[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aluminium Forging

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: Shitshotyo.jpg (1MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
Shitshotyo.jpg
1MB, 2656x1494px
Hi /diy/.

So instead of going out and celebrating the new year, I spent it melting down coke cans with some friends in a makeshift forge.

I don't really have anything to do with the ingots at the moment. Does /diy/ know a way to make some moulds?
>>
>>754748
one of these
>>754329

Also Im trying to find good crucible junk, what did you use?
>>
The process usually involves 3d printing, making a negative mold with the 3D printed fugure, filling the negative with wax, get a wax positive and make a heat resistant negative with the wax positive. It's quite annoying.
>>
>>754751
Bought a cheap fire extinguisher then sawed it in half.
sealing my letters with aluminium though...
>>
>>754752
bullshit, just carve a positive shape out of wood, or large erasers, jesus.
>>
>>754752
I was hoping it would be a bit easier than that, what could I use for the heat resistant negative.
>>754754
Yer my fine handy work isn't that great.
>>
>>754756
A plaster/sand mix works well. You could also look at sand resin molds.
>>
>>754748
For most molds you use greensand casting. Those use sand and water. For molds that have much finer details the water is replaced with an oil. For small molds that will have a special texture on them you can use cuttlebone casting.

Cuttlebone Casting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9CBPZMjOFI

Greensand Casting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ4mLdyp-Zw

For greensand, it can be just about anything, like beach sand if you really wanted to. But, the finer the sand, the finer the detail you can do. Google/youtube for tons more videos and stuff on how to do all this.
>>
>>754748
> Does /diy/ know a way to make some moulds?

Green Sand - Its a mix of fine grain sand, Bentonite clay and water.

Although I've made ghetto style green sand from river silt, red clay and water which is only marginally shiter than Bentonite sand.

That or Investment casting, which requires heat treatment.

It really depends on what you want to make.
>>
>>754793
Oh, and Lost Foam casting is a nice simple way to make castings (and annihilate unwanted Expanded Polystyrene).
>>
>>754752
How did they make the molds before 3D printers then?
>>
>>755070
CNC?
>>
Isn't it easier to carve wax directly to make the positive?
I also heard of lost-PLA casting for 3d printed molds.
>>
>>755070
By any means necessary. In the original-original process, you handcarved each pattern from beeswax, and the investment (mould material) was a mixture of clay, sand, and cow dung. In more modern times, you might cnc a mold for mass-producing wax patterns or directly machine blocks of appropriate wax. For some applications, expanded polystyrene foam is carved into shape, because you instead of using a proper investment material you can pack it in greensand and pour without having to remove it first, it just evaporates on contact with the metal.
>>
>>754752
You can also get directly 3d printed wax patterns or investable plastics (PLA works, so do some SLA resins, ABS sucks).
>>
does anyone do this for scrapping purposes? ie. creating ingots to be taken in to be scrapped? the aluminum/copper/etc. purity would be a bit higher i imagine, and you could get more per unit weight, but is the effort worth it?
>>
>>756435
No. Consider it from the scrap yard's point of view: some random faggot comes and claims that his ingots are made of pure stuff, there are no rocks or other junk inside and that the metal was obtained legally. How willing you're spending time and money on verifying any of that? Are you willing to pay top price for such stuff?
>>
>>756435
>does anyone do this for scrapping purposes?
>but is the effort worth it?

No.

>>756439
You can get licensed or work something out with the scrap yard, but it depends on many factors.
>>
>>754756
you can imprint stuff in special sand.
its really is kind of simple.
you can find a bronze casting factory and buy from them.
>>
>>755070
Painstakingly.
>>
>>754748
>Aluminium
It would help if you spelled aluminum correctly.
>>
>>758472
It's aluminium you illiterate.
>>
>>758472
>>758481
Ohboyherewego.png
>>
>>758481
>>758472
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium#Etymology
>>
>>758472
Americans are despised globally for many reasons, ignorance to spelling conventions is just one
>>
>>754748
>melting down coke cans with some friends in a makeshift forge

>>756435
>does anyone do this for scrapping purposes? ie. creating ingots to be taken in to be scrapped?
Aluminum beverage cans are subsidized for recycling by the beverage industry.
Once you melt them down, they're no longer beverage cans and are worth less by weight as just aluminum.
>>
File: Aluminium.png (34KB, 432x185px) Image search: [Google]
Aluminium.png
34KB, 432x185px
>>758481
There's no I in aluminum.
>>
>>760423
>There's no I in aluminum.
It's between the first M and the N...
>>
File: bait is poor quality.jpg (18KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
bait is poor quality.jpg
18KB, 600x600px
>>760423
>>
>>760423
I like the jpeg name.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJ2jMZ-gaI
>>
File: IMG_2860.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2860.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
Hope I'm not too late to the thread OP since this is pretty much the only shit I do.

During summer me and my friends made a makeshift aluminum forge. We also made our own charcoal which also takes a shit load of time but it's worth it since normal charcoal is kind of pricey.

I'm assuming you watched king of random since you used fire extinguisher as crucible, but I just used those mixing metal cocktail cups.

I've casted a bunch of stuff (pic related), and also since I get a steady supply sell them on ebay.

I use greensand casting which was pretty easy and cheap to get into, and I try casting whenever I have charcoal ready.

Ask me any questions man :)

I have a lot more ingots from cupcake molds I made but that's in the basement and I don't feel like wastin my atp's.
>>
>>760423
The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990 but, three years later, recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant. Hence their periodic table includes both.
Most countries use the spelling aluminium. In the United States and Canada, the spelling aluminum predominates
>>
>>754753
where did you buy it? i need one but i dont know how to obtain it
>>
i work at a bicycle workshop and ive always wanted to get into this. We throw away so much aluminium every week its ridiculous.

Pro tip. Ask your local bike shop for garbage pedalarms. They crossthread pretty easily. makes them garbage
>>
>>761403
I've been a bicycle mechanic for 3 years, while yes, we do throw away many aluminum and steel components, the steel is of terrible quality and sometimes as is the aluminium. I brought home some components at one point and the amount of shit and slag that came out of it was absurd. If you're gonna look for aluminum from bicycle components, see if it's within the top 5 group sets from either shimano or sram, and for the love of god, please don't melt campagnolo
>>
>>761403
>We throw away so much aluminium every week its ridiculous.
>>761673
>we do throw away many aluminum components
current recycle value of mixed cast aluminum is ~70 cents per pound
>throwing away money...
>>
>>761716
One of my neighbors just threw away 4 truck rims/tires the other day. I grabbed them and am taking off the tires right now. Kind of a pain to break the bead, but easy money. I guess some people just don't care.
>>
>>761716
Yeah, this.

Split your garbage into ferrous, aluminium and garbage, and take the first two to a scrappie whenever you have a full wheelie bin.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.