[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the difference in harassing wind vs solar energy? I would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: windsun.jpg (11KB, 258x195px) Image search: [Google]
windsun.jpg
11KB, 258x195px
Whats the difference in harassing wind vs solar energy?
I would imagine that wind turbines needs more maintenance and do not have as high of longevity when compared to solar. I believe this because of moving parts.
Or am I wrong because the Sun Lord burns your panels and wires and batteries
>>
>>919790
Solar is better in terms of what you said, Wind is probably just cheaper to manufacture
>>
>>919790
>>919792
and/or wind might generate more electricity
>>
>>919793
>>919792
I should clarify im talking DIY obviously
But i wonder if the same can be applied to the industrial sized ones
>>
>>919798
Well then wind isn't going to be remotely feasable
>>
>>919802
Why is that?
>>
>>919806
Well A you have to live in an incredibly windy place, and B where are you going to put one? and C I'd imagine there are laws against building things that are very tall on your property in most places
>>
Yes wind isn't viable to DIY. Because of the economics of scale, and also the way wind works, you need a fucking huge rotor that's very, very tall to get usable power out of it. And that's assuming you have a constantly windy location to put.

Unless you mean windmills for ex grinding wheat. Those have been used for centuries.
>>
>>919807
>>919809
Modern wind turbines are situated higher than the wind conditions at ground level, so even if you live in a seemingly non-windy location, there's still a good chance there's wind to be gathered.
On a DIY scale, though, it's probably beyond me people's means.
>>
>>919836
You'd have to live on a mountain, maybe
>>
>>919837
>>919836
>>919809
Yo, you can make one of those vertical turbines, also you dont NEED to live in a mountain, desu, I live in a mountain ( 30 min away from the valley) and the wind blows really not that often, thing is, where there is no forest or trees, there is good wind. And there is this one place like 5 km away from the valley, it blows every night from 5-6 pm to at least 2-3 am EVERY DAY ALL YEAR. So there is this sweet spots that you can find and place one.

Otherwise, solar is good only if you live down south I guess, or you have huge land
>>
>>919790
https://www.ted.com/talks/william_kamkwamba_how_i_harnessed_the_wind?language=en
>>
File: turbine2.gif (23KB, 400x416px) Image search: [Google]
turbine2.gif
23KB, 400x416px
>>919790
solar

more money initially
more maintenance, unless you somehow never plan to get them dirty
bigger wires to transmit the dc, since even a single array can put out
something like 24v @ 29A
inverters to inter-operate with most domestic wiring
batteries, lots of them
charge controllers
you will need to do an azimuth track to find out where the best area
is and which area within there has the most sunlight
if your not in the tropics you will need to get some seasonal data
even then, night time

basically, solar if you're in near the equator, otherwise just putting a
panel up might not bring the returns you want.

wind

less complex wrt solar, yes, i said less complex
can rewind a generator easily if damaged, can even salvage other damaged motors for the raw materials if ghetto,
Tesla level tech, even your retired ee granddad can fix this shit
can build them to produce ac\dc (even 3 phase)
**vawt** are much better than hawt, they are less complex, require no mechanics to
adjust them into the wind since any wind in any direction can be harnessed and the mechanical stress is lower overall,
they are just better eng designs, thank you aerospace industry!

the vawt i am planning to build only has the wind capture portion above the installation,
the actual generator and brake will be in a housing on the ground, no more climb to repair or maintain.

***wind requires braking***, i'm working on this right now for my own water pumping vawt

you do not need a HIGH wind, you just need to understand gear ratios and how lift is achieved in an airfoil
(if your gonna build it might as well take the time to build it right)

wind uses existing technology (Cu wire and either a permanent magnet or a field coil) and you can get a motor that can be
used for a gen for much less than a comparably powerful array

no moving parts != no maintenance.

pic related

dat braking tho
>>
windmills have mechanical and noise issues but generate pretty well if you can get them elevated enough. you really want them at least 10 meters above any surrounding ground features, and the higher the better. the higher up you go, the more-constant and higher-speed the wind is.

solar is less maintenance issues (if you buy commercially-made panels!) but more outlay costs. Also, solar power drops off a LOT on a cloudy day; you may only see 10% of the power you'd get on a clear-skies day. Solar panels tend to have 20 or 25 year warranties but also tend to suffer corrosion much sooner in very-humid environments.

generally speaking in terms of small-scale/DIY generating,,,,, in a desert/arid environment, solar is better. everywhere else, wind power is better. The reason is because clouds and wind are positively interrelated, the same climate conditions cause both. And in a desert environment--a lack of clouds also generally means a lack of wind.
>>
>>919852
>unless you somehow never plan to get them dirty
Something like this would probably work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPM8OR6W6WE
>>
>>919858
are you a wizard?

never seen this before, but i don't see why it couldn't be used if it is transparent enough
>>
>>919859
Probably cost
>>
>>919790

Harassing wind can smell really bad and be offensive to my nostrils
>>
>>919790
There's not very much different between solar panels. However, there is a huge difference between various types of wind turbines. There are even two main categories, VAWT and HAWT. And a few subcategories within that. Then there's manufacturing and design after that.

The thing is, you should pair solar and wind together. Any power generating system should have overlapping methods of generating power. This allows for quite a bit of energy buffering. If there's no wind, solar will work, if there's no sun, wind will work. If there's neither one, maybe you'll have enough energy stored or be using a 3rd type of energy generation.

>>919806
Because he has no clue at all for what he's talking about. DIY wind turbines are pretty easy. The hard part and cost for small DIY systems is just energy storage being very expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS3CtSX8Eck
>>
>>919854
Living in Vegas for the last 4 years, I can say that every night we have wind for at least 2-3 hours, sometimes it's strong, sometimes not.
It has nothing to do with clouds, it has to do with hot/cold airflow and geographical position of the place, if there is woods nearby, if you are in the valley or some elevated place and so on.
>>
>wind
>no wind

Who cares? On a dead calm day I can still get my 4-feet Dopero kite up into the air and fly it high in the sky. I just have to get it x feet up where the wind is actually blowing and that requires a little bit of running, but not much really. Then I can literally stand there all day long and fly the kite until I get board.

The point is, you can't judge how windy an areas is by your own ground-level wind detection. You have to look at wind charts online. Like this for instance, http://earth.nullschool.net/ lets you see some pretty neat things about global wind currents. But, that still isn't enough for you personal local area. For instance I live in one of those very dark blue areas where there looks like there's no wind at all. Yet, everyone's tall wind turbines and my kites spin fast and pull strongly. It is great for DIY power, but shitty for politics and local government because some aspie anti-wind or ignorant fellow says "but there's no wind!"

>holy fug look at greenland's coast on that map
>>
>>919890
homophoned and so many errors, i need to proof read more
>>
>>919887
>Living in Vegas for the last 4 years, I can say that every night we have wind for at least 2-3 hours, sometimes it's strong, sometimes not.
>It has nothing to do with clouds, it has to do with hot/cold airflow and geographical position of the place, if there is woods nearby, if you are in the valley or some elevated place and so on.
Wind and clouds are caused by the same thing--temperature differences in the regional climate.

And the issue is not that "there's no wind in the desert", but that "there's probably more than 2-3 hours of sunlight in the desert". So for this reason--assuming that you could only afford to do one system--the solar panel setup would (probably) be the better of the two.

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/adventure/stories/1331728742452/7-windiest-places-on-earth
the above link is hardly an authority, but anyway: note that none of the claimed areas are a desert
>>
>>920130
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-101.77,38.97,1868

You can see much of it here.
>>
Wind has a few issues right now. One is the market for pre built windmills is a giant mess. Three major manufacturers (outside of china and professional jobs, the later costing to much to be viable) basically lie and shit on each other and pay companies to do false reviews, comments and generally shit up the place. I have no idea who is better than who, its a right shit mess. Regulation is the hardest part. Midnite classic is the only one with a real charge controller and a dump load set up but its 2000-3000 dollars. Missouri wind and solar is the only one to figure it out yet on the cheap. They hook it straight up and have a programmable voltage sensing circuit that activates a relay. Run that to a dc heating element and you dont have to worry about it over charging. The windmill will remain under load at all times and keep it from over speeding. Do both if you can and if you live in a remote region, tall as you can. Top of a hill, tall tower. In my area there is no restriction until 200 ft. Every 30 feet increases wind speed about 20-25% on average. So a 5 mph breeze at ground can be 30 mph at 200 feet. Build the tower strong. A pipe mount is fine for 30 foot windmills but an actually triangle heavy duty radio tower with guide wires is better, much better. Hing the bottom and put a hand crank so you can easily lower it during bad storms.
>>
>>920748
>basically lie and shit on each other and pay companies to do false reviews, comments and generally shit up the place.

So, just like every other company in America you mean?
>>
>>919790
>harrassing wind vs solar energy

lol
>>
>>920748
I live in a semi-shitty non-wind place. The best wind turbines we have are VAWTs. They work really well and don't need high towers at all. And man do they have torque to spare. They normally never have wind speed issues.
>>
>>920130
>http://www.redbull.com/us/en/adventure/stories/1331728742452/7-windiest-places-on-earth
Thanks, useful info.
But yeah if I am about ot do something it would be sunlight here in vegas, and btw have u seen the reflecting towers outside of prim, I wonder if someone could do something like that in smaller scale
>>
File: don-quixote-windmill.jpg (23KB, 425x297px) Image search: [Google]
don-quixote-windmill.jpg
23KB, 425x297px
>>920864
>>harrassing wind vs solar energy
>lol

"Those who have been told the truth should not be taken for those who have been scorned."

Im imagining a modern day Don Quixote charging a solar panel...
>>
>>920868
I hardly ever see anyone using a vawt. Never saw one over 150 watts that didn't cost a fortune or be fucking huge either.
>>
marine wind generators are small but a few Gs might be above your budget
>>
>>919859
the boots changed color in the test, probably not clear enough.

Anyone know about using old tv fresno lenses and solar panels on a motor to follow the sun?
>>
File: jkljkl;j.jpg (30KB, 639x477px) Image search: [Google]
jkljkl;j.jpg
30KB, 639x477px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQKb8qvuqdw

Anyone who says /diy/ wind is not possible. Please stop posting on /diy/ and LURK MORE
>>
>>921971
video not available in US ( Just why )

whats the output of that on an average day?
>>
>>919867
underrated post
>>
>>922051
Simple the picture but spinning with no load.

Good turbine building stuff at http://www.fieldlines.com/

My tip is read lots before you comment on there.
>>
>>919790

Solar works great, you just actually need 3x as much as your napkin math indicates. If you overbuy then it is a dream. Seems like magic, like an infinite battery. You plug in, power comes out, simple as that.

If you buy exactly what your calculations say you need it is a miserable nightmare of never quite having enough power.
>>
File: WEEEEEE.webm (2MB, 384x294px) Image search: [Google]
WEEEEEE.webm
2MB, 384x294px
>>922051
>video not available in US ( Just why )

It was a few years ago. Unless that isn't the original uploader or something. Also, just use youtube proxy.

>>921347
You mean heliostat tracking? There are many DIY stuff on line showing how to make your own. If you plan on using a Fresnel lens on a solar panel you'll need to seriously cool the panel off, if you are using a small panel and have the focus the same size.

.>>921164
Really? That is really hard to believe. Here's a strange funky designed one that does just that,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-hFDnfgXjE

Though this is over engineered as fuck. Still cool. You can do far better with a cheap motor, proper gearing, and some PVC pipe. Also, 150watts is like nothing. Most "expensive" large VAWTs I've seen are 2KW.and 3mx4m in size. That's as low as $1400. 5 feet diameter ones are around 500watts no problem for around $250-$300..

You can get 1KW with a DIY easy enough if you have the skills. The cost would be around $200 if you had to buy most of the stuff. You'll need to make your own generator though which is electronics 101 type stuff.

I suggest slapping stuff together ASAP in any size just to learn the basics quick and dirty.

>>922107
Excellent link.
>>
>>921971
Seems like a waste of drums.
>>
>>919809

Wind up some coils, make rotor and hub assembly with monster bearings, add some huge neo magnets, use pvc pipe to make fan and add charge controller.

You can get 500 or so watts pretty easy in a small package, if you don't care about your neighbors you can scale it up to 10kw or so.
>>
>>921971
>>922987
Considering it isn't even a wind turbine and is actually just some yard art, yes it is a waste. I can't see anything on it that has to do with power generation and can't find any other info on it at all.
>>
You harness wind with the turbine or break it with the solar depending on location
>>
how do you keep the wires from getting twisted over and over?
>>
>>923101

same way a brushed dc motor works essentially.
>>
>>923103
How? Eventually it will spin as it tracks the wind, how does the wires going down not kink up or twist?
>>
File: wind-turbine-stator.jpg (14KB, 300x230px) Image search: [Google]
wind-turbine-stator.jpg
14KB, 300x230px
>>923105
There are several ways to achieve this but one example is pic related. The part with all the wires never actually moves. Coils of wires are arranged on a plate. The part that moves is second plate full of permanent magnets. As the plate full of magnets move over the plate of copper coils electricity is produced.
>>
File: wind_turbine_slip_ring.jpg (16KB, 295x207px) Image search: [Google]
wind_turbine_slip_ring.jpg
16KB, 295x207px
>>923101
>>923105
With a HAWT there are 2 Ways. One is splitting the motoar into two parts like in >>923134 where all the wires are on the bottom side and the magnet on the top side.

The other way is to use a slipring like in this image which allows free spinning around the metal contacts as >>923103 states with "brushes" in a DC motor.

With either method there are no wires crossing over from spinning side to non-spinning side.

With a VAWT there's no need for a slipring or split generator because the device does not need to track the wind since it is vertical instead of horizontal.
>>
>>919807
they make some small property turbines these days. many farmers use them to reduce energy costs
>>
What i'm gonna do is ask a retarded question. Just follow my thought and maybe you will realize what i'm trying to ask. H-here i go.

I know that power output of the turbine mostly depends on rotational velocity of magnetic field relative to the coil. So here comes the retarded question.
Can you generate more energy via magnetic field by increasing resistance between two magnets? Like, if wind is too strong or too fast, magnets would be closer to each other thus providing more resistance for wind turbine?
>>
>>923241
yes, they make turbines with varying sizes, outputs, and rotational resistances
>>
>>919807
A: I don't and people use them all over. You don't need mach 5 winds for VAWTs. HAWTs only need a bit higher wind speed. Frequency for wind is just a bit lower. Overall most places can have a fair amount of power generation from wind. You need to design the wind turbine for the area.

B: Do you live in an apartment or something?

C: Small wind turbines don't go above that height. they can't reach the zone where planes fly and you need light beacons and stuff. If they did, all you need to do is get a permit which is easy enough to do. Plus, you can always just use a VAWT instead of a HAWT so you don't need a tall mast.

>>923241
Basically a mechanical magnetic clutching system? I've never seen, read, nor heard anything like that before. Normally, wind turbines like HAWTs will turn away from the main force of the wind when the wind gets too high. That reduces their speed. Both VAWT and HAWT normally employ electrical loads called a "shunt" used to help break the speed to a certain point or if the battery array is fully charged. Increasing the electrical load will increase the resistance and make the turbine spin slower. The shunt can be used to heat water or anything else really.

Shunting doesn't use extra moving mechanical parts. Your idea would require quite a bit of extra moving mechanical parts. The more parts you have that move in machine the higher the chance of breakdown and the more waste there is of energy.

But, it can be done, fyi.
>>
>>923284
I also forgot, there are some that turn on and off various coils in the phases to adjust speed.
>>
>>923268
>>923284
>>923286
Thank you.
>>
>>919790
Wind smells a lot bluer than solar because of Raleigh scattering. Look it up.
>>
>>919790
Wind Farms will eventually suck up all the wind and all the animals will die.

Solar Farms will eventually suck up all the sun and all the plants will die.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.