[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chess set

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4310x2868px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4310x2868px
So I'm looking to build an amazing chess board, but don't where to start on the pieces. I have a cnc router and a traditional lathe any suggestions on designs? I've never hand carved before so I'm not ready for that. I think I'll be going with maple and rosewood, Thanks!
>>
>>770271

either a dremel or hand carved will likely easiest for certain pieces like the knights or more intricate designs(pieces with faces) but a lathe (or a drill press set up to be used as a small lathe) will greatly simplify

You've made knobs and stuff before right? similar idea, just slightly fancier looking if we're going with a basic set

just a few things to keep in mind with your design
-How big do you plan to make the pieces?
-Specific theme?
-Your own capabilities
-Nobody judges the knights horse for having a slightly crooked eye when they're actually playing the game
>>
Mandatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBcS3iSkhc0
>>
>>770435
I say this every time I see the link but

ALL HAIL THE BOY-KING OF /diy/
>>
Thanks for the advice, and the video was great, lol
On the board i can't decide if I want drawers under or a separate case, whenever they have drawers they look too bulky.
>>
>>770527
I'm no woodworker, but the only thing I can think of is that it'll be way easier to separate/lose the pieces if the case is separate.
>>
>>770527
another option is simply having the board be the lid of the container, or be one large slide out

glass etching can make for nice looking tops, but if you do that you'll want to make sure to felt the bottoms of the pieces or else you'll hear a lot of clacking.
pretty easy to do with some stenciling, but I mention the glass as it's good for display purposes of the pieces while they're safely still in the box.

there is a certain charm in in traditional wooden boards though
>>
>>770271
create you're own design for the pieces. Get creative and just make whatever you can with the tools you have.
I'm planning on making a concrete board with white tile inlays for the white squares and nothing for the black. Gonna use steel tubing for the pieces like pic related
>>
File: chess_abstract3.jpg (139KB, 1600x712px) Image search: [Google]
chess_abstract3.jpg
139KB, 1600x712px
Here's one of the simplest I've seen.
>>
>>
File: chess-board-ingenuity-win-bolts.jpg (323KB, 699x516px) Image search: [Google]
chess-board-ingenuity-win-bolts.jpg
323KB, 699x516px
>>
File: TurnedChessPieces.jpg (269KB, 1794x1392px) Image search: [Google]
TurnedChessPieces.jpg
269KB, 1794x1392px
lathe project
>>
File: F8AM60SGERPDA9V.LARGE.jpg (107KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
F8AM60SGERPDA9V.LARGE.jpg
107KB, 1024x768px
http://www.instructables.com/id/Interlocking-ChessChecker-Board-Puzzle/
>>
>>770945
>epic fail
Nyet tovarisch, is epic win.
>>
Check out Steve Ramsey on youtube, 7 years after making a chess board he still hadn't made any pieces for it so someone sent him some, but the chess board he made is amazing.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.