for soft metals like copper.
>>
>>922408
All rail is plenty strong. Even straight line is harder than most anvils
>>
I wish all these aspiring smiths would stop being poor as shit and give some poor neglected old anvils good homes. Go look and find one that is in someone's way, they might even let you haul it off for free. You don't even know how nice it is to work a real, heavy anvil. I feel sad for you guys... Save some change or something I guess.
>>
>>922408
What? No? That's not true at all.

Curved track is simply that, they take a straight track into the rail shop, put it in a big 3 point bender, and drag it through.

Source: I worked in the track department as an engineer for a railroad.
>>
>>922559
In the USA companies did it. I can't vouch for current methods. Only for 1980s and earlier. It was because the turns were under more stresses than the straight stuff and everyone was cheap.

Also, of course they use straight track and bend it. That's how it comes out of the machine then you bend it on site. Though what is done today I've no clue at all.
>>
>>922558
Pretty tight in GA with that fag in atlanta buying up everything everywhere and selling them for double though I doubt he needs it
>>
You're better off making an anvil from a large hammer. Grind it flat and embed it in a stump.
>>
>>922408
>>922559
Are you sure? You sort of confirmed what he said. Compression (from the bending) hardens the metal. Though it might not be made from harder steel, it ends up (very barely) slightly harder than straight track (but I don't think that's what that anon meant).
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.